Saturday, May 28, 2011

Filling


I had to go into New York yesterday to see the dentist. I had my teeth cleaned a couple of weeks ago for the first time since I left the New York Times Company, and the dentist found a filling that he said was deteriorated. He wanted to replace it. So that was the task for yesterday. Fortunately it was a small filling and an easy procedure. Gotta take care of these things while I still have dental insurance!

Afterwards I went walking with my camera from his office on East 54th Street over to the West Side and down Ninth and Tenth avenues, back to Penn Station. I'm always fascinated by the shadows from fire escapes, the rhythmic patterns they cast on walls and sidewalks. Hell's Kitchen is a really good neighborhood for fire escapes.


My friend Tricia from Florida arrived yesterday evening for a couple days, along with her 4-year-old daughter Kate. I want to take them somewhere quintessentially Jersey, so we're going to go down to Asbury Park today to check out the scene on the boardwalk. We had a great time last night going over some old letters, particularly a really funny one that Tricia wrote from Japan in 2003 involving lesbians and a hike on Mt. Fuji in high heels.

4 comments:

Barbara said...

I'm sure you have missed your favorite photo spots in the city since you moved to NJ. Can't wait to see the London shadows!

I'm glad you are taking care of your teeth!

Reya Mellicker said...

I, too, love fire escape shadows. There aren't many of them here on Capitol Hill.

Glad you got your teeth taken care of!

Gregg Biggs said...

After several years of not taking advantage of my dental insurance, I had a lot of work done over the past three years, including a root canal where they jack open your mouth with a "pillow" for three hours. It has felt so good to go in the past couple of years and hear "everything's perfect".

Gary said...

Have you been to Grounds for Sculpture in Hamilton? If not, let's plan an outing.