
Yesterday was devoted to righting what felt like a massive imbalance in my life -- my lack of a good camera. Ever since I lost my camera in Italy I've felt incomplete, and although the phone camera has served me well, I'd had several moments when I wanted to take a picture and couldn't because I didn't have the right lenses or capabilities.
The eclipse was a prime example. I don't know anything about the mechanics of photographing an eclipse, but I felt that I missed an opportunity to learn.
So yesterday I took the tube into town and went to Park Cameras and got myself back on track.
I thought I knew where the camera shop was, but as it turns out I did not. I took the tube to the wrong stop and wound up walking a bit to get to where I needed to go. But in a way that wasn't so bad, since it gave me a chance to stretch my legs and take a few phone pictures in Soho...
The eclipse was a prime example. I don't know anything about the mechanics of photographing an eclipse, but I felt that I missed an opportunity to learn.
So yesterday I took the tube into town and went to Park Cameras and got myself back on track.
I thought I knew where the camera shop was, but as it turns out I did not. I took the tube to the wrong stop and wound up walking a bit to get to where I needed to go. But in a way that wasn't so bad, since it gave me a chance to stretch my legs and take a few phone pictures in Soho...
...like this one of The George pub, with some building work going on behind it.
Eventually I got to Park, told the guys there my situation, and wound up buying a Canon EOS R6 Mark III, and replacing the three lenses that I lost (I got slightly different ones, but with similar capabilities). While the camera I lost was a DSLR, this camera is mirrorless, which means it doesn't have an internal mirror and is entirely digital in its viewfinding. That may not mean much to you, but it's a newer technology and manufacturers aren't really making DSLRs anymore, so it seemed like the way to go.
So basically, I've replaced my kit and I now have a lighter, smaller camera that does everything my old camera used to do. And I've ordered a camera bag identical to my old one (which should arrive in a few days).
I can't tell you how happy this makes me. I was practically in tears walking away from the camera shop.
I haven't had a chance to use it much, because I had to get it home and unboxed, and then I had to charge the battery which took a couple of hours. In this post, only the top photo came out of the new camera. I've also discovered that if I get down on the ground and try to take pictures, Bailey thinks it's playtime and leaps on me with great enthusiasm.
I took the picture above with my phone in the Oxford Street tube station on the way home. That tobacconist looks like it hasn't been open in ages. The Coca-Cola sign dates back to 2012, when we hosted the Olympics, if that's any indication. At first I was confused by "Auto Service," but I assume that means you can serve yourself -- not that they'll fix your car.
In other news, longtime readers might remember my enthusiasm for the book "The Martian Chronicles." Well, I realized the other day that it is now August 2026, and in "The Martian Chronicles," which was written in the 1950s, one of my favorite stories is set in this very month -- "There Will Come Soft Rains," which describes earth after it has been destroyed by atomic war. Specifically, it describes an automated house going on robotically in the absence of its dead owners, making breakfasts that are never eaten and reading poetry to empty rooms. I first heard that story in the seventh grade and I've never forgotten it. Back then, August 2026 seemed like the far-distant future, and yet here we are. We haven't destroyed ourselves with atomic war (yet) but we do have artificial intelligence and Alexa playing us music and helping us run our homes. We are living in a time of science fiction.


I'm glad that I won't live long enough to see all of science fiction becoming real!
ReplyDeleteHave fun with the new camera.
Yeah, same here. Some of that sci-fi was pretty scary!
DeleteI find the thought of you being close to tears after feeling "complete" again with the new camera very touching.
ReplyDeleteThe Martian Chronicles I have never read, but much of what was written in the 1950s and 60s as Science Fiction (in books or for TV) has come true, some of it more than other bits. Several people who worked as scientists and engineers for NASA at that time turned their hand on SF writing, too, and they of course had a good idea of what was realistic, if futuristic, and what wasn't.
I read somewhere that the one big thing no sci-fi author predicted was the Internet.
DeleteSo happy for you and wishing you many years of enjoyment and creativity with the new camera. Can’t wait to see all you capture. That’s chilling to think about The Martian Chronicles and There Will Come Soft Rains. Amazing to consider we’re still here.
ReplyDeleteIt is amazing, honestly. When I was a kid I was sure we'd all be killed in a nuclear war, and in short order.
DeleteI did too. Did you still have air-raid drills at school when you were growing up where you either got under your desk or knelt against the wall in the hallway with your arms covering your head? Ridiculous.
DeleteI remember when Prince's "Party Like It's 1999" seemed way out in the future! I have heard of the Martian Chronicles but it is one of those books that I heard about when I started my multi decade non-fiction reading spree. Non that I'm reading the occasional fiction book (and I'm currently reading "The Martian"), it might be something I'll pick up. I'll probably see if I can find an older copy through Abebooks.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the camera. You are a talented photographer so I'm sure you will get your money's worth out of the new rig.
Yeah, I remember feeling the same about that Prince song! "The Martian Chronicles" is very old-fashioned sci fi but still worth reading.
DeleteI ordered a copy off of Abe books yesterday so maybe this coming week. I made sure to order one before they changed the dates.
