Wednesday, August 5, 2026
Cat Art
Just like when I used to walk with Olga, I'm finding interesting things out and about with Bailey. Yesterday afternoon on Agamemnon Road (my favorite local street name), we passed all this artwork set out for the taking. Someone's obviously having a clear-out.
I couldn't resist two of the pieces, a watercolor and a pencil drawing:
I can't tell if the drawing is original, but I think so. The watercolor certainly is.
I have no idea where I'm going to put them, but we need some good cat art around here. We might even have a cat or two if not for Bailey (who hates them) and Dave (who is allergic to them).
I finished off the Thom Gunn biography yesterday. The end of his life was rather tumultuous and sad -- he was sensitive about aging and losing his looks, and becoming increasingly involved with party drugs like methamphetamine, which ultimately led to his demise. I think people who were attractive in their younger lives often really struggle with getting older, but so far it hasn't been much of a problem for me -- perhaps because I was never much of a looker in the first place. What have I got to lose?! There's a weird kind of freedom in that, and it makes a good discussion question for your next dinner party -- is it better to experience being young and beautiful but then lose it all, or better to be consistently average looking? The latter certainly makes for an easier, quieter life.
(Of course older people can be beautiful too. Quiet down out there!)
Anyway, I enjoyed the book overall and belatedly realized that the subtitle, "A Cool Queer Life," comes from a line in a Thomas Hardy poem, "Her Second Husband Hears Her Story." At the end, after the wife has related a macabre tale about the death of her first husband, her second spouse exclaims, "Well, it's a cool queer tale!" Gunn used it in his book "Boss Cupid," and as biographer Michael Nott perceived, it summed up his life as a sort of double-entendre.
I also worked in the garden part of the morning. I dismantled the log pile in the back corner left over from the work done on our elder trees. I'd intended to leave it as wildlife habitat, but alas, the only wildlife I've seen in the vicinity is Ratthew, and that's not exactly what I had in mind. So I swept up all the leaves and twigs and smaller stuff -- all of it bone dry and not containing any life at all, as far as I could tell -- and put it in bags to be collected as yard waste. I'm not sure yet what to do with the few big logs that are left, but at least there's a lot less cover now for Ratthew.
Belly-rub face!
And here's a funny Bailey fact -- she watches television! Last night I was watching "The Comeback" starring Lisa Kudrow, which is a good if occasionally painfully cringey show, and in one scene Kudrow's character, Valerie Cherish, holds a squirming puppy. Bailey was immediately interested in the puppy, and jumped down to stand right in front of the TV watching it intently. She also looked behind the TV to see if the puppy was there!
I've never had a pet that responded to the television, so this is a first for me.
I'm once again using the opportunity of Dave's absence to eat down a lot of the food we have stockpiled in this house. We had some chicken and some bolognese sauce in the freezer, and once food goes into the freezer Dave is always loath to use it. He says freezing changes the texture. Philistine that I am, I don't even notice that -- so I've been eating it up. When it's gone I'll probably wind up eating bizarre combinations of odd ingredients, like dinner rolls, jalapeno peppers and peanut butter -- but I'm not there yet!





There is a big hairy dog lives near here called Agamemnon..!
ReplyDeleteThe cat pictures are delightful, especially the watercolour.
I agree with Dave about freezing home cooked food. Some veg. goes soft and unpleasant, especially new potatoes and broccoli I have found.
Yeah, vegetables do not always freeze well. In this case it was chicken and (separately) meat sauce, so to my taste they were fine!
Delete"I think people who were attractive in their younger lives often really struggle with getting older..." Yes we do! It's so dispiriting when your modelling contracts dry up and nuns no longer wolf whistle when you stroll past the local convent. As for Bailey watching TV, our old cat Boris also used to watch the telly and more than once responded excitedly to birdlife coverage.
ReplyDeleteI've had three cats and multiple dogs, and none of them noticed the TV. But this one does!
DeleteI had another cat who loved football on the TV and would chase the ball, it was in a big wooden cabinet with doors, she always sat in the top.
ReplyDeleteHa! I've seen videos of cats chasing balls on TV screens.
DeleteYou got some very nice free-for-the-taking art. Lucky finds.
ReplyDeleteFood is food and I, like you, eat frozen foods and notice no difference.
My dogs watch TV too. They also like dog online videos. Sometimes they bark back at the screen. Bailey looking for the dog behind the TV is pretty smart thinking.
I can't imagine the effort taken to hold on to youthful beauty. It all seems like too much work.
To your last point -- especially because it's futile!
