Sunday, July 5, 2026
Homebody and Pigeon Undertaker
The New York Times ran an article yesterday headlined, "In Britain, July 4 is Mostly Just a Saturday." It said that while some cultural institutions like museums made brief mentions of the Fourth of July and the King issued a statement, British people basically just went about their business.
I thought, do we really need to tell readers that the United Kingdom doesn't celebrate America's independence from...the United Kingdom? I mean, British people don't take it personally or anything, but why would there be a celebration? It seemed a strange and unnecessary article to write.
We totally ignored the Fourth of July here. As I said in a comment on Bob's blog, when America gives me something to celebrate, I'll celebrate.
It was also the day of the LGBTQ+ Pride parade in London, which I've gone to many times in years past, but this year I just couldn't muster the enthusiasm. I think taking that long walk on Friday -- and the fact that we're leaving tomorrow for two weeks in the Mediterranean -- made me want to just stay home. So I did.
I finished "Juice," which I greatly enjoyed. I don't think I'm even going to take a book with me on the cruise. I have such a backlog of magazines that I'm just going to bring them -- nine New Yorkers and my Royal Photographic Society magazine. Maybe I'll stick a small paperback in my suitcase just in case, by some miracle, I get through all of those.
As you can see in the top photo, our lilies are blooming. I've always called these Stargazer lilies but the other day, out of the blue, Dave called them "chandelier" lilies, and they do point downward -- so maybe that's what they are. When I Google "chandelier lilies" I just get pictures of floral lighting fixtures, so I'm not sure.
Anyway, the lily beetles have gnawed holes in some of the blossoms but they still look nice. The one in the top photo looks positively virile. Above is a Cosmos with the afternoon sun illuminating its petals.
I hope all these plants survive our absence. Any little bit of rain would help but there's none in the forecast.
In other garden happenings, I found a dead pigeon on the lawn about two days ago. It had clearly been attacked and killed by something. Coming just a few days after I found the remains of a young starling, it's more evidence that a hunter is in our midst -- whether feline or vulpine I do not know. I buried it in the "wildlife zone" by the back garden wall.
Our rat-deterring peppermint oil pellets arrived yesterday, too. The package takes great pains to explain these are mostly for "freshening" rodent-invaded spaces -- I suppose so we don't complain if they don't successfully drive away the rodents -- but it says they do disrupt scent trails and make the rats uncomfortable. I showered them all over the garden by the handful, particularly near the house, and now it smells like candy canes out there. We don't have a full-on invasion so I'm hopeful they'll be effective.
I picked my first handful of blackberries from our vines yesterday morning. Blackberry season -- just in time for us to leave! Oh well. Hopefully the birds will enjoy them. (Especially now that we've taken down the feeders.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



You've captured that lily beautifully.
ReplyDeleteBlackberries already! I know that yours will ripen first...but around the bottom of my garden they are just flowers!!
Rats tend to have regular runs ...hence the phrase Rat Run for a commuters' short cut? usually along the foot of a wall. Hope the minty deterrant works
I have my doubts about the mint but combined with a new lack of food it might be enough to drive them somewhere else.
DeleteHave a good cruise, the photographer has captured the flower photos beautifully.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Thelma!
DeleteWhen you google for Chandelier lilies you have to put the words plant or flower in there as well. I don't see you reading nine New Yorkers while you are sight seeing in the Mediterranean, when you don't even get them read while you are home. Leave them home and have space for souvenirs.
ReplyDeleteI think I Googled "chandelier lilies gardening" and I did see some plants, but none that look like ours. We have a couple of days entirely at sea, so I might get reading done then.
DeleteAn American living here in Córdoba actually complained online last week that there were no official celebrations here for American Independence Day. I wonder how many Spain National Day celebrations she attended in the USA. Remember those? There really is a chandelier lily. It looks like one of the chandelier photos you found but in red. That cosmos photo is incredible.
ReplyDeleteYeah, exactly! What about Bastille Day? Why doesn't America celebrate THAT?!
DeleteA minty-fresh garden - it sounds delightful.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your holiday
It's not too terrible. The scent is actually quite faint and pleasant.
DeleteI haven't heard anything about London's Pride parade this year.
ReplyDeleteIt is very curious that some US folk expect celebrations elsewhere in the world. We were in Vietnam with five people in our compartment, two of who were from the US, and they planned a little party for us all to celebrate July 4th. Wine and nibbles were bought, but it was so hot, all we could is lie down and sweat. In retrospect, it is a little ironic to try to celebrate 4th of July in Vietnam by westerners who fought against Vietnam to prevent its independence.
Yeah, in Vietnam that IS ironic, though I imagine the troops stationed there at the time celebrated it too.
Delete"...two weeks in the Mediterranean"? Well, I hope you have both got wetsuits! Fortunately, the sea temperature at this time of year should be survivable but I must say that I would prefer to look out on the Mediterranean from coastal viewpoints. By the way, does America celebrate St George's Day - April 23rd?
