Thursday, July 23, 2026

The Crispy Garden


Thanks to all of you who made it through yesterdays TL;DR post! I won't do that to you again, I promise. I just had to write all of that down to help me process the day. I seriously think I have a little PTSD from the camera theft, but it is easing.

Here's what the garden looks like upon our return. Warren, our house-sitter, did a good job keeping most everything alive, but as you can see the grass is getting brown and many of the plants are sagging. It's not even hot at the moment, though it apparently was during our absence. Now it's just bone-dry. We have watering restrictions so all our maintenance for the foreseeable future will have to be done with watering cans.

It appears we did lose one of the ferns I planted earlier in the spring, and one of my sunflowers was somehow broken off at the base. Oh well.

The indoor plants are mostly OK, but I suspect Warren watered a bit too lightly because a few are in a sad state -- mainly the maidenhair ferns, which like dampness. Or maybe it got too hot in the house. In any case, they should bounce back.


On the plus side, our orange dahlia is blooming...


...and we have some new zinnias coming out...


...and this geranium, which I bought from Waitrose in the spring because it was wilted and looked so pathetic, is now doing great and has given us flowers. I didn't know what color they'd be but I like this light orangey-pink.

I spent yesterday doing laundry, and I'm only about halfway through the task. It's amazing how many clothes two people can go through during a two-week trip, and we had a bag of laundry washed on the ship! Ninety-plus degree weather didn't help. We had to change twice a day.

Speaking of laundry, here's a new t-shirt that Dave bought me, in honor of our recent unwanted garden guests:


I thought it was hilarious. We haven't seen Ratthew since our return. I hope we've successfully driven him (and all his family) away by getting rid of the bird feeders.

Dave asked yesterday if he should start looking at dogs to adopt. I said yes, though my head is still spinning from the trip. Getting a dog will help break me out of my PTSD, forcing me to look forward rather than back. Besides, it's going to take some time to find one we like, get approved by the animal rescue group, and start the fostering process. Dave has to do the initial screening because I'll want to adopt every single animal. As I told him, I'd have happily taken any (or all!) of those dogs we saw at the Villa Borghese on Tuesday (photo in yesterday's post).

Anyway, time to get that ball rolling. It's been just over a year since Olga died.

At the risk of making you all crazy, I will say one more thing about the camera. I think what hit me so hard about this experience wasn't just the loss of the object, but the scary feeling that my brain just isn't working as well as it used to. It freaks me out that I have no clear, specific memory of carrying that camera into the restaurant or where I put it when we sat down. Did I put it on my left or my right? Why didn't I keep the strap over my leg as I always do? Why didn't I set my hat on top of the bag, as I always do? Did I even really have it with me? Could it have been taken from our hotel room, or did I leave it in the lobby during our chaotic check-in? I cannot definitively answer any of these questions, which makes me feel diminished and maybe even a little loony.

I did file a claim with our travel insurance company, so we'll see where that goes.

56 comments:

  1. I like the t-shirt! 🤣

    It is understandable that the camera loss affects you, I‘d be the same, because like you I usually take precautions when I‘m out and about, and I nearly always know exactly where any of my personal belongings (as they call them on the trains) are. My handbag was stolen FROM MY DESK (not normally accessible to the public) at the library when I was 19 years old and still a librarian in the making. It was traumatising.

    The dahlia is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Personal belongings" is one of those phrases that drives me crazy. What other kind of belongings are there?

      Theft really does make a person feel violated!

      Delete
  2. The dahlia is one you could warm cold hands over. The rest of the garden looks fine to me, but I can't see and smell and feel so I'll take your word that it is dried. Can't wait to see the new dog/puppy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a nice image -- warming hands over the dahlia! I like that.

      Delete
  3. I so understand your feelings about the loss of the camera. I lost my car keys ( with house key) a while ago. I had merely parked my car, locked it, keys in pocket, gone to the dentist..coat on a chair in the surgery, but when I got back to the car...no keys. Dentist said they weren't there and they never turned up. Really upset me for weeks. How, why, where? No answers.
    Can't wait for you to get another dog.....I got my boy from Appledown Rescue near Whipsnade Zoo. I expect you will find a pup in London, but happy to drive you (half an hour)to Appledown if the right dog turned up there.
    I have 5 pots from last year with. various dahlias in.....lots of growth but no sign of flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the offer re. Appledown! We're starting with All Dogs Matter, which is where we got Olga, but I'll keep your offer in mind. Yeah, the worst part of the camera affair (like your keys) is that I will never fully know what happened.

      Delete
  4. I love the Tshirt, I do hope you have sorted your ratty problem, ours are back again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't seen ours so I'm hopeful! (But skeptical.)

