Saturday, August 8, 2026
A Dish and Parched Westminster
Our sunflower is as high as the satellite dish on the outer wall of our living room! In fact I had to move the planter to the side by a few inches to keep the flower from bonking into the dish as it grew. I should blog a picture of the whole thing so you can see it in context.
That dish is old and no longer works -- as you can see part of it is broken off and hanging, and we've removed the related cabling indoors. We've asked the landlords to take down the dish as well. (Doing so requires tools that we don't have, not to mention a ladder.) Mrs. Kravitz has complained about it and it's true that the side of the house would look much neater without it and all its associated "gubbins," as the landlord called the bits and bobs required for such a device.
That's the Russians' terrace above the dish. Or the terrace of their apartment, now occupied by another family. I still haven't met them. Bailey is barking less at their upstairs noises, so that's a good sign. I think she's getting used to hearing them.
Speaking of Bailey, I'm sure you're all wondering how our adventures in London went yesterday. I took her into Westminster to meet my friend Chris, a former co-worker, for lunch. We met in Parliament Square (above) and went walking along the Thames back to Vauxhall, where Chris lives.
Look at the poor sad grass in that picture. All of England looks like that -- absolutely parched. Here are some dramatic photos, and here are more. The grass will bounce back, if it ever rains again, but for now it looks like California. In fact the weather feels like California -- days and days of sunshine and temperatures in the 70s and 80s F. It would be paradise if all of nature weren't struggling.
I had Chris take a photo of us on Westminster Bridge. Bailey was very interested in what was going on beyond the railing. (A big boat had just gone by.)
As we walked along the south bank of the Thames, we passed a dry spot in the river where lots of seagulls had gathered. They weren't making noise and Bailey couldn't see them, but she must have been able to smell them, because she kept trying to peer over the railing.
Finally we found a pub called the Pilgrim in Vauxhall, and we sat out on the patio. We spread Bailey's blanket on the ground and she settled in and was perfectly calm. I had Waldorf salad with chicken and a beer, and then we moved on to another pub for a second beer. Bailey only ever got overexcited if she saw another dog, as per usual, and fortunately they were few and far between in the middle of a weekday.
We left Chris at a plant nursery near his flat -- he was buying some stuff to revive the plantings on his outdoor terrace -- and Bailey and I made our way back to Westminster and the tube. (And she was fine on the tube, by the way -- didn't seem to mind it at all, though I'm pretty sure it was her first time.)
All in all, a good day out and a good test of the dog's behavior. I'm more and more pleased and comfortable with the way she conducts herself, and we're both more and more comfortable in each other's company. I think Dave is a little jealous that I'm creating such a one-on-one bond with Bailey, but he returns on Monday so he'll have plenty of time with her after that. I know she'll be ready for "chair time" in his recliner!






What a good girl she is turning out to be...well done Bailey!
ReplyDeleteGood girl Bailey! What is that fancy structure in the last picture? Is it the Jeffrey Epstein Memorial Fountain?
ReplyDeleteHa! That is the Buxton Memorial Fountain, erected by the Victorians to recognize the abolition of slavery.
Deletehttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buxton_Memorial_Fountain
It's lovely to read about Bailey's education and new family life. Great job!
ReplyDeleteVery very dry and here too and keeping fingers crossed that the rain when it eventually comes will not be a deluge.
I bet Bailey thinks she is in some sort of dog heaven getting to go on all these long walks and have all these new experiences.
ReplyDeleteI agree w/Ed: Bailey must think she is in heaven. She won the lottery having you and Dave adopt her.
ReplyDeleteDogs may have their favourite person, but they do love all of their pack.
ReplyDeleteIt seems she is doing so well.
I am so glad for you that Bailey seems to be settling in. I am still amazed that dogs can go on the subway and trains. I remember photos of Olga on a train. I checked out the links about England being so parched. Wow. The brown grass puts everything into perspective. For us, we've had tons of rain. Last Tuesday-Wednesday we had over three inches!
ReplyDelete