DeleteBeing not much of a looker myself, I can relate. I enjoy just being able to go out in public and not give a rip about what people think of me. But I do draw the line at wearing pajamas to Walmart which is a thing here these days. https://www.facebook.com/groups/243975529406909/
ReplyDeleteI wouldn't recommend eating any Jalapenos that are from the U.S. right now as they are wrapped up in the "explosive diarrhea epidemic" that is going around.
https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/chipotle-removes-jalapenos-over-salmonella-concerns-267767365898
Ha! Yeah, I've never worn pajamas to a store and don't intend to begin now. Our jalapenos are in a jar, fortunately. (I doubt I will eat them. I hate jalapenos.)
DeleteShirley LOVES to watch TV. Every night, when we go into the den to watch something, she comes with us. When we were watching "All Creatures Great and Small" she would stand there and just watch the animals, occasionally whining when she saw a cat. We were watching a show the other day with two people riding a horse. Shirley was mesmerized!
ReplyDeleteYou wonder what's going through their brains when they see a TV. They must be really confused.
DeleteScore on the free art. I would have grabbed those two myself!
ReplyDeleteI love Bailey's belly rub face and her watching TV. Tuxedo used to run to the TV and watch if there was a dog barking; as soon as it stopped he moved on.
Did Tuxedo respond to cats on the TV?
DeleteYou could keep the logs and some scraps in the corner for useful insects.
ReplyDeleteWell, that was my original goal, but as I said, there are no insects -- perhaps because everything is so dry? I just can't provide a habitat for rodents.
DeleteOnly bizarre by external standards.
ReplyDeleteTrue! And it's going in my stomach, so who cares what anyone else thinks? :)
DeleteWarning? Here in Connecticut we have a toxic algae, cyanobacteria, and it's dangerous for people and dogs. The Heath water looks the same, we have duckweed as well but the bacteria has closed over the whole pond, no swimming here in my area and I looked and there's a warning for Hampstead Heath as well. My dog looks longingly at all ponds we go by. Please check for Baily.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your concern! I always look for signs of algae and I believe on the Heath they'd post a warning if it were a problem. Where did you see the warning you mention? I've Googled and don't see any current warnings for the Heath.
DeleteSorry, I can’t find it either but the ladies pond does have blue-green algae but at a safe level. Anyway I guess I just looked at Bailey in the green coated water and projected all our toxic ponds over to London. I guess I’m an over-reactive worrier.
DeleteWell, thanks for looking out for Bailey. She appreciates it too. I will be conscientious about algae dangers, I promise. :)
DeleteI've been struggling because I FINALLY lost all that excess weight (72 pounds), but I'm old, so I certainly don't look little & cute. Ha!
ReplyDeleteI love that Bailey watches TV. Maybe you need to get her a puppy.
Congratulations on your weight-loss! It is a struggle!
DeleteYes, congrats on losing that weight. It will make a big difference to your health, which is more important than anything else!
DeleteI would have bought those same two -- in fact, before I saw the close-ups, I was eyeing those in the "group" photo. That top one bears a resemblance to a cat I know and love (!) and the bottom has wonderful detail. True story -- Kevin's dog Charlie was insane about TV. Any time an animal with four legs came on -- horse or dog, usually -- he went crazy, barking at it! Here's hoping Bailey keeps her interest silent. (But if you have a channel that gets Animal Planet or similar, it's good for grins to turn it on!)
ReplyDeleteBailey barks a bit at the TV. In fact she barks more than I'd like. :(
DeleteBailey looks so cute watching the TV. Those art pieces you brought home are very nice. I like them both. I ate a pasta dish yesterday that I had frozen a couple of weeks ago. The pasta was orzo and it did change its texture a lot. It was mushy. I must remember that orzo does not freeze well.
ReplyDeleteI guess being a small noodle it probably doesn't reheat well!
DeleteBeing a cat person, I love those two pictures!
ReplyDeleteMy Maine Coon use to watch the PBS wildlife shows!
I've seen lots of videos of cats watching TV but I haven't experienced it myself!
DeleteI like the watercolor, loose and expressive. The pencil drawing is good to though I think I would like it better without the background. Bailey is definitely a different dog than Olga. You could just line the logs along the bottom of the back wall.
ReplyDeleteYeah, the pencil drawing is a bit busy, I agree. I could leave the logs as long as they no longer provide cover for rodents.
DeleteI wonder if Bailey was responding to the puppy on TV because of her recent pups. She may still be wondering where they are. That makes me a little sad. Or perhaps she just likes puppies!
ReplyDeleteI think your theory about people who are beautiful when they are young is spot on. However, I believe it mostly applies to people who knowingly traded in on their looks. Models, actors, and so forth. There are quite a few people who have no idea how good looking they are and along with that, no idea how positively people respond to them because of those looks.
