Thursday, September 10, 2026

Out and About in Chelsea

2J2A0406

Blogger is on the fritz again today. It seems many people are unable to load photos, given what I'm seeing in the community forums. I couldn't load them myself in the usual way, so I'm uploading them to Flickr and then embedding them here, which seems to be working. Hopefully you all can see them too.

Blogger seems creakier and creakier these days! Or maybe we're just having a run of bad luck.

I was out and about in Chelsea yesterday, which is why I was largely absent from the blogosphere. I met up with my friend Sally for lunch and a visit to the Saatchi Gallery, where the Royal Photographic Society mounted its International Photography Exhibition. The show is just about to end, so I wanted to be sure to see it this week.

Before my rendezvous with Sally in Sloane Square, I wandered from Victoria through Chelsea taking pictures. It was my first real photo walk with the new camera, and it felt good to experiment with that. Above are the rail yards leading to Victoria Station with Battersea Power Station (actually on the other side of the Thames, invisible from this perspective) in the background.

2J2A0436

It was a bright, sunny morning, perfect for good shadows and colors. I inadvertently had my camera set to take JPGs rather than RAW images, and I much prefer RAW, which are higher resolution, so I need to change that. This camera seems quite fiddly with all of its controls -- it's really easy to hit a button and change something without meaning to, in the process of taking it in and out of the bag, for example. There's a "lock" function to prevent that and I need to use it more.

Anyway, all this will become clearer the more pictures I take.

2J2A0450

The exhibit was interesting. My only complaint is that some of the photos on display are clearly part of a series, but the series itself wasn't shown -- so we were seeing just part of the whole. I guess that's always a challenge with gallery shows, where wall space is limited.

We had lunch at Ottolenghi, and then coffee at a cafe on nearby Duke of York Square. The guy above was painting en plein air in Sloane Square.

2J2A0478

I was worried how Bailey would cope with my absence all day, but when I got home the house wasn't demolished. She was very excited to see me when I came in the door. But I was greeted with a bizarre mystery -- there was a dead bird, a little blue tit, on the floor of our bedroom! I can only imagine that it flew into the house through one of the windows, which we leave cracked open for ventilation, and then Bailey killed it. It's just bad luck that it came inside on a day when I wasn't home to free it right away. We haven't had a bird in the house in years so this was truly a freak thing, unless Bailey somehow drew it inside with her supernatural powers. Is she a canine Lorelei, luring not fishermen but birds to their death?

In the evening I called my stepmother's bank and pleaded my case regarding their most recent demands. To my surprise, the woman on the phone agreed with me that the date of the apostilles is not an issue. She suggested that the "business office" was having trouble keeping track of all the relevant documents because of the way they'd been scanned as a single batch by the notary, and she suggested re-scanning them into individual packets, one for each account. So I did that -- even though I had to buy a fancier version of Adobe Acrobat to make it work -- and I resubmitted everything. Fingers crossed this puts an end to their shenanigans, but I'm not holding my breath.

Bailey is getting spayed today, assuming her false pregnancy has subsided. We shall see.

15 comments:

  1. Blogspot! I’ve been going through blogs one by one to see if there are recent posts. The Reader hasn’t updated. Thinking of Bailey today. If you lived on the sea, Bailey might be luring fisherman. Great photos and I love the painting the guy’s working on. Fingers crossed for you and the banking issues. It’s enough to make you lose your hair, isn’t it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the bank. Perhaps they need more intelligent staff?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope all goes well with Bailey, and that she will be pleased to see you when you collect her afterwards. My normally clingy little fella totally ignored me last week, when I picked him up after a day with the vet ( teeth cleaning)

    ReplyDelete
  4. SPELLING ALERT! SPELLING ALERT! It's Sloane with an "e", not without. You are hereby instructed to attend H.M.Spelling Courts of Justice in Rotherhithe next Tuesday at 10am. You are advised to bring a plain bag containing essential items and fresh underwear in case of detention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct! Thanks for that -- everybody needs an editor. I've fixed it now.

      Delete
    2. It's too late. Like a shoplifter returning goods to a supermarket after he has been rugby tackled on Hampstead Heath by a burly police officer. I am afraid it doesn't work like that.

      Delete
  5. Hope all is well for Bailey, my blogger reading list has not updated for over 24 hours, but I can comment again, no issues with photo's here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spaying, Bailey will think it is punishment for killing the little bird. Which could have died from fright. It is always sad to hold these small brightly coloured birds after they have smashed into a window.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, Blogger is now picking on our photo loading capabilities. As I post from my laptop, I am doing good old fashioned copy and pasting. They will not beat us. :-)

    Your photos are beautiful crisp and clear, it's a good camera for sure. I hope everything goes well for your gorgeous girl, she certainly won't be chasing Blue Tits around the room tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You do find such interesting things to photograph - a whole different world to the fields of Suffolk.
    Photos uploading from phone via google no problem, haven't tried camera but the lack of updating on reading lists is getting worse.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I was doing my post for today I couldn't load the photos, but I could "drag and drop" them from my files into the post. Tedious, but it worked.
    I hope this and last week's comment kerfuffle are not a precursor of things to come.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just when my blog feed was getting back to normal, I don't think it has updated in the last two days so now I'm back to clicking everyone's blog just to check in and see if they wrote something. I don't have to check with you though Steve, I KNOW you have written something.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm realizing how much I rely on the blogger reading list and when it doesn't update, how many people I need to find manually. I've been copy and pasting photos in my current post, which is sort of a holding zone till we can figure things out -- or rather, Google can. Compared to your banking problems, blogger issues are definitely small potatoes. Sending good wishes to you and Bailey today. I hope things can go as planned. That's certainly odd about the bird.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I once had a friend called Elsie, and she lived in some sordid rooms in Chelsea. She wasn't an innocent and knew how to make money to survive.
    Time adjustments are difficult. It is almost Friday here, 23.18 Thursday.
    Apparently your Bailey can survive without your constant presence. That is a really good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a great day out, I need one of those.

    ReplyDelete