Tuesday, September 8, 2026
Black Backgrounds
One thing I am learning about myself in retirement is that my natural waking-up time is about 7 a.m. I always thought I was a very early riser -- like 5:30 a.m. or so -- but apparently not! And maybe even this will change over time.
That's one of the cosmos in our garden, above. I've been experimenting with photographing flowers from behind -- a new way to see them. One of my commenters asked several posts back how I get that black background. It's easy -- I place the flower against a shadowy or shady part of the garden, set the exposure for just the flower, and the background naturally stays very dark. I don't even need to adjust it in processing.
Here's the same trick used on our bluebeard (Caryopteris), to less absolute effect. In looking up past pictures of the bluebeard I came across this post -- look how green the garden was in September 2023. So different from this year!
It's raining out there now, actually, though it's a very light rain -- maybe too light to do much. We are still in dire need of several days of good, long, soaking rain.
I spent yesterday morning trimming and neatening plants on the patio. I trimmed The Monster, the next door neighbor's climbing rose, and I cut blackberry out of the rock garden and dying leaves out of Barb the banana. She has mites again, which happens in very dry summers, so she's looking a bit ragged. I have two bags of garden waste sitting out at the curb now, waiting for collection.
I also finished "Our Evenings," Alan Hollinghurst's latest novel. I liked it the least of all Hollinghurst's books, to be honest. I loved his earlier works like "The Swimming Pool Library" and "The Line of Beauty," and I even liked his previous book "The Sparsholt Affair," which seemed to get mixed reviews from some readers. But this one felt dry and rather tedious, all the way to the somewhat abrupt ending.
In the afternoon I took the dog out for a walk. We passed a residential building near the railroad tracks with some remarkable graffiti on the side. HOW did they DO that?! They must have been hanging off the side of the building with ropes. Whether you admire graffiti as an art form or not, you gotta acknowledge the skill required to produce pieces like those -- and to be able to keep the letters uniformly sized and styled at such close range. I believe they say "Leak SMT" and "Alks."
The dog seemed sore yesterday after our long Heath walk on Sunday, and still a bit wobbly on her back legs, poor girl. Doesn't stop her from streaking across the garden after squirrels, though!



I hope that "Mitey Barb" recovers well.
ReplyDeleteGreat flower shots. The black background is very effective in accentuating the detail.
She's recovered from her mites fine in years past, so I think she'll be OK!
DeleteDid you hear my jaw hit the table when I saw the white against black cosmos? That's frameworthy. Sorry to hear Bailey is a bit sore and hope she is better now.
ReplyDeleteGlad you liked the photo! Bailey was back to normal in no time.
DeleteIt might only be light rain, but it is going to go on for hours! Possibly better for soaking the ground than a heavy shower? I watered all my pots yesterday! Should have checked the weather for today!!
ReplyDeleteYeah, it turned out to be a great rain!
DeleteVery impressive and artistic, the black background is !
ReplyDeleteI've always been an early riser, but for many years now my natural waking time is between 3.30 and 4.30 am. In the evening I pass out at around 8 or 8.30. ๐ No complaints, I love this rhythm. And one feels good this way. I mean following one's own inner clock.
I must read your previous posts since I've been away. Regards to Bailey ๐งก I
Wow, that is VERY early. I don't ever let myself get up before 5 a.m. because then I feel terrible later in the day.
Delete"Leak SMT" and "Alks,” of course! I do wonder how they did that. That’s a butt ugly building (imho). Flower photos are stunning.
ReplyDeleteIt IS a butt-ugly building. Very Soviet.
DeleteFor a retired person I consider myself an earlyish riser at 7 but I am not ready to face the world before 10.
ReplyDeleteThe building looks quite awful but like you, I often admire the skill of the graffitists to make their scrawl in such difficult places. I am sure some come to grief. Maybe the building is empty and just kept as a phone tower.
A trio of graffiti writers were killed on some railroad tracks in South London not too many years ago. They do get themselves into dangerous places sometimes.
DeleteBeautiful top photo, worthy of being printed out and framed. That building is very unique, and the graffiti just adds something to it. ❤️
ReplyDeleteThe graffiti definitely adds to it, because otherwise it's hideous! (Maybe it's better from the inside.)
DeleteForget the plants from behind against dark backgrounds, the graffiti on that building is amazing. However, that is not a residential building, it's a secret rocket launch site. You can tell by the white rocket launchers on the roof. I am surprised that you failed to spot them.
ReplyDeleteIs this how the UK hides its nukes -- in old high-rise council flats?
DeleteI think when I quit, I slept in longer for a while. But eventually, I got to the point where I woke up early enough that I stopped setting an alarm clock. I don't even have one these days other than an app on my phone. I am usually up by 6 unless I had a very late night.
ReplyDeleteI haven't used an alarm for years. Even when I was working I woke up naturally, but slightly earlier than I do now!
DeleteTell Bailey I have the same problem. After all this walking and standing the past two days, my legs are a bit sore too! I LOVE that first photo. The black background really makes it pop.
ReplyDeleteBut at least you got some good exercise!
DeleteThat really is impressive graffiti! I'm feeling a little like Bailey today after trying to deep clean our kitchen counters yesterday. Oof.