ReplyDeleteYou're so literal, YP!
DeleteThere are worse things than a garden smelling like peppermints! I hope they work but I'm sorry you'll miss blackberry season.. I hope it's a long one and they are awaiting your return. Have a fabulous time in Italy. It sounds just wonderful!
ReplyDeleteHopefully the blackberries will still be happening when we get back. I feel like this happens to us every year.
DeleteI saw the same NYTimes article and thought it odd that it was even something to write about. Why WOULD British people make any notice about the 4th. It would be like us celebrating the birthday of the king.
ReplyDeleteExactly! I wondered what made an editor even suggest that story.
DeleteNYT running out of things to say. Are you on a cruise or in Italy? Or are you cruising around italy? I'm looking forward to your returning and getting a dog, me.
ReplyDeleteWe are cruising around Italy. (See subsequent post!)
DeleteI have been watering a neighbors plants (indoor plants) while he is away for a couple of weeks, and taking in his mail and packages. It has made travel easier to have good neighbors to watch over things while we are away. Safe travels, we look forward to hearing about your adventures.
ReplyDeleteYeah, it's invaluable to have friends or neighbors who can keep an eye on things. We really relied on them when we had a dog!
DeleteHope you have great weather for your cruise.
ReplyDeleteIt looks like it will be hot, as expected, but we'll have a/c on the ship!
DeleteThose blackberries look luscious. So does the lily.
ReplyDeleteI love the blackberries from our vines, but Dave thinks they're too tart.
DeleteOh, man. I can't believe you're going to go cruise the Mediterranean. Two weeks! I cannot wait to see the photos.
ReplyDeleteThose lilies look like they were photographed in a portrait studio.
I'm glad the lilies bloomed so well, considering the cursed lily beetles!
DeleteAt least England mentions the "why" of July 4th; many in this country cannot answer the question "What does Independence Day mean."
ReplyDeleteAre people really that clueless? That's astonishing. Where were they in elementary school?!
DeleteMint pellets for discouraging rats are new to me. A neighbor grew mint around the perimeter of her house to keep the ants away and I found the minty scent appealingly fresh.
ReplyDeleteStargazer lily is one of my favorites. The tall stalks and beautiful blooms are striking. Nice photo Steve.
Cruising the Mediterranean sounds really great. Enjoy!
I didn't realize mint works for ants too. Bonus!
DeleteWe had a major storm yesterday and I discovered what I'm pretty sure is a lesser grebe on the driveway this morning. I know I've seen them at the pond. I don't know if the storm had anything to do with its death, but I'm guessing it was probably two dogs who shall remain unnamed. 😒
ReplyDeleteWere there teethmarks? Dead giveaway! :)
DeleteHave a great holiday!
ReplyDeleteThe dead birds could also be the result of a bird of prey attacking them.
True -- I have even seen a hawk kill a small bird in our garden, so it does happen.
DeleteEnjoy your cruise, leave the magazines at home, and just enjoy the trip! Geez! The magazines will still be there when you get back!
ReplyDeleteMaybe your housesitter will enjoy the blackberries! Leave him a note!
Actually, though, this is the perfect opportunity to read the mags. We have a couple of days entirely at sea and we'll need something to do!
DeleteThat picture of the lily is outstanding!
ReplyDeleteThanks! I always find them hard to shoot through the surrounding foliage and because of the downward angle of the flower.
DeleteIt IS weird that people don't realize that other countries don't celebrate the 4th--or Thanksgiving for that matter. I'm embarrassed about the ignorance of some (too many?) of my fellow citizens. Hope your trip is excellent! You're a month ahead of us on blackberries.
ReplyDeleteSo many Americans think America is the world.
DeleteI hadn't even realised it was July 4th, ha ha. But I agree, why would we celebrate something we lost. Beautiful flower photos.
ReplyDeleteThe Fourth of July actually has a tinge of sadness for me now. Hopefully we'll get back to being able to truly celebrate.
DeleteTwo weeks on the Mediteranian sounds great.
ReplyDeleteWe're looking forward to it!
DeleteEnjoy your holiday cruise in the Mediterranean.
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan
Thanks, Jan!
DeleteI ate blackberries this morning! This couple at church brought those, watermelon, & blueberries today & then we stood around eating them after the service. Yum! I hope you have a great time on your trip.
ReplyDeleteThat's a nice, healthy post-church snack!
DeleteI had to forego my sour cherry crop this year as well due to my trip. I'll survive... I think.
ReplyDeleteOh yeah, you mentioned that. Were any remaining by the time you got back?
DeleteI, along with lots of other people, find it amazing that Americans expect people of other nations to celebrate their days. Do they celebrate any of ours, do we complain that they don't?
ReplyDeleteIt is astonishing, I agree. I think they don't give it much thought, to be honest.
Delete