Thursday, September 1, 2016

A Song Change, and a Potential Cruise


I could not get up this morning. It's now almost 7 a.m. and I haven't even blogged yet, and the dog (who couldn't get up either) needs to be walked, and I need my shower and all that stuff, not to mention breakfast. Dave managed to get himself up and out of here. I don't know why I was so tired!

I feel great, though, I must say. Well-rested.

We're changing songs entirely for our faculty/staff choir performance tomorrow. We've gone from "With a Little Help from My Friends," which you may remember had some lyrics issues, to "All You Need is Love." The latter, though, is a little more difficult to sing. The rhythm isn't quite regular and the verse lyrics come in a rush -- "nothing you can do but you can learn how to be you in time" -- so they're hard for a group to sing without sounding muddy. And we've had exactly one rehearsal. Oh well -- once again, the kids will know the song.

I met last night with a French teacher at school who wanted help planning a photo book. She and I went through her pictures and spoke French pretty much the whole time -- which I found I could do, surprisingly. Maybe I'm not as hopeless as I thought!

My stepmother is cooking up a plan to take all of us kids and our spouses on a cruise for Christmas. Woo hoo! It really is incredibly generous of her, and I hope it works out with everyone's schedule. Dave and I have a two-week break so we have to squeeze it into that amount of time, and we also need to visit my mom and his parents at some point. So it may be an action-packed Christmas. I've never cruised before! I'll try to forget David Foster Wallace's take on the experience.

(Photo: Islington, Aug. 16.)

12 comments:

Alphie Soup said...

A cruise Steve. Well, there are cruises and cruises and I hope yours will be one that you really, really, like....

I seem to recall a post where you wrote about a cruise Dave's parents (?) had enjoyed and your response: maybe you might consider it when you were about 70. :-))

Alphie

Yorkshire Pudding said...

I thought all American teenagers "cruised" in open top cars - checking out the local talent and wolf whistling before heading to the drugstore for shakes and, presumably, drugs.

Will it be a Caribbean cruise? A lovely idea from your step-mother. After all, what is money for?

Ms. Moon said...

That IS a generous offer from your stepmama. I went on a cruise once.
It was...weird.
But there was plenty to eat! If it stops off at Cozumel you could just leave the ship and stay for awhile.

John Going Gently said...

Been past that pub!

ellen abbott said...

I've never been on a cruise either and think I would like to some day except I keep remembering the times when everyone gets sick or the ship breaks down or the sewage system backs up.

Linda d said...

I, personally, would not choose a cruise as a vacation but life isn't just about me and a chance to be with the people I love would definitely compel me to do something I would otherwise not. Hope it all works out.

Red said...

So it was panic city this morning at your house. You have a great idea to sing for the kids. Kids love it when teachers perform.

The Bug said...

As you know Mike & I LOVED our cruise last December. It was just right for us.

jenny_o said...

What a lovely and generous gift from your stepmother! You'll have lots of good memories.

e said...

How wonderful about the cruise! How was the performance for the kids?

Steve Reed said...

Alphie: Yeah, I do recall saying something like that! Well, circumstances change, right?!

YP: Yes, we'll be in the Caribbean somewhere. Not sure where!

Ms Moon: In a way, I'm counting on the weirdness.

John: Was it open then?

Ellen: I know! Norovirus! Argh!

Linda D: If I were paying I wouldn't pick a cruise either. But my stepmother LOVES cruises, and having never been on one, I'm going to be open-minded about it. Besides, it's really the family time that counts!

Red: Yeah, they'll get a kick out of it, even though I'm sure we sound terrible.

Bug: Good to know! I'm always happy to hear positive cruise experiences. :)

Jenny-O: It really is amazingly kind of her. And yeah, it will produce some good memories.

E: It happens this morning. Ask me tomorrow! :)

37paddington said...

That was such an interesting visit to your archives to read your post from 2008 written right after DFW's suicide. I wasn't reading you then but should have been!