Sunday, July 17, 2022

Lobster in the Gloaming


It's 63º F (17º C) right now, with the high today projected to be 88º F (31º C). Not too terrible, right? We don't really get slammed with heat until tomorrow, apparently.

Yesterday morning Dave said, "I think we should go get breakfast in Hampstead." Now, when Dave proposes doing something out of the house, I know to say yes -- he's such a terminal homebody that it's a very rare event. Turns out he wanted to visit a fishmonger on Hampstead High Street to pick up some stuff for our friends Gordon and Donna, who were having dinner here last night. So we leashed up Olga and walked to Hampstead, where we sat out on the sidewalk at Gail's and had coffee and pastries. I enjoyed the bright morning sun and the hallucinogenic reflections in a nearby shop window (above).

We had a little trouble finding the fishmonger, but when we did, Dave busied himself with his purchases while I took the dog for a short walk on the West Heath.


On the way home, we passed this impressive house, with its sculpted hedges and masses of white hydrangeas banked against the walls like a snowball fortress. When we first moved to West Hampstead in 2014 this place was a bit of a wreck, as I recall, but someone has since invested a lot of money in it.

We got home to find that Dave had purchased lobster (pre-cooked, not live, thank God). He spent the day mostly in the kitchen, preparing his four-course meal (green gazpacho with frozen feta cheese and radish flakes, scallops with pureed parsnips and orange sauce, lobster with fresh artichoke hearts, lemon posset).

I, meanwhile, sat out in the garden with Olga:


I'm reading "The Tender Bar," which I've been meaning to read for years, and I'm really enjoying it. It's a 2005 memoir by J. R. Moehringer, who grew up on Long Island the son of a single mother, and whose neighborhood bar served as a locus of male camaraderie in his life. It was made into a movie last year which I haven't seen yet.

Finally, Gordon and Donna arrived at 7 p.m., and we ate out in the garden in the gloaming. In England, in the summer, that's a long period of time -- evening and twilight last for ages, the sky staying bright behind the darkening trees. We had time for three of our four courses before moving indoors for our posset.

I'm still cleaning up the kitchen. I have one more dishwasher load to go and things will be back to normal, much to Olga's relief.

32 comments:

Frances said...

My word, that was one very fine meal. Is Dave a 5 star chef?

Moving with Mitchell said...

Dave and SG are cut from the same cloth, I think. I jumped at any suggestion of an outing with him. The gardens in front of that house are stunning and the shop window photo is wonderful. Of course, YOUR garden and Olga top everything.

River said...

Your garden is amazing, a lovely place to eat dinner in the gloaming. That big house is lovely too, but is it a single family house or divided into apartments? I suspect apartments, which is nice as more people get to enjoy living there. I like the shop window photo.

Boud said...

Dave is a wonderful cook. I remember last time you reported on a company meal, too.
With his loving to be home and your loving to go out, I wonder how you ever met! Clearly it's great that you did.

Michael said...

Dave sounds like a great cook! Though I am not a fan of lobster.

Dov said...

I had to look up the word "posset". Interesting. :-)

Debby said...

I love the word gloaming.

Barbara Rogers said...

Loved the photos...and am glad your narrative described how lobsters fit with them! What a lovely evening and dinner!

Anonymous said...

There will come a time when you don't have guests for dinner. You may at times feel sad about it, but at other times relief. A second load for the dishwasher sounds like a success.

The menu sounds great though.

The last photo of Olga in the dappled shade of the garden is lovely.

NewRobin13 said...

That sounds like such a lovely dinner with friends, outside in the gloaming. Dave is quite a cook.

Marcia LaRue said...

My goodness, Dave sounds like he is a trained chef ... Is he? I think anyone would be honored to sit down to a meal like that! 👏
In S. CO, we are dealing with temps in the 90s ... a whole lot of hot air and no rain to speak of! Ugh!!! Your garden looks so cool and refreshing!!

Ellen D. said...

Yes, I was wondering also if Dave went to culinary school as his meals sound very complicated and exotic. I had to google "posset" too. I love everything lemon so it sounds yummy to me.

ellen abbott said...

Wish I had a fancy cook! We have Sahara dust in the air again.

Pixie said...

That house looks amazing. It must have cost a pretty penny to restore. Sounds like you had a lovely meal and a lovely evening. I like the term gloaming too. I read a book once called "Chasing Daylight" by Eugene O'Kelley which you might like.

Linda Sue said...

"The mists of May are in the gloaming"- I was never quite sure what "gloaming" was until now, thank you.
That house is high rent living! Must be owned by Russians...Lovley what has been done to the yard/garden.
I saw the movie of
Tender Bar , I am sure the book is way better.
WOW Dave is the MAN!! what a dinner!

gz said...

Dave having his day..very good and he obviously enjoys doing that. You are fortunate.
An evening meal al fresco sounds lovely

Kelly said...

"Terminal homebody". What a great expression (and one I can relate to). Those white hydrangeas are spectacular! But of course the best thing in a garden is Olga. I assume she kept y'all company while you dined there.

Allison said...

I look at that double row of hedges with the red plants growing between the hedges (roses?) and I wonder how the grounds keeper gets in there with a hedge trimmer. It's an impressive yard, but yours is way better.
Dinner sounds very impressive!

Margaret said...

I wish I liked lobster! I love the word gloaming but was never quite sure what it meant.

Sharon said...

Oh my goodness, that dinner sounds wonderful. And that's coming from someone who had two gourmet meals this weekend on Friday and Saturday. Dave must be a fabulous cook.
I love all your photos today. Those reflections are great and that house you found is beautiful and your garden looks fantastic with Olga lounging in the grass.

Sandra said...

You have a fine life!

jenny_o said...

Terminal homebody vs master chef meals and musical talent ... it must all balance out :D (I am a terminal homebody, too, so that would be a plus in my book anyway.) Sounds like a beautiful dinner in a wonderful setting. Lovely Olga no doubt added to the party. Your garden/yard looks like such an oasis, with both sun and shade, and all the shades of green.

jenny_o said...

P. S. Plus another crackerjack title :) :)

Marty said...

You're getting very English, what with your posset and gloaming.
And I want to eat at your house.

roentare said...

The first pic shows a well manicured garden in deed!
Olga's garden looks English.
Great shots

The Bug said...

That sounded like Dave hadn't meant to purchase lobster - but since he can cook anything I'm sure it wasn't a problem for him. I love your garden - it looks like somewhere I'd like to sit and read a book. And I was planning on using "gloaming" in my post today!

John Going Gently said...

Lobster, you are the spoilt bunny

Yorkshire Pudding said...

You are lucky that Dave decided to have you as his life partner. Was it him you wanted or his culinary skills? I looked out for you in London but never saw you.

e said...

Sounds like a lovely time.

Ms. Moon said...

Dave was on his A-Game, wasn't he? I bet that meal was incredible.
I read The Tender Bar and I saw the movie. I thought it was excellent.

Jeanie said...

I think I want to come to dinner at your house!

I love the term "the gloaming." It's so evocative and brings to mind lovely feelings of relaxing at the end of the day with friends. Lovely.

37paddington said...

Gloaming. Posset. I feel positively cultured. Dave certainly knows his way around a fine dining menu. I trust your guests were suitably impressed?