      Delete
  5. That T-shirt makes me laugh. Ratthew sounds like how Astro (Elroy‘s dog) would say it. I can’t stop hearing it. Ratthew? Ratthew? I hope you can stop being so hard on yourself about the camera. It’s not a failing of yours. Shit happens. I can’t believe Olga has been gone a year. I look forward to falling in love with your next family member.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! It DOES sound like Astro! I do blame myself for the camera, but my feelings are easing as the days pass.

      Delete
  6. You are both home, safe and well. The holiday was delightful. You had insurance.
    Let it go now. The thief was a professional, a regular, targeting people in busy areas. You lost a camera, the thief lost his immortal soul.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you're a PINOAD. Person in need of a dog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wishing for cooler temps and a spot of rain. Over the years I have spent two or three months in England, a week or two at at time, and I can't remember ever being rained on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really?! You must be here mainly in the summer. It's by far our driest season.

      Delete
  9. I lost a Camera at Work one day and it had been a recent Gift from a Blog Friend who sent it all the way from Canada to me, so I was mortified that I was careless or forgetful... or didn't pay close enuf attention and someone stole it while my back was turned {I was in my Showroom at the Antique Mall}. So, I Feel your Emotional turmoil about your Camera. I'm catching up on my Blog Reads so need to go thru your Archived Posts now to get the whole Story of what happened, or you think might have happened? Love the Shirt, it is hilarious. We just humanely trapped and relocated Two Mice that showed up, ate some of my Cactus on the Windowsill and would sit there looking at us thru that Kitchen Window!!! A Big one and a little one that might have been it's Offspring. So far, no others have been trapped and had to be relocated to a less Residential setting. I wanted them to live out their best little Lives, just somewhere else. *Smiles*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's terrible about your camera. I don't understand how thieves can live with themselves! Bravo for relocating the mice. I considered doing that for our rats but I think they may have relocated themselves.

      Delete
  10. To be fair, about the brain not working, you were in a foreign country, on holiday, traveling aboard ship and across land and the trip was winding down.
    That's a lot going on.
    Glad you've decided on getting another dog. I think you need dog energy again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bob. I do think I was quite overwhelmed at that moment, having gone through a chaotic morning after a long trip. I do need dog energy!

      Delete
  11. The inability to focus on such things as we could when we were younger definitely is an aging problem. I see it all around me in my elders and I too am not looking forward to the process. The ones that seem most able to focus are those that are never in a hurry and this is my plan of attack for limiting the effects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a sensible plan. Taking one's time makes a big difference. If I'd taken my time leaving that restaurant maybe the outcome would have been different!

      Delete
  12. I find my short term memory is not very good anymore, unless I concentrate a lot. It's frustrating and requires more mental effort.
    The same thing happened to me when I was pregnant with my son 42 years ago. I left my purse beside my foot and someone took it. Long story but I got it back.
    I'm looking forward to seeing your new dog. Sending hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness you got it back! At least there was a happy ending!

      Delete
  13. Don't be so hard on yourself. You were at the end of a long trip and of course you were worn out by then. Focus on the future - new camera, new dog, back to spending time in your garden. Relax and enjoy your wonderful life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ellen. I appreciate your words of encouragement.

      Delete
  14. In a strange land, in an unfamiliar situation, it's not surprising you cannot recall every detail of your days. I doubt you'll wake up one morning shouting 'Eureka' but parts of the day may come back to you. Concentrate on the good memories and enjoy your Ratthew tee shirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think what exactly happened will forever remain a mystery, sadly. I think over time the intensity of this experience will subside and I'll be able to look back on the trip as a whole with much more happiness.

      Delete
  15. I LOVE that t-shirt. It's excellent. So is that dahlia - they're so lovely. I also have memory issues & try very hard not to assume that this is the beginning of the end (because frankly, I've always had issues remembering things). But man, getting older is annoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always had an airhead streak from time to time, so I'm in the same boat. But you can't help but worry whether things are getting worse!

      Delete
  16. When travelling, there are lots of distractions and losing track of the camera bag seems rather normal given the situation. Given what you have described, you likely put the bag on the floor next to your chair at the restaurant. The thief walked by and swiped the bag. At least you did not lose any cash, credit cards or id's. I always think that it could have been worse.
    Getting a dog is a great idea. Having your walking companion again will be fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it could definitely have been worse. If I'd lost my travel documents I'd still be in Italy right now!

      Delete
  17. When things like that happen to me, it takes me a long time to mull it over and over so I know how you feel. Your garden looks good in spite of the heat and low watering. That dahlia is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a "ponderous" thinker. I think things through over and over and slowly arrive at conclusions. Sometimes that takes a while!

