Wednesday, July 15, 2026

I'm Ready for Dry Land


Dave and I were sitting in a lounge just off this foyer yesterday evening when I said to him, "I haven't taken a single picture today." As you know, that's pretty unheard of for me. But given that yesterday was another entire day at sea, I just didn't see much worth photographing. Fortunately I'd already taken the picture above on Monday evening, so I wasn't concerned about having something to blog!

Then I took the camera out on the balcony of our cabin after dinner, and took pictures of the unremarkable sunset:


That's roughly in the area of Siderno, on the southern side of Italy's boot. Now we're at port in Messina, and Dave and I will be back on dry land in an hour or two, ready for some walking and exploring.

Not that I didn't get any exercise yesterday. I was back on the treadmill in the gym, and I used the weights too -- another thing I haven't done in about 15 years! It felt good, though.

And I polished off another New Yorker, this one including a page-turner of an article about the Tate brothers. As appalling as it was, it made for really good reading. I think those guys (particularly Andrew) are narcissistic personalities at best, and psychopaths at worst. There's literally nothing redeeming there. It's terrifying that young men think he's a role model, though I hope he simply embodies their rebellious teenage instincts and they eventually grow to realize he's a charlatan.

Dave, meanwhile, took a tour of the ship, learning about all the backstairs operations, peeking into the kitchen and taking a look at the bridge. He's big on boats and boating, so this was fascinating for him. I have some idle curiosity about it all but I figured I didn't need to pay to attend myself. I just let him tell me about it!

42 comments:

  1. I would have found the ship tour interesting.
    I remember the trip from Montenegro to the port near Rome and the day at sea, and I was bored. It is rare that I can't entertain myself by reading or whatever, but I could not focus.
    The Tate brothers are Australian I think, but isn't Andrew at least, locked up in the East European country of his birth? I should really check. They are shockers, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't find the days at sea boring, but I do miss seeing something new. The Tates are actually American by birth, but they grew up in England.

      Delete
  2. The chandelier in the foyer is interesting in a creepy sort of way. It looks like an orgy of snakes or octopuses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure I'd want to sit on that seat with all the snakes dangling above!
    I'm glad Dave is feeling better so you can have some adventures ashore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, and who knows how much that thing weighs?!

      Delete
  4. Every sunset, every sunrise, is remarkable in that it happens, and we are here to observe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that is true. I only meant it was "unremarkable" in a relative sense. There weren't the impressive clouds we had in Dubrovnik, for example.

      Delete
  5. That looks like Chihuly glass in that first photo. Gorgeous room and view.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being out to sea is not for everyone. I know because my husband loves blue water sailing and I like sailing but also want a destination ashore. It does sound like you are ready to go exploring ashore.
    Your first photo provides nice views of the calm sea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Imagine crossing an entire ocean on a ship, as our ancestors did! They spent lots of time at sea.

      Delete
  7. A tour of the ship is fun. That view is pretty wonderful. I’m assuming that’s Chihuly glass. Do you know? Too bad about the less than exciting sunset.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know for sure that it's Chihuly but it's certainly his style.

      Delete
  8. Somehow I have made it thus far without hearing the name of Andrew Tate. After reading the introduction paragraph on Wikipedia, I think I'm okay with going the rest of my life without knowing anything more about him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The scary thing is, a lot of young men look up to him. He is an influencer in the worst sense.

      Delete
  9. That glass hanging reminds me a bit of the aqua (and other colors) one that hangs in the main entrance area of the V&A in London. Hope you find today a bit more interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been to the V&A several times but I don't remember that glass at the entrance. I'll have to go back!

      Delete
    2. It's a Chihuly. https://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O301268/va-chandelier-chandelier-dale-chihuly/

      Delete
  10. That looks like a Chihuly chandelier in the lounge. Those things aren't cheap.

    Those cruise ships tout all the activities to keep you entertained and busy at sea. Doesn't seem to be working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how I missed the two previous posts but now I've caught up.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I think it's a Chihuly but I'm not sure. I wasn't really bored at sea, not at all, but I was still eager to get to dry land! They did have tons of games and activities but we didn't partake, so that's on us.

      Delete
  11. There are many things to do on a cruise ship. Your so busy you didn't take photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are certainly plenty of activities! Too many to keep track of, almost!

      Delete
  12. That first photograph is lovely.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks a bit like a Chihuly chandelier in your top photo. I hope you are enjoying today's land excursion. There is lots to see in that part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Italy has no shortage of worthwhile sights!

      Delete
  14. John would have been with Dave, and I would have stayed with you. As long as something works, I don't need to know how--whereas John is fascinated by that. Never having cruised, I'd love photos of the spots on the cruise ship. What does the gym look like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm not really into all the mechanics behind the scenes. Dave is fascinated by things like bow thrusters and propellers and whatnot, and I couldn't care less. LOL

      The gym is pretty nice! Treadmills, workout machines, dumbbells and a large floor for yoga or stretching. I'll try to take some pictures around the ship on our next day at sea.

      Delete
  15. Funny that a day at sea was dull. I think I'd have joined Dave exploring the ship, poking about behind the scenes if possible. And staying away from the chihuly, God I hate chihuly. Not that I have any strong feelings about hyper hued and contorted glass, nope, not me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I wouldn't say dull. It's just a little weird having a day with no destination. I have explored this ship end to end, believe me! (And there is a lot to see and do. We are not lacking for potential entertainment.)

      Delete
  16. I started to read that article about the Tate brothers but just couldn't get through it. Awful people.
    I love the sunset photo. Reminds me of my Dad - my parents visited Boca Grande, Florida often and he had tons of photos of the beautiful sunsets over the water!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are awful people, and that's not something I say lightly! I spent some time in Boca Grande myself. In fact I blogged from there once or twice, many years ago!

      Delete
  17. I don't know that I'd call that an unremarkable sunset. I love most all sunrises and sunsets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL -- people are taking me to task for this! I just meant, as sunsets go, it had few distinguishing features.

      Delete
  18. I'm glad Dave got to the kitchen! Yes, I can see why you're ready for dry land. I like the Chihuly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's colorful, anyway! Yeah, Dave was most excited about the kitchen, as you can imagine. :)

      Delete
  19. You have been lifting weights? Hell - I can't imagine you with bulging biceps like Bluto in "Popeye the Sailorman".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was quite buff back in the day, but alas, age caught up with me. LOL

      Delete
  20. The sunset is quite nice. I like the Chihuly ceiling fixture.

    ReplyDelete