It's funny that the very tropical Brugmansias have chosen now to bloom, because it's starting to feel downright autumnal out there. Something about the low humidity and lower temperatures, a subtle shift of the sun, is telling me that it's almost fall. It's 55º F this morning (about 13º C).
I just gave Bailey a Dentastix, which you will remember was one of Olga's favorite treats. Olga would eagerly snatch them from us and gnaw them apart immediately. Bailey, though, takes them uncertainly, and then carries them out into the garden or to a remote corner of the house and "buries" them. (Indoors this means shoving them under a radiator or houseplant.) I don't know if she doesn't like them or if she's saving them for later -- often if we retrieve the treat and give it to her again, she eats it right away. She only does this with Dentastix, not other treats. Mysterious.
Anyway, this morning she tried to bury her treat in the "wandering dude" plant, trailing across the floor and around the other plants in the living room. In the process she broke many of the stems, so the dude needed an emergency pruning job.
All this before I could even get coffee!
Yesterday we went to the cemetery, where she chased squirrels while on her extra-long lead. She gave my arm a workout.
Otherwise I mostly read. I'm almost done with Derek Jarman. We're in the last year of his life, and his medical struggles have intensified so that's become bleak. But his mind remains sharp and his social criticisms interesting. Yesterday, for example, I read this passage reflecting on people who are especially attached to the place of their birth or childhood:
"Peter worrying about his Welsh maiden. I told him to forget her. Who wants to be married to scenery? People who hail from these postcard childhoods, and won't let you forget it, seem so retarded, often the more ghastly these places are the more they are defended. People who come from 'somewhere' enter life old-fashioned and rather regressive. The cool thing is to come from nowhere and then the future can flourish...My criticism of being married to scenery comes right over into the film ["Wittgenstein"], which is set nowhere. It demonstrates that the historicizing attitude to biopic is totally irrelevant, questioning all of that in one black drape. It goes to show that Vienna is just a grand piano. Places are no longer of much interest to the sophisticated, after all they are all the same: you buy your Thai meal in Soho and your steak and chips in Bangkok."
Jarman was born in suburban London, so his own origins probably contribute to that perspective. He wasn't born anywhere unusual. I don't find places uninteresting, but I do agree that being too attached to the past, too anchored to self and identity, can hinder the future.
He is also endlessly critical of the royal family:
"We are taking off on this windy day for a holiday that has been cancelled endlessly by illness. The hovercraft is called Princess Margaret, it presumably runs on gin. A hovercraft is a lumbering sort of thing, rather like a large black beetle, which you can't quite believe flies. It seems to date from another technology, like Princess Margaret. I suspect she wears rubber skirts too."
Dave ordered some new clothes from Land's End (not rubber skirts) and they arrived yesterday. He's just been trying on a couple of the shirts and they are huge. "Is this too big?" he asked me, wearing something akin to a striped slipcover. Turns out he ordered everything XXL, which is way too big even for him. I don't know what he was thinking but I will probably wind up schlepping it all to the post office to send it back.
This is sitting in front of the house waiting for collection by the council -- our old disintegrating garden bench and the rusty wheelbarrow I used to transport Olga on her last trip to the vet. I'm glad to get rid of both items.



Seeing the garden bench sitting out there, I finally appreciate how tired it is. It always had its charm in the garden. That’s funny about Bailey and the Dentastix. I wonder if that behavior will change or if you’ll ever know why she does it that way.
ReplyDeleteI remember dogs liking to bury meaty bones until the meat rotted a bit. I don't think it was about hiding it from other dogs as they would smell it too.
ReplyDeleteJarman was nothing if not interesting. I am amused by his Princess Margaret references.
If like here, more expensive brands tend to be larger sizes. A cheap XL shirt may not fit whereby an expensive XL shirt will fit. Beware of the label words 'Slim fit'.
"Places are no longer of much interest to the sophisticated"... What a dumb and unsophisticated thing to say. He chose Dungeness which is in its own right a very special place. That's why Jarman chose it!
