Monday, September 28, 2026

Cleaning Fish and Fulfilling Promises


Sue and I sat at an outdoor bar in Cortez yesterday, overlooking a dock that's home to a charter fishing boat. When the boat pulled in after a morning on the water, several older people got off, followed by tubs of fish. The guys in the photos above cleaned the fish right on the dock, throwing the heads in the water and other scraps back into a bucket. The filets they kept on the table until they bagged them up and handed them to the customer.


Here are two guys with their catch. Looks like they did OK out there!

Anyway, we were amused watching the fish-cleaners, because they were quickly surrounded by waterbirds including pelicans, egrets and a bossy heron. The pelicans ate most of the fish heads, and every once in a while the guys would throw a scrap to the heron. The egrets were too timid and never seemed to get anything, though we were cheering them on.


Sue and I took a long walk around the island in the morning -- about six miles. (Sue, as I think I mentioned, is a great walker.)

Then, after the stop in Cortez, we ran some fun errands. We went back to a thrift store to pick up a t-shirt for my upstairs neighbors in London. They'd told me their daughter is learning the trumpet (!) and when Sue and I were at the shop on Saturday, I'd seen a shirt that said "I DESTROY SILENCE" with a picture of a trumpet. I sent them a photo of the shirt and my neighbor said, "Buy it!" So I went back for it.


I also picked up a great shirt for myself featuring a bunch of angry sharks, which I somehow missed on our previous visit. Here it is along with a promised picture of the tiger shirt I mentioned in Friday's post.


Here's another promised picture that I finally downloaded off my phone -- a better shot of Pinky II. I laughed at the way she's obscuring my face. (She's very hard to photograph -- she's super-wiggly.) Doesn't she have a weirdly long neck? I told my stepsister she's like a cross between a chihuahua and a llama.


Another photo from my phone -- an inspirational note from my Starbucks barista. What's funny is, she wrote this on my cup Friday morning, before my stepsister and I had to go to the bank and do legal stuff. So I appreciated the boost!


I know this post is kind of a mishmash, but I'd been meaning to use all those photos and didn't have a chance until now. The Octopus light above is from our walk yesterday morning. Don't you love that? Wouldn't really fit in London, though.

Today Sue and I are off on a special birthday road trip (her birthday is tomorrow). We've got a long drive ahead of us! I know it seems crazy to leave a paradise like Anna Maria Island but we thought a little change of scenery might be interesting, and it's just for one night. Stay tuned!

24 comments:

  1. I've only been fishing in the ocean once on a charter boat off the Florida Gulf coast. One of my most cherished memories is eating "shore lunch" on the boat prepared by the captain out of one of the red snappers we pulled from the water seconds ago.

    When we actually returned to shore, our captain carried our fish over to a fish cleaning business at the head of the dock that made quick work of fileting them out. They didn't toss the scraps though... at least not while we were there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fifth picture makes me think that you should seriously consider the possibility of a face transplant. I found Anna Maria Island on a map. I would love to go there but I am sure that I never will so many thanks for the vicarious visit.
    P.S. I was joking about the face transplant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great trip. You and sue are very much in tune -- walking, thrifting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh if I'd ever seen that trumpet t-shirt I'd have bought it for Carlos as he also plays the trumpet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes such mishmash posts are the best!
    Love the idea of the trumpet t-shirt. My husband used to play the trumpet in the village band for over 40 years until he changed instruments last year; he now plays the tenor horn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you are having a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I DO love the octopus light! And I love the t-shirt you're getting your neighbor (& that you now have neighbors you can have that kind of relationship with!).

    ReplyDelete
  8. So Florida. So, so, SO Florida.
    And beautiful.
    Yes. Pinky II is definitely a rare and valuable Llama Dog. Obviously she is a miniature but that makes her all the more valuable.
    That tiger shirt is a FIND! How vintage do you guess it is?
    I sure am enjoying this trip of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you are having a great time. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The fishing crew had a really good catch. Watching the sea birds vying for fish remains tossed by the fishermen shows how competitive some birds are. Always interesting.
    The thrifting is really good. Finding three great shirts is like hitting the jackpot. Buying the trumpet shirt for your neighbor is a very generous and thoughtful gesture. You are a great friend and neighbor!
    Happy B-day to Sue. Enjoy.
    You and Sue

    ReplyDelete
  11. How nice to have a long visit with your friend. I love both those shirts. I wish Marc would be more adventurous in his clothing choices. If Pinky II is half rat terrier she comes by that neck honestly. Minnie is a rat terrier and everything about her is long; snout, ears, neck, legs, tail.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pinky II does seem to have a long neck and those fishermen had lots of luck it seems. Sounds like you are enjoying your visit with your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, Pinky II’s neck is unusual. Nice of her to upstage you!

    That was a nice (and well timed) note from the barista. And much better than having your name misspelled.

    Such great scenery. So Florida. Hope you have a great driving trip.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I did a double take when you said you were in Cortez. There's one nearby here in Colorado (and the only other one I'd noticed was in Mexico)! My son lives in the CO one, and they are in high desert country...no fishing! However I have another son who lives right up the coast from Anna Maria Island in St. Petersburg FL...so I have visited him and seen a dockside fish cleaning with lots of pelicans enjoying the leavings! Have fun with the birthday trip and I look forward to seeing more photos!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would like to have Sue, motivated and fun. everyone's cuppa! Glad that you have such an exceptional friend to hang with.
    The colors of Florida are so pleasing.
    Pinky certainly did a grand job of photo bombing your face, she is a
    star! Audrey Hepburn neck.
    I couldn't make out the neon octopus, My eyes saw a delivery clown on a snake bike.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My favorite photo is the octopus light!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The photo of Pinky's face in front of yours was a funny one!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those birds got such a treat! I have no clue how to clean a fish and don't intend to learn. John is very into fishing but he'll need to find a friend! Love the shirts! I only walk about 3 miles, so I admire Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm sure Pinky II has a lovely personality and a kind heart. Llama, haha.
    The tiger tee is very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You're having a great time and no worries about going back to work. You're retired!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You're having a good time on this trip, aren't you? I'm happy for you. I could have used the trumpet shirt when my daughter chose the trumpet as her instrument. Pinky II does have a long neck. Substituting Pinky's face for yours would be cute.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the photo with the boats and the birds, can just imagine the jostling going on there to catch a fish head or two. Pinky 2 is a diva, wanting the camera lens all to herself. I like the sharks shirt, but not the tiger one and I dislike the octopus light.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love both those shirt! Pinky's neck looks so long!

    ReplyDelete