ReplyDeleteI've been avoiding that job here. LOL
DeleteI am surprised that graffiti artists survive.
ReplyDeleteMe too -- and sometimes they don't!
DeleteThat cosmos photo is amazing!
ReplyDeleteThank you! :)
DeleteThat graffiti is amazing. I would have loved the have seen the artist creating it.
ReplyDeleteYeah, seeing them in action would have been interesting. I wonder if they did it overnight? Or maybe over a weekend or holiday when there was less law enforcement out and about.
DeleteThose flowers look terrific. I am in awe of any artist who does murals (or graffiti) on a tall building.
ReplyDeleteMe too! I don't know how they get the perspective right.
DeleteYes! That first photo is really amazing. Keep doing that.
ReplyDeleteI look at graffiti and just ask, "Why?" Another gene I did not get. The graffiti gene.
Glen gets up relatively early. I do not. And I go to bed earlier than he does. However, he naps in his chair on and off every time he's in it.
I don't entirely get the graffiti thing either -- like, I would never do my own graffiti. But I think seeing other people's is interesting.
Delete"Leak SMT" and "Alks,” what the hell does it even mean?
ReplyDeleteThe Cosmos picture is so stunning in its starkness ... beautiful!
They're just nicknames or "street names" for the writers. And then the three letters (SMT, in this case) are usually an abbreviation for the name of a crew, or group of graffiti writers who work together. They might be called "South Main Team," for example. (I'm making that name up, but you see what I mean.)
DeleteHm. Graffiti by cherrypicker? Maybe they were working on the building anyway and thought oh why not, nobody ever looks up this high..
ReplyDeleteOh, a cherrypicker is an interesting idea. But then the graffiti wouldn't start from the roof, I don't think.
DeleteThe black and white Cosmos photo is outstanding. The detail is sharp and lovely. Frameable.
ReplyDeleteThe graffiti on the building is a remarkable feat. It also shows some order and is less random/chaos. I'm not a big fan but oddly this seems alright to me.
Sweet Baily - does she need a multi-vitamin? Feeling stiffness as a young girl seems unusual to me.
It IS very neat graffiti, I agree! I think feeling stiff from a very long walk isn't too unusual -- just like humans feel stiff and sore after going to the gym or doing some unusual physical exertion.
DeleteWow. That graffiti is amazing. Seems like its creation would have attracted attention from media.
ReplyDeleteYou would think, unless they did it under cover of darkness? In which case, even MORE impressive.
DeleteElizabeth Blackadder's book on flower painting is like your first photo.
ReplyDeleteBlackadder's wild flower miniature is seen against a black glossy background.
She painted great black tomcats asleep like Trojan warriors - I'd like a print of one.
She would have painted your dog stalking petrified squirrels on the Heath.
I do not know this person! I'll have to look up her work! Wasn't "Blackadder" a TV show?
DeleteThe flowers with a dark background make gorgeous photos, Steve. You are so talented. Tell Bailey I'm a bit sore too after a lot of work in the backyard yesterday. Let her take it easy today. Graffiti up so high is impressive. When I saw a Banksy high on a building, I wondered how he and his team had gotten there.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Janie
I think this fiction about nobody knowing Banksy's identity is just that -- fiction. By now a lot of people must know who he is, especially since he does such large and prominent pieces.
DeleteRobin Gunningham
DeleteThat's an interesting perspective on the flower at the top. It's different, but lovely!
ReplyDeleteWe still haven't gotten any rain and it was 105 on Sunday. (real temp with 55% humidity) *Sigh* I'm ready for fall.
A hundred and five?! Yikes!
DeleteGreat photography! I once watched two guys hanging upside down on ropes at the side of a railway bridge spraying graffiti while the train I was in moved underneath and for ages I wanted to go back and see what they did. It was really scary to watch, but when we managed to go there it was just a mess of colours and tags. Or maybe it got messed up.
ReplyDeleteYeah, hard to say. Sometimes pieces get destroyed within just a day or two. I think in this case, those pieces will be up for a while! How would the Council even clean that off?!
DeleteRetirement means that you can try some of the things you learned a long time ago.
ReplyDeleteThat's what I'm hoping!
DeleteI'd love some light rain! My natural waking time is between 7-8 and it's perfect. I rarely stay in bed past that time though, even though I could.
ReplyDeleteI've never been a late sleeper, even when I was younger. I hate staying in bed too long.
DeleteGreat flower photography. The graffiti is interesting, though that brutalist architecture quite depressing.
ReplyDeleteYeah, it's hideous architecture, I agree. Some Brutalism can be good, but that's not!
Deletethat first image is stunning and one can concentrate on the form of the flower.
ReplyDeleteThat is going towards wall art rather than graffiti....
It IS more of a mural, maybe!
DeleteHello Steve! My husband and I returned from our hiking holiday Wednesday afternoon, and I am just beginning to catch up with reading and commenting on blogs - let alone writing my own :-)
ReplyDeleteYour white flower against the black backdrop was a great "welcome back" for me!
Also, I am pleased to hear you have had SOME rain; we've had some, too, and I was amazed on the drive back how much greener everything seems already, also the gardens around my neighbourhood. Hopefully, the long good soaking your part of the world needs will soon arrive.
Good to know Bailey has lost neither interest nor ability to chase after squirrels :-)