Tuesday, August 25, 2026
The Dozing Bulldozer
Nicole Jr., the offspring of Nicole Nicotiana, is now blooming. This is the seedling that grew of its own accord in a pot with a teasel, and I put them both in the ground three or four weeks ago. I love those gossamer threads of spider web between the flowers. We're at the time of year when spiders hang their webs all over the garden, though I think I'm seeing fewer of them this year, maybe because of the drought.
I'm just glad Nicole Jr.'s flower stalk survived long enough to bloom. In our flower beds these days, with the bulldozer power of Bailey, that is not a given.
In fact, this was one of my garden projects yesterday. Bailey had absolutely trampled this bed between the walnut tree and the Philadelphus by the back shed. Squirrels tend to be found in both trees and running along the fence, so she is often back and forth there, barking wildly. Yesterday I installed bamboo canes to try to keep her off some of the plants, and I tied up the ferns so the fronds won't be so easily flattened. I have no idea whether this will have any impact at all, since a bamboo cane -- no matter how strong or how deeply planted -- is no match for 20 kilos of hurtling staffy. But we shall see.
These beds also look bedraggled from lack of water. Everything is dry as a bone. I cut down the rest of our Crocosmia, which had prematurely turned brown in this dry weather, as well as the Persicaria by the blackberries. It all looked like hell. Better luck next year, hopefully.
Incidentally, remember my cautious excitement about our rainy forecast several days ago? Well, none of that rain has materialized so far. None of it. We had two brief spells of light rain, on Aug. 18th and 19th, and as far as I know that's been it so far. This week looks promising for more, but again, we shall see.
I did finish Derek Jarman yesterday. And I took the dog for a brief walk in the morning and afternoon, as usual. This twice-daily dog walking is getting old, though. I need to be able to get out of the house and go do my own thing, and I feel trapped by canine obligations. I'd hoped we could do without a dog walker but I think we may need one after all. Besides, when I'm away traveling, what's Dave going to do? He can't come home from work every afternoon just to walk the beast.
I'm talking to the same dog-walking company that used to take Olga. Apparently they also do solo walks, which would be perfect for Bailey. Hopefully we can work something out.
Bailey this morning, lying next to me and twitching in a dream state.




Gardens don't always pan out the way you want. Neither does the weather. But snoozing Bailey looks comfortable in her life and your plants are throwing out new life, so count your blessings.
ReplyDeleteMy garden is closing down much earlier this year, so many of the plants are dying back, nothing we can do, just mulch them and hope for the best.
ReplyDeleteBulldozer Bailey.
ReplyDeleteWe still have plenty of traces of social distancing paving markers. Those in your photo look very permanent. I still keep back a bit from someone when I'm in a queue.
Dreaming of squirrels, probably :-)
ReplyDeleteI'm happy to report we've been having some of the promised rain! It will of course take weeks, if not months, of regular rain to replenish the drought-suffering groundwater levels, but it's much better than nothing. And can you believe that it is so chilly today that I have just made myself a cup of tea just to warm up?
I have literally just this minute come in from pulling all my Crocosmia out due to it being almost completely brown already. It didn't even flower as well as usual this year, obviously not a heat lover like I thought it was. Bailey does look as though she is laughing at your efforts to keep her off and defend your plants with a few bamboo canes. :-)
ReplyDeleteHad you considered stringing twine between the bamboo canes to deter Bailey? I think I'd be concerned about her stabbing herself on the stakes, but then I'm an inveterate worrier! Dog-walking businesses have mushroomed in recent years, and 'doggie daycare'
ReplyDeleteBulldozer Bailey. I will forever think of her that way. And look how proud she is of herself in the bulldozed garden. Oh that face. Have I mentioned I’m already in love with her? (Although the bulldozer would really piss me off.)
ReplyDeleteBulldozer Bailey looks peaceful in OFF mode!
ReplyDeleteI sometimes wonder if people have pets, so that they can stay closer to home.
ReplyDeleteTHAT is key!
DeleteYou might want to let Bailey have parts of the garden. Those sticks look like a possible vet visit in your future.
ReplyDeleteYour garden has certainly had many lives this year. I remember its completely overgrown phase, green and verdant, when you thought you’d have to do some cutting back. How old is Bailey? She has the frisky energy of a pup. I do think it’s good to reengage your dog walker so you can plan independent excursions, though I think like most dog parents you may find having some dog obligations to be grounding.
ReplyDeleteIn all the years I've been reading your blog Steve, your garden does look the worst. It is so parched compared to the lush growth I normally see in your pictures. Hopefully you'll get a rain to break the drought. My grandfather used to say in situations like this, "I can't even buy a rain." Not really sure why that is a saying but that is what he said.
ReplyDeleteHaving the dog walker help with Bailey will keep her busy and give you some free time. I think it is a very good idea.
ReplyDeleteIf the bamboo does not keep Bailey away from plantings, Amazon sells temporary dog fencing that can be moved around easily. I bought some and it works well.
Due to lack of rain, our gardens are in tough shape as well.
Need anymore bamboo?
ReplyDeleteDogs can turn gardens, households, and hearts upside down, can't they?
Same here with the daily forecasts for rain. And when we do get it, it's not even enough to wet the ground.
I 've tried the bamboo stakes as well, but they didn't work with my two dogs. Charlie is also like a bulldozer in my garden. I've also tried small fences which he just hops over. I've found that yelling is the most effective:)
ReplyDeleteI love that photo with the spider web. And, that sleeping Bailey is very sweet too! We've had the same problem with the rain here. They say it will rain and then all we get is dust.
ReplyDeleteSame here. So dry. I had some success keeping a boxer out of my flower beds by setting stakes about 2' high and string between them at three different levels, about 6" from the bottom, mid way, and across the top. Certainly no physical barrier but seemed to work.
ReplyDeleteHow do you get that black background in the top picture?
Too bad about your dry garden. Hope some rain comes soon for you.
ReplyDeleteWas That First Capture With The New Camera ?? Marvelous For Sure
ReplyDeleteSo The Double Walks Per Day Is Right Up Your Retirement Alley - I Dig The Dog Walker For When You Travel And You And Mr Dave Were Well Aware Of This Upcoming Situation - You Still Have Time Throughout The Day To Do You - Time Is On Your Side My Man
Lastly , That Sleepy Gal Is A Classic - Adding The Blanket Is Definitely The True Definition Of Pure Contentment
Walk On Brother Man ,
Cheers
"trapped by canine obligations" definitely sounds like a dog-walker would be a good idea. I didn't think crocosmia could be killed, but it seems drought is the key.
ReplyDeletesweet dreams!
ReplyDelete