I take back all my skepticism about yesterday's rain. It turned out to be exactly what we needed -- a full day of steady, soaking drizzle -- almost 16 mm worth, according to our local weather site. It was by far the rainiest day we've had in months. I couldn't even begin to think about going outside until about mid-afternoon, when I spotted this discarded tin while walking Bailey. (I did not try to salvage it!)
Here's where Bailey spent most of her day -- perched on the end of the couch, where she can easily see outside and be entertained (or tormented) by passing wildlife.
I caught up on answering blog comments and read a New Yorker. And I wrestled with yet more demands from my stepmother's bank. They're now arguing that the notary seals and the apostilles have to have the same date, so they want me to go back and re-sign and re-notarize all the beneficiary forms I've already submitted. I'm going to call them today because a) this is bullshit, and even a simple Google search would tell them that a notary seal and an apostille don't need to be completed on the same day to be valid; and b) this imposes a hardship on me because I'd have to spend another £300 (about $400) on notaries, in order to inherit less than $2,000 -- my tiny share of her accounts. It's enough to make a person crazy. I really do believe they're acting in bad faith, and this is a disgraceful way to treat family members who have endured the death of a parent.
On a brighter note, I'm kicking around the idea of transcribing my childhood journals into a private blog -- not for anyone to read, but for me to be able to search when I want to remember something. I did this many years ago for my adult journals, and it helps me rapidly look up memories (like the encounter with Gloria Steinem I related recently). I'd have to edit them pretty heavily because they're full of gibberish and childhood in-jokes between me and my brother that no one else would understand, but it could be done. I took one volume down yesterday and read a few entries. Here's a sample, from when I was 13:
July 2, 1980
Last night I typed a card for the Andeker, which Dad drank on Monday. We also got ready to send off for the cans we need from that guy in Arkansas. We packed up the Fischer's Light and the 16-ounce Pabst Blue Ribbon and a letter telling him we wanted the Old German can and the Boh can. Boh is short for Bohemian, which is the can he's sending us. I also told him about our extra Puerto Rican cans and our extra Andeker. I told him to write back if he's interested. So maybe we'll get a reply! Jim also let me take home the Beer Can Bible to read.
I scoured that dingy bathtub today. What a pain! I never did get all the rust off. I got a lot of it off, though. At least it looks like a bathtub, and not a 16th-Century washtub!
We went to a movie with Mom tonight called "The Empire Strikes Back," which is a "Star Wars" sequel. I even saved my ticket stub! There was one creature in the movie which Mom really liked, named Yoda. He was a Muppet creation, and Frank Oz did the voice. (I knew there was a reason why he sounded like a cross between Fozzie Bear and Grover!) He really fools you, because he looks so real. All the Muppets do, and whenever I watch them, I keep forgetting that. I don't think I'll ever get the fact that Kermit the Frog isn't real through my thick skull. (Good grief, I must really be tired. I just insulted myself!)
A few essential notes, in order for that to make sense:
-- My stepbrother and I, at the time, collected beer cans. We would have our parents buy any unusual beer we spotted in a store, which my dad then wound up drinking before giving us the can. We traded these cans with people around the country as members of the Beer Can Collectors of America (BCCA), and we typed up notecards noting the source, condition and brewery of every can. It may seem like needless work but it taught me to type!
-- The well water where I grew up was heavy in iron and would routinely stain our fixtures, appliances and dishes rust-red.
-- Of course I knew the Muppets weren't real, but my point was that they seem very animated!
-- Of course I knew the Muppets weren't real, but my point was that they seem very animated!
And here's the ticket stub for "The Empire Strikes Back." You gotta love the fact that going to the movies in 1980 cost two dollars!



The diary entry from your thirteen year old self accurately foreshadows the grown man you were destined to become - even though the plant obsession had not yet erupted. Maybe it replaced the beer cans.
ReplyDeleteI did have a series of hobbies as a kid, collecting this or that, and I was obsessed by all of them in succession.
DeleteBailey seems to be giving you the side-eye there.
ReplyDeleteThat tin is quite attractive - shame it is so battered.
Yeah, she's keeping an eye on the phone, wondering what I'm up to!
DeleteI loved reading your diary entry, and thanks for the essential notes for it to make better sense. I hope things with Bailey have been good, I need to catch up on all of my blog reading!
ReplyDeleteBailey has been great, but she's occasionally a challenge!
DeleteGood news on the full day of rain and a great day for those indoor projects too. Sadly, my childhood memories are not clear enough to me to ever attempt a journal, so good look with yours, Steve. And, thanks for the "interpretation" which made more sense. Yikes on that ticket price so long ago!
