Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Child of Nicole


Dave and I played host yesterday to one of my former library co-workers, Staci, who came over to hang out for a bit and exchange school gossip. She and Dave reminded me that I would have been going back to work this week if not for the fact that I retired. I swear, every year the return date creeps up a little bit. Staci has already been in for meetings and Dave goes back early next week. (Different people return at different times based on their responsibilities.)

All I can say is, thank goodness I'm out of the mix. This is when I've expected the fact that I'm retired to really hit me -- when everyone else is returning and I'm not. So far I'm not feeling any negative emotions about that.

Anyway, we ate lunch in the garden and drank rosé as Bailey snoozed nearby on her blanket. There's already talk of people I don't know, as Dave and Staci compared notes on new faculty and staff and students. I, meanwhile, told the story of my stolen camera as well as all our adventures in Italy and Croatia.

Speaking of my stolen camera, as I was telling the tale I was inspired to check the "Find My" app on my iPhone and see if the AirPods were still in the same location in Rome. And no! They had moved -- they were now here. Presumably still parked in a car, though, because they're in the middle of another street. It will be interesting to watch them move around, at least until the battery dies or they are discarded. (Presumably someone is going to realize that I can see where they are, although maybe they don't care, because it's not like I can do anything about it.)


While walking Bailey yesterday I noticed this plant growing in a crack in the street pavement out front. Can you tell what it is? The sticky leaves give it away -- it's a Nicotiana, presumably one of the children of Nicole, which probably re-seeded itself last fall after I cut off the seed stalks and discarded them in our garden waste bag. Too bad it's growing in a place where it will never get big enough to flower.

At least we have one in our garden that is destined to have a future.

It's a pleasant 63º F (or 17º C) this morning, but it's destined to get up to 90º F (32º C) later this afternoon. And tomorrow will be even hotter. But at least the nights cool off -- that's a major plus.

20 comments:

  1. One the schools are all back you can enjoy being out when it's not so busy, you can still people watch, just a slower pace. Cooler nights are great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never thought I'd be grateful that it's getting dark earlier but it certainly helps for cooler sleeping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still remember that huge feeling of relief the first few months after I retired ... no more 6:30 am alarms, battling through traffic to find a parking spot then a full day's work with all the stress.
    Enjoy yourself, Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not looking forward to the heat tomorrow.......I might have to ask my friend in the tiny, air conditioned convenience shop , where I get the newspaper ,for a job !! He often has a padded winter coat on as it is so chilly in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you gave your guest the upright seat at the outdoor table.
    Being retired still hits me on Monday morning as from the balcony I see the traffic congestion grow. Suckers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That would be so frustrating to know where your stuff is and not be able to do anything to get it back, at least legally.

    I expect teachers are probably more suited towards retirement than most since they are used to having months off every year anyway. I know for me it was a shock to the system but I rarely had more than a week off at any given time before. Now 14 years later, I find myself panicking if I have more than a couple obligations on my calendar in any given week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on not having to return to work this week! That must be a really nice feeling. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We're at a cope-able 25 degrees at the moment but it's destined to rise a bit this afternoon. Us Northerners cannot cope with this. The joy of NOT going back to work never wears off. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe the AirPods are trying to make their way home?????

    ReplyDelete
  10. Retirement takes a while settle in, you seem to be doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You seem to be handling retirement quite well, Steve, and that’s a positive as many others do not. Interesting to read that the AirPods have been traveling. Any news on the camera claim?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Around here there is no cooling at night, and the humidity doesn't abate. At this point I'm happy for humidity under 50%. I can't believe how early people are going back to school. A full month here to go yet. A bit less for teachers and admin. I doubt if you'll have much FOMO!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My grandchildren started back to school today. The mothers are not unhappy about this. I'm glad you're not feeling any sort of negative emotions about not going back. You were REALLY over it, weren't you?
    Your garden setting for your lunch looks lovely and Bailey only adds to the charm.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That little baby Nicole could very well get big enough to flower as long as no one disturbs it. I never had any qualms about retiring from the etched glass. I'd been over it for several years already. The cast glass just petered out. It's nice not to have any demanding timelines.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great garden setting for you and your guest to enjoy. Every time I think of kids and teachers going back to school in August, it surprises me. That just seems too early.
    It's a tiny bit cooler here today. It's going to stay in the upper 90's. It will be a while before we see 63 again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Life moves on so quickly when you leave your place of work. Never mind, Dave can keep you up to date. Enjoy that delicious feeling of knowing that everyone else still has to turn up and you don't!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have a great life and keep busy with the garden, hobbies and travel. Bailey being new to the mix adds greatly as well.
    I'm not surprised you do not miss working.
    Our schools re-open right after Labor Day.
    Surprisingly, I had a foxglove growing in a crack between a stone wall and asphalt. It grew 3 feet tall and flowered.
    Gratis of tech, your camera is moving about. Hopefully your insurance claim comes through soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Our nights are not cooling off. It was almost 80 when I went out for my walk before dawn, but at least the humidity was only 88%.
    It's so nice to see Bailey lounging in the garden. I've missed that over the past year.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've enjoyed being retired but I can never sleep late. I always wake up around the time I used to wake up for work.
    Your garden lunch table looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's fascinating about the air buds! The garden looks just beautiful -- I love how you have the table set. Staci must have felt very pampered. And Bailey looks delightful, ready to enjoy the party!

    ReplyDelete