I wondered about the puppies too. I have no idea how long ago Bailey had her most recent (perhaps only?) litter, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's why she reacted so strongly to the puppy. It IS kind of sad, poor girl.
DeleteI love that people put things out at the front of their houses that is free for the taking. The pencil drawing of the cat is beautiful, I would definitely have picked that one up.
ReplyDeleteAll our dogs except for one JR who just couldn't focus on the screen at all, although she reacted to all the sounds, have watched television. Mavis, Suky and Ginger especially loved television. After Mavis was stolen she always reacted to the sound of puppies in distress and rushed in to see the television, | felt so sorry for her.
Mavis was stolen?! That's terrible! Poor thing!
Deletehttps://ournewlifeinthecountry.blogspot.com/2014/09/my-one-thousand-mile-weekend.html
DeleteOne cat we had loved snooker.
ReplyDeleteThe watercolour is a good one - I hope Dave doesn't come home and find he's allergic to cat pictures!
Ha! I can see how a cat would be attracted to snooker!
DeleteGreat choices on the art! That belly rub face is the sweetest’
ReplyDeleteXoxo
Barbara
She does love a belly rub, LOL!
DeleteI love the watercolor, loose and free, but not the overworked drawing.
ReplyDeleteI had a dog who loved All Creatures. Nothing else, but she'd be intent on every move each week. I suppose it was the animals, because she had no interest in human centered programs.
I do like the freedom of the watercolor. A shame about those stray gray marks. I wonder if I could "erase" them somehow, without damaging the painting? Any advice?
DeleteI'd leave it alone, rather than risk damaging the surface. I think it's fine.
DeleteThat's very cool that Bailey watches TV. I have to be careful of Mari because if there are birds on my set, she wants to jump up and scratch the screen to get them. I can't have that! In some ways (not all, especially my neck), I think I'm better looking now than I was in my youth.
ReplyDeleteHave you seen Nora Ephron's book "I Feel Bad About My Neck"? (I'm not necessarily recommending it -- I've heard mixed reviews.) I doubt Mari would hurt your TV screen, but I could be wrong!
DeleteI would have to agree with you that beautiful people have a harder time aging, although probably not all beautiful people. Age is the great leveler when it comes to looks.
ReplyDeleteThat artwork that you picked up is beautiful.
"Age is the great leveller" -- I like that! So true.
DeleteDoes Bailey "help" you any in the garden or just supervise from her cushion like Olga did? She's smart to look behind the TV for the puppy! I like the cat art.
ReplyDeleteShe's a little more involved than Queen Olga, but mostly she runs around barking at squirrels and rustling trees. LOL
DeleteI like the cat art you've shown here.
ReplyDeleteGreat pictures of Bailey.
All the best Jan
If you head to Agamemnon Road you might find more available cat art!
DeleteI like that photo of Bailey watching TV!
ReplyDeleteNo one is looking at me so I can wear what I want. It's very freeing!
Exactly! There's a lot of freedom that comes with age.
DeleteNice to get some free art on your walk and your selections are very nice, Steve. If you can't have a cat for the reasons you mentioned than the art is a good substitute and requires no attention, another plus! Bailey and you seem to be bonding well in Dave's absence. The chicken and bolognese sauce sound good.
ReplyDeleteExactly -- these are my "virtual cats"!
DeleteThose cat pieces are charming. Is Bailey still limping?
ReplyDeleteNah, that went away overnight. Just a temporary thing.
DeleteNow Bailey watching TV is a good one. Most dogs don't catch on to TV. They just don't seem to connect it to anything.
ReplyDeleteI wonder if dogs growing up around TV as puppies are more likely to see and respond to it as adults? It seems like more animals "watch" TV nowadays than did when I was younger.
DeleteI am so pleased to hear that Bailey is hilarious! She has passed the test!
ReplyDeleteShe definitely has her moments!
DeleteI love the art you chose. Other than the fact that Dave is allergic and Olga hates them... you could have a dozen cats. Great shots of beautiful Bailey. Our cat Dudo watched TV and initially looked behind the set, too. Moose had apparently normal cat vision and didn’t even give the TV a glance unless he heard something of interest. Interesting discussion topic, youthful beauty or not. I do have an opinion.
ReplyDeleteYes, and.....? :)
DeleteOK. I do think you’re on to something with the thought that youthful beauty could make accepting aging more difficult. I knew a number of guys who had been adorable who remained so, and single and popular for years. They knew their place in the social order. When they hit their 40s they had a really hard time giving up that adorable place and finding their way. It’s not always the case but I do remember so many.
Delete