ReplyDeleteWell, my memories are clearer BECAUSE I kept the journal. Otherwise I'm sure I'd have forgotten everything!
DeleteIt looks like Bailey's giving you The Side-Eye™ and I am here for it.
ReplyDeleteShe's definitely wondering what I'm up to.
DeleteI can't believe you were 13 when you wrote that. I can see that your command of the English language came very early indeed. Yes. Go hassle those nuts at the bank. Can you meet them in person when you go to FL? I'd try.
ReplyDeleteMy stepmother and brother have both tried visiting local branches to get things done re. the estate, but they are turned away because no one in the branch has the authority to address those problems. SO ridiculous.
DeleteIn case it hasn't crossed your mind, AI is really great at transcribing things. I do it all the time for my genealogy stuff. I just upload a picture of the page, tell it to transcribe it and then cut and paste. Sometimes I have to do some minor editing depending on handwriting style but it is way faster than me trying to read and type in all those words. You can even do batch scans so upload many pages and have it transcribe it in one go. I use Google Gemini but I'm sure all the other flavors do this as well.
ReplyDeleteWell, that's an idea. I kind of like reading and transcribing the posts, though, and it allows me to edit as I go.
DeleteWow. That is craziness. Can't wait until tomorrow's installment of 'Battle with the Lizard People'. I like the idea of showing up there in person.
ReplyDeleteI am glad for your rain. And you were quite a good writer for 13.
Being there in person apparently doesn't help -- or so my siblings have discovered.
DeleteA lot of knowledge of beer cans for a 13 year old.
ReplyDeleteProbably too much! LOL!
DeleteI'm wondering if you guys still have your beer can collection and, if you don't, what did you do with it?
ReplyDeleteI hope you can settle things with that bank. They are definitely not good at customer service!
I sold my half of it in 1984 at a local flea market, for $50. My stepbrother later tried to sell his but by then the market for cans had collapsed and I don't think he was able to. I'm not sure what he ultimately did with it.
DeleteI’m so disappointed that your bank is determined to make mountains out of anthills. It’s galling. I had an investment account that I wanted to move to another investment company, and they stalled and stalled. When the customer service person said an email reply would take 6 weeks, fuming, I said, an email transfer takes 10 minutes of your time. You don’t get to hide behind the technology, because I worked through that whole era: 16 minutes per page to send a fax to London, early computers that only did word processing on a 10” one-color monitor, uploading and downloading documents from a floppy disk, and memorizing Cmd-Shift keystrokes for every task other than a lowercase letter. Then I told her to “get on the stick” and I expected the transfer that day. I don’t know what “get on the stick” even means, but when my dad said that, you jumped into action. Well, I got the transfer that day! Be bold!
ReplyDeleteBonnie in Minneapolis
Good for you! I try to be polite and work within the system, but there does come a time when you have to put your foot down. I think I'm pretty much there. I will tell them to "get on the stick"! (My parents said that too.)
DeleteHow amazing that you still have all these journals! I think it's great and a wonderful task to dedicate your time and mind to (even better than the slides).
ReplyDeleteIt will be fun to look back at old memories, but probably cringeworthy too. LOL
DeleteYou might suggest to the bank that considering the nonsense they keep spouting to you are going to report them to the state banking commission for questionable business practices (Florida Office of Financial Regulation - actual office - flofr.gov). It might move them. When I once had an issue with an insurance company, I sent them a complaint letter that showed a copy had been sent to my state insurance commissioner. It helped. Good luck.
ReplyDeleteYes to this. I had a bank officer try to block a legitimate insurance payment until I explained the NJ Commissioner of Insurance and Banking would be interested. The manager got on the phone begging me not to report it, and fixed it himself. I wondered if this was something they often did.
DeleteOh, that's a good idea. If they continue to erect roadblocks I might do that.
Delete$2.00 for a movie, those were the days. I can actually remember when a McDonald's burger was 15 cents.
ReplyDeleteI remember when a pack of gum was 10 cents. I think McDonald's burgers were about 50 cents when I worked there...? I can't quite remember.
DeleteThankfully you got some good rain. The landscape must be nicely refreshed.
ReplyDeleteAt 13, your beer can hobby kept you well engaged working with other US collectors to select and round out your collection. Impressive.
The banks are not what they used to be. Customer service seems low priority. Can you reach a bank manager (decision maker) by phone and state your requirements? As well as report the antics to date. Lately, I have found, some frontline people seem determined to cause delays and make things as hard as possible. It is not pleasant.