ReplyDeleteAs for Bailey and the "Dentastix", may I suggest that the next time you give her one you and Dave should demonstrate the process of simply chewing them. A few growls and "woofs" should be thrown in. Then Bailey will better understand what is expected.
If only dogs could talk, we would see the logic, I'm sure. Woof ! 🐾
ReplyDeleteI used to live near a cemetary, in London as a matter of fact, where
I worked as a chambre-maid in a hotel (a summerjob) at the age of 20.
London is great 🧡 It's so nice to see London in your photos.
Funny to see you putting things out ...you're usually the one to pick treasures up and bring them home!!
ReplyDeleteWell, I fully and freely admit to be unsophisticated. Places DO matter to me, and I am fortunate in calling three places "home", without reservation: My birth town, where I still live, my husband's village 150 km away from that town, and Ripon. If loving these places stops me from personal development, then so be it.
ReplyDeleteBailey's behaviour with this particular treat is indeed mysterious! If only she could talk...
I can perfectly understand you being glad to be rid of the bench and the wheelbarrow.
Interesting passage. I always tell people with some sense of pride that I come from Southeast Iowa but I can tell immediately that it impresses nobody except those who also come from the same region and then their eyes light up. But I'm not sure that anchors me to the place. It is more like an affirmation of how we were brought up, like those of a particular suburb of London might share.
ReplyDeleteI little Ozzo used to "bury" treats he either didn't care for or was saving for a rainy day all around the house. It was like Easter trying to find his version of eggs.
ReplyDeleteMy birthplace, and time there, shapes me, but I am so glad I moved beyond there, and I have no desire to move back.
ReplyDeleteI'm wondering: Was food once scarce for Bailey and she is burying the Dentastix to ensure she has a stash? She has no worries now! All dogs have quirks and some remain mysteries.
ReplyDeleteDogs are no respecters of plant life!
ReplyDeleteI've mostly lived in the Chicagoland area and I'm fine with that.
ReplyDeleteI don't know - I get weary of people who think they're sophisticated ragging on those they look down on. What makes them so special? Maybe a stint in the Welsh countryside (as, perhaps, a day laborer) would shake up their ennui.
ReplyDeleteOn the other hand, I remember getting very tired of a college boyfriend going on and on about how special his SC hometown was. I definitely didn't feel the same way about my hometown!
As I read the Jarman quotes I was thinking about how "married" I am to Roseland. I have often wondered how and why I am still so strongly drawn to that area when so many truly horrible things happened in my childhood when I lived there. I can only come up with the answer that none of that was the fault of where I was living and in fact, it was the river and the trees and the ocean too, that sustained me. It was a place my imagination could take me far away.
ReplyDeleteI always have to chuckle when our cat covers up what is left of her supper, burying it with air. Our beagle was awful for burying bones and then digging them up later. The bones were covered with dirt, and she then wanted to bring it inside.
ReplyDeleteAIDS was a shitty way to die. I spent two years in the 80's caring for AIDS patients and it was heartbreaking, not only how they died, but how some of the nurses treated them.
Not sure how it works in England (do they have a UK fulfillment spot for Land's End?) but if they don't, bring them back to the US next month and mail from there. You will be within return time. They have some bar code thing and you can take them to whatever spot they tell you (I think for me it's UPS) and they package it up. The return fee is the same. You don't have to pay if you take Land's End credit (which, since it's about the only place I buy clothes, I do.) Otherwise, they delete postage from your return. Might save bucks. Maybe if they have UK fulfillment and it doesn't have to go back to the US it works the same.
ReplyDeleteInteresting the way Bailey treats the Dentastix. Maybe it's kind like the way we humans tend to save the most tasty bit of our meal for the last.
ReplyDeleteI can see why it was time for that bench to go.
I guess I'm not very literary because both those passages went right past me. I'm not particularly married to the Texas Gulf Coast I don't think, but here I am still. If I was younger with no obligations like children and the wherewithal I think I might move elsewhere. What keeps me here now is family...kids, grandkids, great grandkids.
ReplyDeleteMy yellow angel trumpet bloomed this spring and I expect it will bloom again this fall. I was actually surprised that it bloomed this spring.