Sunday, July 26, 2026

A Sunny Heath Day


Yesterday was mostly quite joyful, if a little sweaty. I spent the morning trimming the shrubbery around our patio. The bushes need to be knocked back every month or two in summer or they'll swallow the patio like the Yucatan jungle swallows Mayan ruins.

Then I went for a walk on Hampstead Heath, taking my new AirPods so I could catch up on my podcast episodes along the way. The fireweed is mostly spent by this time of the year (above).


And the pond on Sandy Heath is once again paved with green duckweed.

I walked a route that I often walked with Olga, and although I missed her as I always do when I walk on the Heath, this time I could also look forward to having another dog to bring with me. Dave and I have applied for one through the animal rescue organization where we got Olga all those years ago -- we'll see if we get her. We're waiting to hear back.


One of the best things about walking like this is just letting my mind wander. My dad used to call it "cycling his mind," and he'd do it sitting at the breakfast bar in his house, often with the television on. I prefer to cycle my mind while on my feet.

I walked all the way up to the northern part of Hampstead Heath Extension, and then back through Golders Hill Park, where I stopped for a quick coffee. The park was bustling, especially the line for ice cream.


This has been a banner year for Jersey tiger moths. I've seen several of them, including three just yesterday. One was in our house, and another was lying on a path on the Heath with damaged wings. I lifted it up onto some ivy but sadly, although its body appeared fine, it will probably die. I wonder what happened to it? Bird? Dog?

I captured the one in our house and set it free outside.


The pigeons are roosting in this willow in the middle of the pond at Golders Hill Park. I guess it's an ideal spot for birds, surrounded by a moat and thus safe from predators. I like the way that bird at top left was zooming in for a landing just as I snapped the picture.

I came home and put on some music while Dave made pasta and meatballs in the kitchen. He used a bag of pasta he brought back from Amalfi, a brand recommended by our guide as authentic. It tasted pretty much like most pasta, we thought, but that doesn't mean it wasn't good.

Anyway, while he was cooking, some songs by Bobbie Gentry came across my iTunes, and I wondered what had ever become of her. Turns out she's now 83 years old and retired, and good for her. Most people know her from "Ode to Billie Joe," her gothic song about mysterious events on the Tallahatchie Bridge, which made her a star in the late '60s and was even turned into a movie starring Robby Benson. But she actually wrote a lot of excellent songs.

While sipping my martini in the golden light of evening, I was struck by the beauty of this song (once past the weird violin opening). Give it a listen. Maybe it will strike you too. And if so, you can follow it up with this one and this one.

16 comments:

  1. I loved her duet with Glen Campbell, All I have to do is dream, it was played at home as a teenager the whole of the summer in 1968..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your retirement is so lovely. I envy you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The butterfly is beautiful, as is the splendid willow tree, which are a pest plant species here.
    So you know what your perhaps dog looks like? This is exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely walk on Hampstead Heath and Golders Hill Park.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did as you suggested and listened to "this song" and I was indeed captivated. What a lovely voice Bobbie Gentry had and of course one always admires singers who can craft their own songs rather than always borrowing songs written by others. And as there's a new dog round the corner... why not call her Bobbie?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the willow tree. We had several in our yard where we lived when I was a kid and they are such beautiful trees.
    I've always liked Bobbie Gentry's voice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We brought some pasta back from Greece too and were a bit dismayed that it tasted just like our pasta we buy back home. I guess they have the pasta recipe pretty dialed in after all these years. The sauce on the other hand is a totally different story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The imported pasta I get from Misfits does taste a bit different from the supermarket stuff, but not enough to get excited about.
    That was a good day. I think you're planning future dog walks! No need for a dog walker now you're retired though. The new dog will never be lonely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Top Shelf Post , Totally Righteous Day , Dig The Tunes , Miss The Queen Olga Girl For Sure , And Beyond Stoked That There Just Might Be Puppy Paws Tap Dancing Throughout The Home Once Again

    Sending Positive Vibes ,
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  10. A perfect summer outing, with lots to think about. I hope you hear soon from the dog people.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Best of luck with the dog adoption! Soon you will have a walking partner...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't imagine any agency turning you and Dave down for a dog adoption. I am so excited about this.
    I'm pretty sure I had never heard Bobby Gentry sing another song other than "Ode to Billie Joe," but damn. Her voice is quite special, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I imagine pasta tastes pretty much like all pasta even if it is 'authentic'. What, I wonder, makes it authentic, it's pretty much just flour and water or flour and eggs.

    I look forward to future walks on the Heath with the new dog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are one step closer to having another dog. Now that is exciting.
    Walking the city streets, back roads, parks and sidewalks together will be great.
    You have lots of love for a new pup and the girl will be lucky to have you and Dave care for her.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for taking care of the moth on the heath. I look forward to the day I see your first post with your new family member and pictures of your first walk. Your dinner with Dave sounds lovely -- martini in evening light, pasta from your travels. Sounds pretty lovely to me.

    ReplyDelete