Wednesday, September 2, 2026

Lanterns and Pumpkins


Here's a very autumnal sight, spotted in our ivy beds yesterday. I'm astonished the dog hasn't mangled it yet, as much as she runs through there while chasing squirrels, but for the time being it's intact. It's a pretty big mushroom and Google tells me it may be something called a Freckled Dapperling. (British mushrooms, like British towns, often seem to have entertaining names.)

I'm getting a late start today because I was out last night at a concert with a friend. Yesterday was a whirlwind of a day.

Of course I walked the dog a couple of times, in the morning and after lunch. I also took care of some gardening, emptying a flower pot containing a couple of dormant hyacinth bulbs and filling it with this:


Yes! After showing off the neighbor's Chinese lanterns the other day, I decided we needed one of our own. So once again I'm trying my hand at growing this plant. We'll see if it prospers this time. The florist in the shop where I bought it said to give it morning sun but not to let it bake, and good drainage. We shall see.

In the afternoon I went to a pub in St. Johns Wood to see my former boss from the library, Karen, who lives in the states now but is back visiting. It was great to see her again, as well as her husband Rod who also used to work at the school. I was there for a couple of hours before meeting up with my friend Colin and heading down to Southbank for a concert.

Colin bought these tickets last spring and when I agreed to go it seemed so far in the future -- and then BOOM, here we were. The show was an orchestral and choral presentation of The Smashing Pumpkins' album "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness," featuring Billy Corgan, the leader of the Pumpkins himself. Anyone who was listening to the radio in the mid-'90s will remember The Smashing Pumpkins for their song "1979," their biggest hit. It came from the "Mellon Collie" album, a double-disc magnum opus of youthful angst and wonder. I owned the album, like many of us at the time, and when this concert came across Colin's radar I was excited to go.

We both agreed it was an interesting idea, presenting an alternative rock album in an orchestral form. There were several opera singers who performed some of the numbers, in addition to the musicians and choir, and they were backed by a screen projecting Steampunk-looking animation sequences depicting Chicago, the Pumpkins' home city. But the best moments were definitely when Corgan himself sang. He has a distinctively reedy voice, but he's actually a much better singer than I remembered.


Here he is performing "1979" last night, so you can get a sense of what this experiment was like.

In an ideal world, the screen for the animations needed to be bigger, and Corgan needed to be onstage for more of the songs. But otherwise, I thought it was, as I said, an interesting idea. In my opinion the classical presentation deprives the songs of a certain energy and intensity, but it was worth the experience.

That was a lot of socializing for one day. Today I'm going to huddle inside with the dog! (Who continues to show no ill effects from our recent raisin episode.)

46 comments:

  1. "a distinctively reedy voice..." You mean that Billy Corgan sounded just like you?

    As for meeting Karen again, I hope you didn't bitch about her replacement. After all, that would have been highly unprofessional.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand what you mean about a lot of socializing. I often love it and often find it exhausting. I can see why you describe the performance as interesting. For me, the classical orchestra, although well-done, doesn’t complement the album or his voice. Still, it would have been great to experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The freckled dapperling looks like there’s a landscape painted on it. Beautiful!

      Delete
    2. It is a really nice-looking mushroom!

      Delete
  3. What fun! I love the Smashing Pumpkins. The other day Gregg mentioned that Billy Corgan has a podcast that he listens to sometimes. As for the classical orchestra, that's kind of odd, but I'm sure it was a good time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everybody's a podcaster these days! I'm surprised he hasn't mentioned this tour on it. Apparently they're taking the show through Europe.

      Delete
  4. That sounds like an interesting concert and sounded like it worked some of the time. I imagine it opens up minds to music they wouldn't normally hear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it definitely worked at times, but it required some open-mindedness on the part of the audience! (Everyone seemed to like it, for what that's worth.)

      Delete
  5. The Smashing Pumpkins were not of my era. I'm glad you got to go and experience that performance. Sounds pretty cool, really. And that WAS a lot of socialization. I'm off to pottery today and it will take me a whole day to recover. This is the way it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great idea, to try to take the old music somewhere new.

