Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Eighth Avenue, June 2007


Some of you asked for a peek at my new office. I took some photos yesterday, but the ones of my actual desk area fail to capture the beauty of the building. Something about cubicles - no matter how nice, and they are really really nice - just isn't very inspiring.

This, however, is the cafeteria. You can see the beautiful light and the shadowy effect of the sunscreens on the outside of the building. Our previous cafeteria had big windows, but having big windows in a solid wall is just not the same as an entire wall of glass.

By now, all you New Yorkers probably know which new building this is. The architect is Renzo Piano, who also recently created a beautiful addition to the Morgan Library. Piano designed this building to be open and transparent, so many of the inner walls are also glass. Everything has a very clean look. I find it an incredible place to work.

Unfortunately, I've been caught in bureaucratic hell trying to get one of my computers hooked up. It's a long, boring story, but fortunately the problem should be solved today. No move is without its glitches!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks like a really great place to have lunch! I've seen the addition to the Morgan Library, which is gorgeous! How cool that you get to work in a building designed by someone named "Piano." Very cool.

Mercury is retrograde, so no wonder you're struggling with your computer. But until it's working, at least you can gaze out the window and admire the skyline of your fabulous city.

Anonymous said...

Very nice Steve. f I was a working man, I'd want to work in a place just like that! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, it is really pretty and modern-lush.
it does look inspiring.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful space this is! I hope you sort your computer problems out get to fully enjoy this lovely place! :o)

Anonymous said...

What a great cafeteria. And the carpet will still be clean. I'll be over for lunch next week.

Ms Soup

Anonymous said...

i liked this pic on flickr but didn't realise - of couse - that you work here. I work in a very old, historic, lovely building - but it can be kind of heavy, dark... This looks/sounds lovely.

Anonymous said...

go on, show us yer cubicle!

Anonymous said...

So that's what it looks like inside! Thanks!! I saw the models and the preview of the ceramic [bars..term unknown] during Open House NY Oct 2005...
very nice....
so you work for the paper, or what?
what's going on with the street art?
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/28/arts/design/28stin.html