Saturday, June 22, 2024

Montague Burton


Here's another photo from my walk through Dagenham on Thursday. This old Deco building attracted my attention because, at the top, you can see evidence of its former life.


This was originally an outlet for Montague Burton, "The Tailor of Taste," who -- according to this article about a different Burton building in nearby Barking -- had more than 600 menswear stores by the time he died in 1952. He was an immigrant from Russia who arrived in Britain in 1900 as 15-year-old Meshe David Osinsky. He eventually built a menswear empire by selling ready-to-wear suits, which were less expensive than custom tailored ones, and according to that article the expression "The Full Monty" may stem from his name. He was even knighted in 1931.

Apparently, his Art Deco buildings are known for featuring elephants (I don't see any on this one) and often have engraved foundation stones laid by Burton's family members. More about that here. In this particular case I didn't know to look for those, and it seems they might be covered up by produce shelving anyway.

So, an interesting little glimpse into the past, there!

Dave and I are off to Madrid today. Our friend Warren is staying with Olga, and we had him over for lunch yesterday to re-acquaint him with the flat and with her routines. We had a very American summertime lunch -- steaks, corn on the cob, potato salad and watermelon. But we gave it a British twist with Pimm's!

Warren will only be here for a night, but it's a warm-up for when we leave for South America at the end of the month. Warren will then be on Olga duty for two weeks. We're just happy she can stay here in familiar surroundings, rather than having to go to a kennel or a boarder. She's too old for that.

So, yeah, coming to you from Madrid tomorrow morning! Because it's such a short trip, I'm going to leave my computer behind and try blogging from my phone. We'll see how that goes.

20 comments:

Andrew said...

Rather interesting history to the Burton empire. I can see how 'the full Monty' could have arisen.

Have a great time in Madrid and watch out for those passionate Spaniards.

River said...

"Ilford Food Centre" wasn't Ilford once a brand of camera film? Nice building anyway with a good history.

Will said...

Yes, I remember using Ilford film in my camera many years ago.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

I wonder why Meshe David Osinsky didn't use his own name for his many menswear outlets. I also wonder if he had a bird scarer and pigeon spikes on his balcony. Have a lovely break in Madrid.

roentare said...

Ilford reminds me of the black and white films I used to use plenty of times in youthhood. These two signs are quite good actually.

Moving with Mitchell said...

Happy travels. Great photo and a fascinating history. Interesting that Meshe David Osinsky became Sir Montague Maurice Burton. I wonder if he’d even have been knighted had he kept his own name.

Bob said...

Interesting story! A knighted tailor.

Happy travels.

Boud said...

They used to build the names into the fascia, evidently expecting to stay in business a long time. such confidence! Or bravado.

Enjoy your trip to Spain. I guess too far from Mitchell to meet.

Ellen D. said...

Safe travels, Steve, and have fun in Madrid!

The Bug said...

Have fun!

ellen abbott said...

those old buildings are so much more interesting than our modern day architecture which snubs any kind of decoration. so cool that you can just take day trips to another country.

Red said...

The history of the building is large and takes you to many parts of a successful life.

Sharon said...

I love Art Deco so "Monty's" buildings really appeal to me. What an interesting man and family.
Have a fun trip. An overnight trip to Madrid sounds so much more appealing than an overnight trip to Oklahoma City.

Jeanie said...

That IS a beautiful building, Steve. I love the deco look and this one has wonderful lines and details. Have fun in Madrid -- that sounds great. (I can't imagine just scooting to Madrid for a night, but I suppose I could cross the border to Canada for a night, and have. Just different!

Susan said...

Nice building with a great history. A wonderful and highly successful business was built by an Russian looking to make a new life and prosper. That is impressive. Knowing Olga will be happy in her own home while you are on holiday is ideal. Enjoy Madrid.

Debby said...

Have a fine time in Madrid. Can't wait to hear all about it.

Allison said...

We have travel envy that you can just pop over to Madrid. Have a great time.

River said...

Can I leave a message here for Yorkshire Pudding? I am unable to leave comments on his blogposts, though I still read every day. There is a glitch that says "an error occured while publishing" (or something like that) and it is happening on many of the blogs I follow so they probably think I just don't go there anymore.

Steve Reed said...

Andrew: I'm going to LOOK for them! LOL

River: Yes! Ilford is a brand of slide film, I think. Or maybe they did photo film too.

Will: Yeah. Ilford is a community in East London. I assume the film was named for it?

YP: He was adhering to the long tradition of immigrants anglicizing their names -- it happened both here and in the USA. (Sometimes against the immigrants' will!)

Roentare: Yeah, it's funny how the name Ilford brings that to mind for so many people!

Mitchell: Sir Meshe Oshinsky doesn't have the same ring as Sir Montague Burton!

Bob: Yeah, how often does THAT happen?

Boud: Yeah, Mitchell is not nearby and we don't have much time anyway.

Ellen D: Thank you!

Bug: Thanks!

Ellen: It must have added to the cost of the buildings, but I love how that was considered an acceptable expense -- to beautify them.

Red: It was certainly a surprise to read about Sir Burton, who I'd never heard of!

Sharon: It seems that many of his buildings were Deco, which I guess makes sense considering the years in which his empire prospered.

Jeanie: Exactly! It's really very close. I've gone to Paris on a day trip before -- just a few hours via the Chunnel.

Susan: Yeah, it helps so much to know Olga will be staying in familiar surroundings.

Debby: It will be a short story! LOL

Allison: It IS great how close together everything is in Europe.

River: By all means! I'll leave a comment on his blog to make sure he sees it.

Ms. Moon said...

"Tailor of Taste." How can you not love that?