
Here's my obligatory photo of Phoebe, the flamingo sculpture at the heart of the Tampa airport. I didn't try very hard with that picture -- I was sitting down and literally just turned around and snapped. But then I thought I should give it a bit more effort, so I got this:
That black smudge reflected in the silvery ceiling is me.
I was at the airport well ahead of time, to turn in my rental car -- always a relief -- and to have a leisurely coffee after navigating security. When I got to the gate I was surprised to see some of the Tampa gate agents set up a table complete with balloons and cake. That was followed by an announcement recognizing the 41-year relationship between the Gatwick flight crews and Tampa airport staff. I asked around, and it turns out that British Airways is ending its direct flights to Tampa from Gatwick on the 24th, and the following day they will move to Heathrow (which apparently involves staffing them with a different crew, for reasons I don't understand). I take these Gatwick flights all the time, but I can't say I'm sorry about the change -- Heathrow would be more convenient for me.
Apparently the Tampa airport is hosting several events like this one to say goodbye to all the Gatwick crews. Once they'd all had their cake, the passengers were offered slices too -- so I got some free cake. It wasn't bad, though it had that commercial frosting that can be a little cloying. (Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, right?)
The flight itself was uneventful. I watched "Against All Odds," which I happened to have downloaded on my computer, and plowed through a couple of New Yorkers. It was the emptiest flight I've ever taken from Tampa, I think. I got to stretch out across four seats for some shut-eye.
Oh, before I left Tampa, I went to Shelly's diner down the street from my stepsister's, where I found this car in the parking lot. I can only think of one person fitting that description. (The side windows said, incongruously, "Go Knicks.")
And Dave sent me this picture of Bailey, which cracks me up. When I got home this morning she wasn't yet back from her walk, and when the walker dropped her off about 15 minutes later she was out of her mind with excitement. She tackled me like a linebacker. I felt very appreciated!
The Murano glass owl vase that I bought in Avon Park made the journey safely and is now on the windowsill in our dining room.
I'm going to do my best to stay awake all day, but we'll see!





Black Smudge sounds like a new comic superhero or more likely an anti-hero. Thanks for taking us on your Florida trip. Glad you made it home safe again Steeeeeve!
ReplyDeleteI have owl vase envy.
ReplyDelete