DeleteThe George is a very handsome building. I love that style of London architecture.
ReplyDeleteAuto-service - definitely nothing to do with cars! 😉
Ha! Not in a below-ground tube station shop!
DeleteWhat a great photo you took with your new camera! I'm happy for you.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Jennifer!
DeleteI'm so glad you have your camera, it completes you, can't wait to see your photos.
ReplyDeleteYes, I do feel more complete. Now I just have to figure out all the settings and get out and use it!
DeleteThe first photo with your new camera is a very good start, wishing you lots more happy, crystal clear photos in the future. I remember being amazed when '1984' came and went, and then '2001 A Space Odyssey', all these films that saw into the future and either worried or excited us.
ReplyDelete"2001" is one of my favorite movies -- another date that seemed so far in the future and now is long in the past.
DeleteWere you referring to Ray Bradbury? Credit where due.
ReplyDeleteI had no idea the camera was so important to you. I guess we know what you'll grab in an emergency, after Dave and Dog!
Yes, Bradbury (who is heavily credited in the linked post). I think it's safe to say the camera feels like part of my identity.
DeleteThat story is eerie, especially thinking that when it was written it was set so far in the future and now here we are.
ReplyDeleteTime flies, and that IS eerie!
DeleteWhat lenses did you buy? I have two DLSRs, hoping that they will outlast me. When I finished high school 49 years ago, a phone in your pocket, a computer in your pocket, digital photos, GPS, were science fiction, what will happen in the next 49 years.
ReplyDeleteI bought a macro and a zoom, roughly equivalent to the ones I had before (Canon 100mm macro and 100-400mm zoom). I graduated seven years after you and I remember people talking theoretically about eventual pocket computers, but of course we had no idea what they'd look like or be capable of! I often wonder what would happen if I could transport my teenaged self to now. My mind would be blown.
DeleteA 100-400 is a great lens. Cannon makes a good range of lenses.
DeleteI feel wary about going fully digital..I can see the drawbacks of the camera on this phone which I discovered calls itself AI camera...I think I'd need a lot of explanation!
ReplyDeleteI'm looking forward to seeing what you think of your new camera
I'm already struggling with some of the knobs and controls. It will take a hot minute to learn!
DeleteGlad to read of your new camera purchase, Steve, and hope you will show a photo of your new gear and share your thoughts on the mirrorless format. Hopefully, you will or did get some reimbursement from the insurance claim. What I found really amazing is that you were able to buy your new gear from an actual store as most have gone online now, aside from some still in NYC, which is where I bought SLR equipment many hears ago. Later, I switched to DSLR models and lenses but sold everything years ago. My current cameras are considered point & shoot: Olympus Tough and Panasonic Lumix ZS99 and Fujifilm X100 IV which has a fixed 35mm lens but is my current favorite.
ReplyDeleteI haven't heard from the insurer yet. Yeah, I wanted to go to a physical store and see the options before I made the purchase, and I wanted some advice about what to get.
DeleteI think a lot of our 'advances' have come from the minds of science fiction writers. They conceive of it, write about it, and then the world makes it happen.
ReplyDeleteOr they're so plugged in to upcoming advancements that they're able to accurately predict them.
DeleteA new camera! How exciting for you! You’ve done rally well with your phone camera but I know there’s a level of art you can now access that you’ve our phones can’t reach, that a true artist like you craves. Bailey is so playful! Love that.
ReplyDeleteUgh. Typos! I should *really reread my comments.
ReplyDeleteI like more control than a phone gives me, though so far I'm still figuring out how to make that control happen with this new contraption!
DeleteI'm proud of you for going with new technology! I'll bet it DID seem weird to be without a camera.
ReplyDeleteI love the image of Bailey jumping on you, and as per usual, I would like visual evidence because I'll bet it's adorable. Get Dave on that task right away!
I should have taken photos but I was too busy fighting her off! LOL
DeleteHoly Smokes Brother Man , You Purchased One Of The Best Cameras On The Market - That Is One Amazing Machine And Wait Until You See Your Videos In Flipping 7K Quality - You Just Might Need Another New Mac For Processing All That Data - Enjoy The Learning Curve And Start Snapping Away
ReplyDeleteExcellent Purchase ,
Cheers
I haven't typically used the big camera for videos -- but maybe I'll do more of that now!
DeleteCongrats on the new camera!
ReplyDeleteThank you!
DeleteI'm so glad you got a new camera. It feels very strange if I don't take any photos for a day. So many people love music but for me it's what I see that I love and remember.
ReplyDeleteI think I read "The Martian Chronicles" but it's been so long I'm not sure anymore:)
I like music too, but yes, I am a very visual person. I think many of us encountered "The Martian Chronicles" in our school libraries back in the day!
DeleteCongratulations! I can't wait to hear how you like the new camera. I've read about the mirrorless camera technology but haven't really looked at one. The fact that it is lighter is a big plus for me.
