Monday, August 17, 2026
The Dry, Dry Garden
Spotted on my walk with Bailey yesterday up to Child's Hill Park. I'm glad someone is still thinking about Ukraine (aside from the ever-conscientious Boud). It sometimes seems like that whole conflict has been lost amid the insanity of the Trump administration and the world's other wild vacillations.
We had a good walk, although I could not get Bailey interested in chasing her tennis ball. She'll do it at home, but often when we're out at a park she'd rather smell the smells and explore the new territory. I briefly put her on the long lead to no apparent benefit, before switching back to the short one.
On the way home, Bailey took a moment to watch a Cricket game on the playing fields near the cemetery. She must wonder what's going on out there. The sign on her lead says, "No Dogs -- I Like People." I got it from Amazon at the suggestion of the shelter, but I've debated whether to continue using it. I think most people miss the second part and assume she's just a savage ravening terror. Besides, I steer her around other dogs long before their owners get close enough to benefit from reading it.
Here's what our dry, dry garden looks like. I really think we've lost that buddleia at right, which is a shame. And our wallflower, which is barely visible lower right, is dead as a doornail. I went back to look at pictures of the August garden in recent years and even in dry ones it's never looked this bad. Here it is in 2025, 2024 (so green!), 2023 (CRAZY green!), 2022 (also very green) and 2021 (look at the buddleia then, at right behind the yellow Inulas).
I know I keep moaning about this drought but it feels oppressive. Everything seems dusty and exhausted. I swear I haven't seen a snail all year, and normally I'd celebrate that fact, but it just seems wrong.
Dave is off to school this morning for his first day of work. There are meetings and I AM SO GLAD I'M NOT GOING!
Instead, think I'll get my ears pierced -- seriously. I've always wanted both ears pierced, and if not now, when? I used to have my left ear pierced (twice!) but I haven't worn earrings in at least 25 years so those holes have long since closed. I'm pretty much starting fresh.
Today's Jarmanism, written after gossiping with his friends about figures in the London gay community: "Leigh Bowery -- much loved, and it just goes to show, if you wear silly clothes round Soho for long enough you'll get to be famous."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Having fake grass has kept our garden looking good, and unlike comments often made, the children have played on ours all summer, with the right foundations it does not get too hot. As for the plants, its a case of waiting to see what returns next year.
ReplyDeleteThe gardens around my neighbourhood look very much like yours, Steve.
ReplyDeleteWe're supposed to get a bit of rain this week, starting around lunch time today, but we'll see how much it's actually going to be - what we really need is a fortnight of constant, gentle rain, and that's not to be expected anytime soon.
I can imagine how glad you are that you're not returning to work this week (or ever)!
Any ideas what you'll want to wear on your earlobes? Studs? Small creoles? Pearls or something sparkly? The same on both sides? I don't feel "complete" without earrings, similar to many women who feel "naked" without make-up (which I don't use except for a dash of lipstick every now and then).
PS: I meant to comment on the lack of news about the Ukraine. Here in Germany, it still features regularly, almost nightly, on our main new on state TV. Last night, for instance, it was said that the Ukraine have been attacking Moscow with the largest number of drones in a single attack so far.
DeleteMy ear piercings closed up many years ago and I miss wearing earrings, especially since I had all my hair copped short. Clip ons are too painful. I must see if I can find somewhere here that does piercings.
ReplyDeleteI know you are being very careful with Bailey and dogs. My brother's dog called Dog and she's a larger and taller dog similar to Bailey. She is white and absolutely deaf. My brother was unloading his car in his driveway with Dog nearby with a leash on by not tied. She ran out to boisterously greet a small dog being walked by a couple on the footpath. One of Dog's claws broke the small dogs skin. A large vet bill ensued, mostly for xrays, then an appearance before a magistrate, a solicitor, court costs, and a fine. Total cost about AU$3,000.
ReplyDeleteI can certainly see what you mean about the garden.
Do you fancy some drop diamonds for your ears? Phyllis has so many pairs of earrings, all cheap and most quite flashy.
I meant to also say, Bowery must have been quite a character in that ever so English manner.
DeleteGreetings from Finland 🇫🇮 What a nice blog you have. I like dogs, and people.
ReplyDeleteI write my blog in Finnish, but there's a google translator there.
Have a pleasant day ☘️
Rita, language teacher, Helsinki 🙂 I speak English.
Wow. I’ve never seen your garden look like that in any photos. Such a shame. Yay for the ear piercing!
ReplyDeleteI guess we are all different but I must say that I would never have a tattoo, eat pickled locusts, jump from an aeroplane, sleep with a Tory or have my ears pierced. It takes all sorts as they say.
ReplyDeleteBailey is a charmer!
ReplyDeleteIf you cut back the buddleia later in the autumn, it will most likely come back next year.
Apart from the lawn your garden looks very well compared to our desert.
Revel in your first full day of realisation that you no longer have to go to work - no better feeling.
ReplyDelete