Friday, March 6, 2020

Primroses


Olga and I found these hardy primroses on our walk Wednesday, growing in a crack between the curb and the street. I am always impressed when a flower takes root in such an unlikely place.


I tried to get Olga to pose with them, but she seemed uncertain. I think she thought she was being punished.

Our washing machine woes have been sorted out. The repairman returned Wednesday evening with the new door latch and installed it. No extra charge! Generous indeed, but we did pay a fair amount in the first place to get him to come out on a weekend for his initial consultation, so maybe he took pity on us.

Anyway, I've done two loads of laundry and I'm more or less caught up. Olga's dog towel was so gross I couldn't bring myself to wash it with the rest of our stuff, so it's going to require its own cycle. All this mud!

Have you heard that even dogs can apparently get the coronavirus? Good grief. The number of cases in the UK continues to climb. There are contingency plans for closing the school if necessary, although I'm not sure what purpose that would serve -- would we be closed days? Weeks? Until the end of the school year? It seems to me we have to continue leading our lives as normally as possible while taking sensible precautions like washing our hands.

I'm planning on following through with my trip to Florida in early April, unless the airlines or health authorities have other ideas by then.

12 comments:

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Curb? What's a curb? Oh, I see, you mean kerb. K-E-R-B. Happy to help with your spelling development Steve.

Shirley and I were thinking about booking to go to Madeira in April but we have put our plans on hold because of potential travel disruption as the year progresses. Madeira can wait.

Moving with Mitchell said...

Olga DOES look awfully guilty. I wonder if there’s something she hasn’t told you. I’ve read that although pets can test positive for coronavirus we shouldn’t be concerned about pets catching or passing it on. It’s all so exhausting.

Ms. Moon said...

Those primroses give me hope for the planet for when we humans have pandemic-ed ourselves and nuked ourselves out of existence.
And that's about where I'm at this morning.

Edna B said...

I love how wonderful Nature is. What a breath of fresh air to find those beautiful flowers there. I hope nothing hurts them. I do hope you are able to take your trip to Florida. Just be careful for both you and Olga. Use sanitizer on her paws too. If you can. Buy lots of it because lots of our stores have run out of it. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

The Bug said...

Oooh pretty flowers! I love Olga not being sure about posing with them, although I feel guilty for thinking she's cute when she thinks she's being punished.

I can't seem to get too worried about getting this virus (personally I mean). I'm trying to remember to wash my hands for the required 20-30 seconds, but it's hard. And if that's the hardest thing I have going on then I guess I'm doing pretty well.

Sharon said...

I love those pretty flowers growing in such a difficult place. My friend Julie is flying home from India as I write this. She is due to land in San Francisco around 9:30. It will be interesting to hear if any health precautions are taken when they land. She hasn't mentioned any on her entire trip.

Anonymous said...

Love those primroses taking root and blooming there. Such tenacity. Olga looks lovely with them.
I'm worried about the coronavirus here in California. Governor has already declared a state of emergency, and there's been one case in our local hospital. We're pretty obsessive about hand washing, and that's about all we can do these days.

Red said...

Not knowing what might happen with the virus keeps everything up in the air.

Allison said...

I love primroses, they always look so cheerful and friendly. Unfortunately, the deer and the javelinas also love them. Javelinas also love chives, I am told. Arizona currently only has one confirmed case of Covid-19 and they know how he got it. Of course, with no testing how would we know what's out there? We're avoiding people, we're both over 60, so we're the age group that dies. I read yesterday that autopsies show it's more like SARS and AIDS than the flu, which is not a comforting thought. On that happy note - carry on and don't touch your face!

Catalyst said...

There is a lot of over-reaction in the general public but under-reaction by our Mighty Stable Genius-class President.

jenny_o said...

I paid over $5 Canadian for a primrose plant that size last summer!! Primroses are one of my favourite perennials. And dandelions, for the same quality of tenacity.

Olga does look concerned about her status as a good girl, doesn't she? :)

Have you seen the news report that it's possible there are two different strains of the coronavirus circulating, a weaker one and a more severe one? Preliminary results, but still interesting.

37paddington said...

Several schools in the US have closed over covid 19 fears. Every time someone coughs in my vicinity, my throat hurts, but then I'm very suggestible. And yet I feel rather fatalistic. I can wash my hands and not touch my face, but there's only so much any of us can do as it is likely spreading unchecked right now, since no one is testing anyone for the virus till they are in dire straits. The govt dropped the ball on getting ahead of this thing, and there aren't enough testing kids. A woman at my daughter's bf's job who had just returned from the trip to Indonesia, who had cold or flu symptoms, walked into an urgent care place requesting she be tested. They laughed. They had no tests. The women kept going to work because there was a big deadline. So it goes.