ReplyDeleteI read "The Martian Chronicles" years ago but don't recall the story you mentioned. I've thought many times about how we are living in the future that was predicted all those years ago. In the early 70's I went to Disneyland and they had an exhibit called The Monsanto House of the Future. Everything that was displayed in that house came to be and was surpassed. In the mid 90's when I took that consulting job and was flying off to different cities for work, I couldn't help thinking that my grandparents would find in amazing that I actually flew weekly just to go to work. And now, driverless cars are everywhere in Phoenix. We are certainly living that future.
Yeah, the lighter camera is a HUGE plus. It's also smaller and easier to handle. I remember the Monsanto House of the Future! There was a ride at the sister theme park in Orlando, the "Carousel of Progress," that touted all the amazing things we'd be living with in the future. Imagine -- a doorbell that lets you SEE and TALK TO whoever's at the door! LOL
DeleteSteve! This makes me so happy! To know that you have a camera again. I absolutely understand the feeling of lacking an actual appendage when something you've used and loved for so long has been taken away, and the relief that comes when it is replaced. Your camera is a part of you. Now- may you and this new one come to know and understand each other.
ReplyDeleteAs for the Martian Chronicles- absolutely some of my favorite writing ever in this world. Ray Bradbury was a master and a prophet and a poet and you've reminded me that perhaps it's time for me to revisit the worlds he created. Thank you.
I really did feel incomplete without a good camera. Yes, it DID feel like a part of me! The understanding may take a while. :)
DeleteA good end to a frustrating episode. I am pleased for you. I managed a short walk today and paddled in little puddles on the path. Joy.
ReplyDeletePuddles! I still haven't seen any of those. The earth has sucked up whatever water has fallen.
DeleteI'm delighted about the camera! Could you take a photo of it to show us? I loved that story and we are definitely living in science fiction land.
ReplyDeleteIt's kind of funny to take a picture of a camera. Very meta! But I will try to remember. :)
DeleteOH, I am so glad you have the new camera. Yes, please show us a photo (your phone will be fine!). Love the George photo. I hope your insurance comes through!
ReplyDeleteI hope so too! They sure are taking their time. :/
DeleteI'm a big Bradbury fan (even when he's bad, he's good) and I might have told you I heard him say in an interview that he felt the difference between fantasy and science fiction was that science fiction could actually come true. He said the only book he wrote that he considered science fiction was Fahrenheit 451. I'm afraid a lot of that is about to be "real". I loved The Martian Chronicles and maybe the only thing that keeps them fantasy is the setting!
ReplyDeleteSo glad you are back to being "whole".
Oh, that's an interesting distinction. You might have told me that before but I'd forgotten! I've always thought of sci-fi as science-based even if not exactly possible, as opposed to dragons and elves and that kind of thing, which is true fantasy.
DeleteGetting the new camera makes your life complete again and that's always a very good thing.
ReplyDeleteUsing the new camera, the top photo shows magnificent detail in color and form. Very nicely done.
As for the world we live in today. It's a wild ride in more ways than one: geopolitics... plus the orange one bring surprises nearly daily. Science Fiction really does come true sometimes. No doubt about that.
I'm glad you like the top photo. The ones I post on the blog are, of course, much lower resolution than the originals. (Otherwise they'd be HUGE data files.) What's that old saying -- truth is stranger than fiction?!
DeleteThe old issue of thinking you know where a place is, and so not checking. I am guilty many times over.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy the new camera, a bit of a learning curve I imagine.
It definitely IS a learning curve. We'll see how it goes!
DeleteThat is exciting (new camera)! Have fun!
ReplyDeleteI missed yesterday's post, so I'll add a comment here. I read an Argentine book long ago, forgot its title and author now, with words redacted. I found out it was ordered by the publisher for political reasons, and the author was angry about it. He left the redactions to emphasize the censorship.
ReplyDeleteOh, interesting. So maybe Jarman's representatives left the redactions to protest the publisher's queasiness? I hadn't thought of that!
DeleteI have camera envy for sure! I checked it out and here it costs over fourthousand dollars with the lens and battery charger. That sounds like a lot but if i don't buy a boat or a new car or fancy clothes or a designer pup- I can rationalize a new camera!! It looks just like the old one but WAYEEE better.I know you will have fun with it and it would weigh you down like the old one. Splendid purchase! Looking forward to your usual might fine shots.
ReplyDeleteWell, I was trying to be circumspect about the price, Linda Sue, but yes it was an investment in my creative future and my sanity. :)
DeleteCongratulations on the new camera. I have a mirrorless camera, which is nice because it's not heavy. Its only drawback is poor low light performance. Canon point and shoots actually do better. But mine is old, I'm sure they're better now.
ReplyDeleteThey specifically told me this one is good in low-light conditions -- maybe because earlier ones weren't? Anyway, we'll see!
DeleteI am feeling quite sorry for the automated house continuing to make breakfasts that are never eaten and wondering just how many breakfasts there are piled up in there. I'll have to look for that book. The sunflower photo is stunning.
ReplyDeleteBut then the house cleans up the breakfasts, so none of them are left to deteriorate! It's still sad, though. It's a sad story overall.
DeleteEnjoy your new camera. You will certainly appreciate it after so long without one.
ReplyDeleteThanks! I am looking forward to experimenting with it!
Delete