      Delete
  18. Steve, remember that you were out of your routine, in a different country. This stuff happens very easily. When I was in Paris back in 2010, I left my backpack on the metro with everything in it. As the train pulled away, I realized it, and yelled "OH SHIT." That's when my friend produced it for me, as she had spied it and grabbed it for me. Crisis averted. I think it is great that you are thinking about getting another dog. Now that you are retired, you will have more time to enjoy the companionship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whew! Thank goodness for your friend! I wish Dave had done the same for me, but of course I can't blame him. He also has no memory of what exactly happened, so we're both in the dark!

      Delete
  19. It's great that Dave brought up the topic of "time to start looking for a dog". And very wise to have him do the initial looking :-)

    I loved River's description of the dahlia - spot on. You'll be busy lugging watering cans for the foreseeable future!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  20. I spend approximately a third of my time these days looking for objects I JUST HAD IN MY HAND! Another third is spent fretting over my very obvious loss of short term memory. The other third? Doing what you're doing- having absolutely no memory of having done certain things that I obviously did.
    And you know what? Some of this is simply very, very normal, some of it I've always done, and some of it...well. I try not to get too scared about it all and remind myself to try and be more present in the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The slippery slope is hard to ignore, but you're right -- some of this forgetfulness is absolutely normal behavior, especially when we're thrown out of our routines.

      Delete
  21. Missed yesterday's post, so sorry about your camera bag & contents, we've all been there. Those refuse guys were really kind to help as much as they did.. Brought back a lot of memories, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, and especially the Piazza Navona. Loved them all, I see Rome still has abundant graffiti. Have to say I loved the collage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trash guys helping me gives this whole sordid tale a silver lining. They and the taxi driver who helped us the previous day.

      Delete
  22. I remember driving away from an Easter Egg hunt when my kids were little (so I was young) with our huge camcorder left sitting on the sidewalk. Of course it was gone when I returned. I stressed for ages about the tape still in it with all our videos on it. As Forrest Gump said, "shit happens".

    I can't believe Olga has been gone that long. It's definitely the right time to begin the search. I'd be like you and want to save EVERYone.

    Meanwhile.... that dahlia!! 😍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! That's a very similar situation to mine, so you know my pain! I've told Dave I'd be willing to take two dogs if we come across two that seem to go together, like siblings or dogs that lived together in a previous household.

      Delete
  23. I like the tee-shirt and the orange dahlia looks amazing.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love that orange dahlia and the shirt. Unique!! I freak out when I can't remember things or what I just did. It makes me feel incompetent. Or perhaps just old? I'm excited for this new dog journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how when we're young, we just think we're forgetting. But when we're older we worry we're losing our minds!

      Delete
  25. Sunbathing girl 💔
    Adopt a Terrier (Staffordshire Bull) Cross Rescue Dog | Stella | Dogs Trust https://share.google/hNLsDWAkLgkoiv4Zg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stella is adorable! I will forward her to Dave!

      Delete
  26. If I am stressed or concerned about anything, that is when I will do something stupid, and I have left things behind in such situations, fortunately I've quickly realised or the honesty of strangers has prevailed. I've recognised this and put in place certain behaviours to reduce or eliminate such mistakes. Nothing is more stressful to me than air travel.

    I'm very happy and excited to hear you are soon to get a new dog. Won't this be fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Traveling is always hard. When we get out of our routines we're vulnerable. And I was extra cautious that morning, checking all my stuff multiple times before we got to the hotel -- but somehow once I was there I let my guard down.

      Delete
  27. Don't be too hard on yourself about the bag. Chalk it up to the chaos of the day and the chaos that is often Rome. A busy, busy city.
    One of my vivid memories of my last time in Rome was walking near St Peter's Square with a friend who is a Dominican priest. A raggedly dressed woman was dragging a suitcase (which looked empty) and several children behind her while pleading for money "to get home." My priest friend made short work of her as he said that area was her daily "route" and given the sharp conversation between them (very loud and highly amusing as I understood it even with my limited Italian). She was a professional huckster. I saw her at least three more times during that stay. Same schtick every time.
    Good luck with the canine companion search. I had to wait at least a year after my previous pup died before getting another dog, so I get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a funny thing to witness -- a priest excoriating a local con artist! I'm doing my best to forgive myself. I'm getting there. It really WAS a crazy morning.

      Delete
  28. Re-entry is hard -- even when you think there will be little to do but laundry, dozens of things pop up (or in your case, dozens of plants!). I'm glad to hear about the future dog search. It takes awhile to be ready to do it -- but you know when it is time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're exactly right -- there are lots of tasks to complete including many I hadn't planned on! (You've experienced this too with your return from the lake!)

      Delete