Wednesday, August 26, 2026

A Weird Rose


This is my favorite view of The Alliance, a pub not too far from us, seen across Mill Lane from Gondar Gardens. You'll notice that the windows are covered with sheet metal. That's because once again, The Alliance is under threat from developers. This seems to happen every few years to a pub that has been officially branded an Asset of Community Value (ACV). It closed in June and was briefly occupied by squatters before being secured against further intrusion.


Who knows what will happen next. I don't think the building is under threat -- it already contains several flats -- just the pub itself. I've only been there a handful of times, but I enjoyed it when I went and I hope it can be saved.


Here's an odd garden anomaly. This rose grew up from the base of the plant, on a thick stem about ten inches high, and promptly bloomed! (The bush above it still seems healthy.) I was surprised to see a flower form on a stalk so low to the ground. I wonder if this is some kind of drought response. Maybe if there'd been water that new stalk would have been much taller.

I took Bailey out for a walk to the cemetery yesterday. While we were walking I got a call from the dog charity where we adopted her -- they've set up an appointment for Bailey to be spayed tomorrow. No time like the present! The poor girl has a rude awakening coming, but after that she may be even calmer. Fortunately the vet doing the procedure is right around the corner -- not far from The Alliance, actually -- so getting there won't be difficult. I'll be curious to see how she does at the vet's, given how reactive to other dogs she can be.


She is not going to be happy about this.

I was so sorry to read about Dolly Parton. She was truly a uniter and a good-hearted person, and we needed her to live forever.

26 comments:

  1. Good luck for Bailey's op. Do you pay for that or is it covered by the charity you got her from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The charity covers it, but we pay an adoption fee which helps offset the cost.

      Delete
  2. Even with flats, which are needed.. And a vain hope that they won't be too unaffordable.. A community needs focal points.

    The rose is interesting. Springing from lower down you'd usually assume that is coming from below the graft... If it is grafted... it is lovely.

    Bailey... I wonder if she has had bad experiences with other dogs because she is not spayed?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the same thought about Dolly Parton: Here’s someone who should be around forever.

    Too bad the Alliance isn’t still serving. Will be thinking of you and Bailey tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder what Dolly privately thought of the orange blob in The White House. Her kindness, genuine love of people and her generous charitable donations suggest to me that she was probably a Democrat though of course when it came to politics she sensibly kept her cards close to her ample chest.

    Poor Bailey! What if human parents took their unwary daughters to sterilisation clinics to be spayed?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's handy that the vets is so close for you. I hope Bailey does well after her spaying, it's an important thing to do for her. It was a shock to hear about Dolly Parton, she was one of a kind, a very special kind. 🌹

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perhaps after her procedure, Bailey will be friendlier towards other canines and hope all goes well for both of you. The rose is a lovely survivor. Dolly Parton was a treasure for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope Bailey is ok with vet and procedure. I wish Dolly could have lived forever one of life's greats. Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes I had been meaning to ask you how you got Bailey.
    Interesting to read about her 💛 Hoping everything goes well.

    The rose - how wonderful 🌹 Like a gift to nice people who love gardens.

    What an extraordinary building. I looked to see what the pub looked like, in the link you put here. What will the future hold for that watering hole? 😛

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope they save it, too, it's a beautiful building.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We needed her to be around forever.
    Simple and true.
    Good luck to Bailey!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That rose is lovely! And yes, I was pretty sad to hear about Dolly :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Isn't it a flowering stem from the root stock rather than the main rose plant itself? Cut it off back to main stem.
    The Alliance is a very nice building.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Giver her lots of love and positive vibes, she can read your apprehension.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I suppose Asset of Community Value is similar to our Historic Building designation? It is a very beautiful building.

    I hope Bailey does well tomorrow. I've never had a dog go through it but have seen a few cats and it is a fairly big surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Alliance was once a beautiful building. It is sad to see it go into disrepair.
    Spay done laparoscopically is a much less invasive procedure and the healing process is faster. This seems to be the latest in spay procedures.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope the surgery goes smoothly.
    I think Dolly was so great and such a good person.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The news of Dolly hit me as hard as the death of Princess Diana did! I just heard she had a short battle with cancer! She was/is so loved! 🥹💔
    Bailey will sail through the surgery ... you'll have to keep her activity low key for a day or so!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm surprised Bailey wasn't already spayed when you got her. I wonder why The Alliance closed. Seems like it would have been doing good business.

    I was thinking about Dolly last night. She was 80. That's only 4 years older than me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. If anyone were to be allowed to live forever, it would have been Dolly Parton. 😢😢
    Like Ellen, I am surprised Bailey was adopted out without first being spayed. In Australia all pets are spayed, neutered before being put up for adoption form the shelters. Apparently it is the law here.
    Is that rose growing from below the graft? If so it is a water shoot and should be removed, though it is pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good luck to Bailey. She'll recover quicker than you will.😉

    ReplyDelete
  21. That was sad news about Dolly Parton. She was an American icon and wonderful person.
    Good luck to Bailey. I'm sure she'll come through with flying colors.
    I like your surprise rose.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I was so sad about Dolly. For some reason, I expected her to live a lot longer although I knew she was having some health issues. Now they're saying a quick cancer was the cause of death. I hope Bailey's surgery goes well! That's a beautiful building; there are so many historic ones there.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I prefer girl dogs, but boy neuters are so much easier than spays. It'll be nice to have that behind you.
    I thought Dolly was wonderful. She was a genuinely kind person who practiced what she preached. My youngest grandson was a "graduate" of her Imagination Library program.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's going to be interesting keeping her from leaping and running after the surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I never thought of Dolly Parton dying. She was a smart, strong, talented woman who lived her life how she thought was best. I admired her very much.

    ReplyDelete