      Delete
  6. Love the Chinese Lantern ๐Ÿงก Good luck with it !
    I mentioned the raisin problem and your blog today on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll bet if I listened to 1979 I would remember it, but I'm at work & my coworkers would probably wonder what in the world I was up to. Maybe later!

    I agree with Mitchell - get your paints out! Also, two social events in one day are one (or two!) too many!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, you'd know it. It was on the radio all the time.

      Delete
  8. Although I am very familiar with Smashing Pumpkins, it wasn't my cup of tea. But I spent many hours (perhaps days) listening to it in the midst of a group of single friends at parties and such. I would have definitely enjoyed the orchestral version of it and love the one linked above though I think they needed to tone down the vocals a tad to be more in line with the orchestra volume wise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does seem to drown out the orchestra a bit, but that might be due to my phone's recording capabilities. It didn't seem like that while I was there.

      Delete
  9. I'm reading a non-fiction book right now by Mark Haddon "Leaving Home". I didn't realize that he and I were the same age. The book is interesting and hard to read because of the neglect by his parents. Made my parents look pretty damn good:)

    I love the mushroom. You're going to be very fit walking the dog (I can't remember her name and I'm too lazy to scroll back to find it) twice a day. Fresh air is always a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buckley? Barclay? Nooooo, Bailey! Or no, no, stop thst!

      Delete
    2. I hope I'm walking enough to benefit from it myself! I guess every little bit helps.

      Delete
  10. That is a beautiful mushroom, and I HAVE to ask ... do American mushroom have boring non-entertaining names then?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! They're probably just as entertaining, but I didn't pay as much attention to them when I lived in the states. :)

      Delete
  11. My goodness, that was a busy day. Congrats on the plant. I'm sure it will do well in your capable hands.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember that there was a band called The Smashing Pumpkins but I would not ever recognise any of their songs. Kind of weird to take one genre of music and plonk it down into another. I'm doing good to walk Minnie once a day but she does have two big yards she can run around in or more likely lay in the sun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS kind of weird but it's pretty cool, too. I was genuinely perplexed about how they were going to make it work, but they did.

      Delete
  13. I remember that song, although, I never realized he was singing "1979"! I often can't understand lyrics when I'm listening to my car radio but that doesn't stop me from singing along! ;)
    Socialize and have fun while you can. Before you know it you will be too old (like me!) to do that anymore!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lyrics are really hard to understand. I also just sing what it sounds like a lot of the time! LOL

      Delete
  14. You're making the most of your retirement and enjoying life while the rest of the world goes to work. ๐Ÿ˜ท

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a strange juxtaposition of genres! It would be interesting to hear though. I agree that Corgan's voice is no less. Which is interesting. It certainly does not work that way. Side note: you sure know how to retire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *always work that way
      ๐Ÿ˜”

      Delete
    2. Yeah, he sounds really good. He's just a few months younger than I am, so almost 60.

      Delete
  16. It sounds like a terrific day -- friends, Bailey, Chinese lanterns and topped off by a concert. I wasn't a big Pumpkins fan but the concert sounds really interesting and I'm inclined to think I would have preferred the orchestra concert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it would be interesting to see how many of his fans actually prefer the orchestral approach!

      Delete
  17. The Pumpkins are a blast from the past. I had no idea they were still doing concerts.
    Your new lanterns make a very nice seasonal display.
    Meeting up with friends and catching up is always enjoyable.
    That mushroom is good size, and it is quite happy growing among the ivy. Nice photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Corgan was the only "Pumpkin" there. I'm not sure what the others are up to now. (I wonder if they get royalties, or does he own the songs?)

      Delete
  18. I bet that mushroom can be found mostly in Dapperling Regis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What the heck is Dapperling Regis? Is that a real thing? (Google doesn't know it.)

      Delete
    2. I made it up. It wuz a joke. Old British habit.

      Delete
  19. I love the mushroom AND the Chinese Lanterns.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I remember The Smashing Pumpkins and I'm pretty sure we had a pumpkin CD or 2, but I have no memory of that song, which is particularly strange because it seems to be about me. "Junebug skippin' like a stone."

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! True! Maybe they wrote it with you in mind? :)

      Delete