Yeah, the interaction with people all over the country was pretty fun, actually. It definitely broadened our world beyond our little neighborhood. Getting ahold of a manager on the phone is pretty hard. The bank has a dedicated team of call-center people to work with estates, so that's who I usually wind up dealing with. But if they keep stonewalling me I'll demand to speak to a decision maker.
Deletere the bank and your inheritance, I already related to you my experience when my aunt died so I'm all in the camp that this is intentional. The longer they keep the money the more they make off it.
ReplyDeleteMy sister kept personal journals (I never have even though I tried a couple of times, never got past two entries) and in her will we were instructed to burn them unread. Her granddaughter wanted to read them but her daughter and I honored my sister's wishes and burned them. I often wonder what she wrote about her life that she didn't want anyone to read. I think she was an inherently unhappy person.
Yeah, they DO have an interest in keeping the money as long as possible. They seem to move more expeditiously when we open an account with them in our own names and agree to move the money there, as some of my siblings have discovered. It's good that you respected your sister's wishes.
DeleteThat bank business is ridiculous. You should send in a complaint to the local TV station. Do they still have investigative reporters who highlight stories like this to shame the perpetrators? I know we used to have someone who did that for one of the Charlotte stations - sort of like a better business bureau except on TV.
ReplyDeleteYou were a really good writer even back in the day! It's a not a surprise you made that your profession for a while.
I don't know if those consumer reporters still exist! Maybe that's an option I should explore if needed!
DeleteWow - you've been writing for so many years, no wonder your blog is always interesting
ReplyDeleteI was pretty much born to blog. LOL
DeleteThat's an excellent idea! I remember when movies were $2 although I think it was a special price.
ReplyDeleteI wondered if it was a matinee price, but the entry says we went "tonight" so it appears not!
DeleteI am so glad I did not journal and/or keep those journals when I was young. What journal-type writing I do have is far more than enough. You weren't wallowing in emotional goop the way I was.
ReplyDeleteSorry but EFF that bank! This should be illegal.
I wallowed in emotional goop during my early college years, and I destroyed those journals years ago. I'm most interested in the ones that recorded everyday events, as opposed to the "nobody-loves-me" stuff.
DeleteYou were hilarious as a child weren't you. Insulting yourself! That is funny. If the blog is just for yourself you don't need to edit, you will remember and understand.
ReplyDeleteI hope that your phone call will snap them out of their bullshite behavior. That sort of nutsy stuff drives me mad- I am sure you are half way there by now!
also I would have had that tin in my possession right away Tin snips and a drill and VOILA- another art object! . Just what you need.
DeleteOh, I didn't even think of that! But yeah, probably not a project I need to take on. :)
DeleteI will edit the journals because if they ever DO become public through some Internet fluke I don't want them to be too embarrassing.
Is this bank in the US? It may be time to file a complaint with its regulator. Federally chartered, go to the OCC for a bank, or if a credit union, try the NCUA. State chartered banks have state regulators. You can look all of this up online. Sometimes just the threat of going to their regulator works. (How do I know this? One of my sisters worked for the OCC.)
ReplyDeleteThe bank IS in the USA. I may make this threat if they drag things out too much, but they responded well to my most recent complaint so we'll see.
DeleteI'm sure there is much in your diaries that would otherwise be forgotten.
ReplyDeleteMany countries are known for their inefficient bureaucracies, but I didn't think the US would be one of them, aside from medical care administration.
Oh yeah, a lot of the everyday stuff I would never remember otherwise! Corporate bureaucracy is worse than government bureaucracy, in a lot of ways.
DeleteI am admitting in public (well online) that I have never yet seen most of the Star wars movies and maybe it's time I did. I have them here somewhere...
ReplyDeleteYour stepmother's bank is being unnecessarily difficult making you jump through hoops like that.
You should watch the first three "Star Wars" movies, for sure. Beyond that classic trilogy I'd say everything is optional.
DeleteI wonder what I would think if I read journals I had kept when I was 13. Yours is charming and at that young age you already sound like you. Insulting myself was my way of life. There would have been no Good Grief. That decorative tin is tempting. The bank! I’d be coming up with a whole new collection of swear words. Bailey’s expression is adorable. I love the side eye and the smile.
ReplyDeleteI picked up "Good Grief" from Charles Schulz and used it all the time. LOL
DeleteI am very impressed by your writing skills at just 13 years old ... you were destined to become either an author or a blogger. :-)
ReplyDeleteFrom a very young age, I was fascinated by the idea of keeping a diary. I think I saw Marcia do it on "The Brady Bunch" (an old American TV show, in case you haven't seen it) and I was inspired!
Delete