Wednesday, September 23, 2026

Trouble and Other Public Scribbles


I wonder if whoever wrote this used to hear from their parents, "Here comes Trouble!" And somehow it became their nickname? Or maybe their actual name. Who knows?

In a few more hours I'll be taking off for Florida. I'm trying to wrap up some last minute stuff here at home, packing a few more items, but I'm mostly ready to go. Bailey is squeezed up next to me in bed as I write this. I feel guilty leaving her. She's going to miss having someone here at home all day.

We took a walk yesterday and found the graffiti above, as well as all this:





And then there were a couple of artworks:


Keira, age 6, contributed this fine portrait to the Mill Lane Bridge.


And we found these boards of text propped up outside someone's flat, next to the rubbish. The one at left contains a long quote from a speech by Teddy Roosevelt, urging us all to be people of action.

The one at the right is in Greek and, according to the ever-reliable Google AI function, is a poem titled "As Long As You Can" by Constantine Cavafy, from 1913. "The poem reflects on preserving one's life from the trivializing weight of excessive social interaction and mundane routines," it says. Like going through airport security, I'm thinking.


Finally, here's Bailey Girl, posing next to some very productive yellow clematis -- not a color you see every day.

Next stop, the Sunshine State!

29 comments:

  1. Have a good journey!!

    interesting art. and intriguing writing. I wonder why they were going out

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have sunshine here so I'm not too jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah! Next stop The Sunshine State with its benevolent governor Ron DeSantis, lurking alligators and the seaside mansion of President Golfbrain - eighteen holes in there! Have a good trip and don't get shot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buen viaje. Thanks for the great discoveries. And Bailey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the "Play Street" sign beside Bailey Girl!

    Safe travels, Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your quotes from Roosevelt and Greek poems. It beats the long form graffiti that is more typically found here painted on the sides of barns or pieces of plywood tied to fence posts along a field. They are typically pro our "current occupant" or a curse words against our "previous occupant" as I like to refer to our presidents. I don't see long form graffiti much that isn't political in nature unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you avoid social interactions AND boring routine, what's left? Ziplining? Work? Hmm.

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great shot of Bailey.
    Safe travels to Flori-duh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the Greek poem. Thank you.
    I am also extremely amused at what looks like Bailey reading. What a dog!
    Seems like none of your commenters have anything nice to say about Florida. Yes. We have our problems but we also have our beauty and some very, very cool people and places.
    Enjoy all of those you can.

    ReplyDelete
  10. For Bailey every street's a play street. Bon voyage.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Travel On , With The New Camera ??

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  12. Safe travels Steve.
    Enjoy your time in FL. Seeing family and connecting with friends will be enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That yellow clematis is gorgeous. And thestreet? A play street? No traffic allowed during those hours. When my son was a toddler he had a t-shirt that said 'here comes trouble'.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enjoy your trip to Florida, Steve!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope you have safe travels today! I'm sure by now you are well on your way. Going through airport security is surely one of those mundane routines.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't think I've ever seen yellow climatis. Have a great trip and hope all goes well with the flight.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have a very safe trip. I know Bailey will miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm impressed with 6-yr-old Keira's artwork! I hope your time in FL is fun and productive! (will you be tidying up things from your stepmother's estate?)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, I am a Brit living in America. I read your blog and love that you have Bailey. We just lost our American bulldog, she was 11 years old and we miss her very much. I am happy that Bailey doesn't have to wear a muzzle when in public, she mustn't be an XXL bully breed. I have found that bully breeds are very loving and friendly towards people so I don't understand the muzzle thing at all. Enjoy your trip to Florida!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bon Voyage from another Sunshine State (my September total is 5.5mm, and yes, there are 6 days left but not a glimmer of hope on that horizon)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Safe travels! Based on the way Bailey was reading those quotes, maybe leave a good book out for her to read during her time alone.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think you'll enjoy the sunshine state or any other state more, because you're retired.

    ReplyDelete
  23. If you are in Florida and reading this, there is no point in saying safe travels. Instead enjoy your time there.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Safe travels to you! Great photo of Bailey; she's very photogenic. "Here comes trouble" hasn't come out of my mouth recently but when one of my grandsons is heading out of my sight and toward another person, I'll call out "Incoming." Like a bomb.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I like the graffiti that looks like a young Popeye, and teddy Roosevelt's speech.

    ReplyDelete