Tuesday, July 17, 2018

In Cambodia, a Common Rose


We're in Siem Reap, Cambodia, after a long, LONG flight via Ho Chi Minh City (aka Saigon). We are lying by the pool at our hotel waiting for our room to be prepared. The desk clerk said we have the "James Bond Room," which confused me until I realized he meant No. 007.

The flight went smoothly. I finished two books and an issue of The New Yorker. If you haven't read the article about young people and the culture of live-streaming, go check it out. It was the most confounding thing I've ever read. The idea that people pay money to watch someone go about his or her daily life, for hours, and also come up with numerous (and sometimes dangerous) ways to harass that person -- well, it just makes me realize there's a whole universe of stuff going on out there that I never imagined. And it makes me think, like any old curmudgeon, that the world might just be going to hell.

And also, what is up with people and carry-on luggage? A woman on my flight had FIVE carrry-on bags -- two backpacks, a roller bag and two shopping bags.

But anyway, never mind my grousing -- because we're in Cambodia!


The airports in both Saigon and Siem Reap are gleaming, modern structures -- Saigon's could be pretty much anywhere, with its gleaming stone floors, glass walls and numerous flat-screen TVs. (Granted, they were showing K-Pop boy bands.) I got a bit concerned when my bag wasn't immediately evident on the luggage carousel in Siem Reap, but turns out it just fell off the belt and was lying behind some equipment. A guy from the lost & found desk located it promptly!

The thing in the top photo is a tuk-tuk, the driver of which picked us up from the airport and took us to our hotel. Dave may look concerned, all folded up inside it, but he was hamming it up for the camera -- he was actually very excited to ride in one. The second photo was the view from the tuk-tuk on the way to the hotel. Lots of interesting vehicles on the road!


Soon after we ensconced ourselves here at the hotel pool, this large swallowtail butterfly floated past and landed on a shrub near our chairs. I think it's a type called a "common rose," although I am certainly not an expert on Cambodian butterflies.

I feel dead on my feet, but I'm afraid to go to sleep for fear I won't sleep tonight. So that's the challenge -- staying awake for the next eight hours!

14 comments:

Linda Sue said...

Glad to see you there, Cute Dave!! - I looked up the weather report for Cambodia- looks like you may get damp? Have a wonderful adventure.

e said...

Very cute of Dave...will you go sight-seeing until you can sleep? Have a great time!

Yorkshire Pudding said...

...And there was me believing that you were one of the world's leading authorities on Cambodian butterflies! Your second day in Cambodia will be mind-blowing as you explore the the incredible Angkor ruins.

Alphie Soup said...

Fabulous butterfly! Welcome to this part of the world where how-much-luggage-you-can-cram-in-the-overhead-rack has to be seen to be believed!
You will both be in for quite an experience on this holiday. Enjoy it.
Alphie

Ms. Moon said...

This is so awesome! Dave and Steve in Southeast Asia!
The tuk-tuk looks very swank.
The James Bond room? How funny.
Tell us more, please.

Red said...

Exposure to a new culture is mind stretching but very positive. Just that Tuk-Tuk makes one think about differences.

Anonymous said...

I love that you are posting on the blog from Cambodia. I get to enjoy another vicarious adventure. It looks like a wonderful beginning-- Dave in the tuk-tuk and that butterfly! I can't wait to see what comes next.

Sharon said...

So glad you arrived and are now safely tucked into your the James Bond suite. That first day after a long flight is always a challenge. I'm loving the photos already!

Catalyst said...

Glad you made it but your pillow tonight will be very welcome.

37paddington said...

How cool that you're there. Looking forward to seeing and hearing more!

ellen abbott said...

so cool to be there!

Stillwaterrunsdeep said...

Have a wonderful trip! My niece has been in Cambodia and her photos were so intriguing! The ruins are beautiful. And it's nice to see Dave, I have yet to 'meet' him! Happy travels, to both of you!

jenny_o said...

The tuk-tuk drivers are wearing helmets! Somehow that comes as a pleasant surprise :)

I read the New Yorker article on live streaming and have to say I'm not impressed with the concept or the reality. Some (a lot) of young people have to find a better purpose in life than they currently have. I don't think we're being curmudgeonly; it's a horrifying thought that so many peoples' lives are so completely caught up in such a warped way of living. Are they still going to be doing that when they're seventy? Another scary thought.

The Bug said...

That second picture reminds me a LOT of Zambia when I was there. Although we didn't have tuk-tuks. I would LOVE to have ridden in one!