Thursday, August 27, 2026

Balloon Bailey and RAIN!


I awoke to rain this morning -- not hard rain, but not a mist either. A drizzle, I'd say. We have thunderstorm warnings for later this morning, with actual thunder, but I'll believe it when I see it. Of course this is also the morning I have to walk Bailey to the vet to be spayed. What are the odds that we'd have no rain for two months and then, on the morning I have to run an errand like this, a thunderstorm?!

Because she's going to be laid up for a while, recovering from her surgery, I took Bailey on a last outing to Hampstead Heath yesterday. We walked a long way and she even got a swim -- the beach that was closed last time was open again, so evidently the water testing didn't find anything nefarious. (And indeed she was fine afterwards.)

I was disturbed to see that old tree in the top photo with some dying branches. This heat wave and drought has been hard on trees, and indeed some historic specimens have perished as a result. I hope this one, a well-known hollow tree that looks (to me) something like an elephant, pulls through OK.


Here's Bailey in front of Kenwood House, in approximately the same location as The Kinks in my favorite photo of the band. Doesn't this photo look a little weird? There's something about the perspective that cracks me up. Bailey looks like a gigantic Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade balloon about to take flight over Kenwood House. In fact she already looks like she's floating!


As you can see, we had lots of clouds yesterday too, but no rain. Today's forecast, though, is a 100 PERCENT CHANCE of precipitation! Woo hoo! We can't lose!

Other than our walk, I did some minor work in the garden and around the house. It's funny how there are always things to do. I guess when I was working they just didn't get done. This is why retired people often have immaculate lawns and gardens -- not that ours is anything approaching immaculate.

I was sorry to hear about Tim Curry's death, coming so soon after Dolly Parton. It's been a tough week for the LGBTQ+ crowd, given that both of them are gay icons. I found it amusing that even on the right-wing news site I read -- it's good to understand the opposition -- people were lamenting Curry's death and waxing nostalgic about "The Rocky Horror Picture Show." You'd think self-professed conservatives, many of them religious, would all have hated it -- but no. Like Parton, Curry was a performer able to unite the masses.

Remember when Dave and I took Olga to the Rocky Horror castle for a stay? Hard to believe that was three years ago.


I forgot to embed this little video yesterday, which I took when I was sitting in the garden after washing the sheets. I strung up a clothesline by the back bench so I could hang them to dry. I sat behind the top sheet to read, and I liked watching it blow in the wind, dappled with shadows. It's a good thing I did that on Tuesday because outdoor drying is not happening today.


And here's Bailey snoozing in the sun, taken with the good camera.

Oh, some of you asked about her spaying and why the dog rescuers didn't take care of it before putting her up for adoption. The charity does pay for it -- though we pay an adoption fee that probably more than offsets the cost. They told us that Bailey's spaying was delayed because she was in heat and they had to wait for that to pass, but we also took Olga to be spayed when we adopted her years ago. I suspect the rescuers find it easier to have prospective adopters handle spaying and recovery, if possible.

28 comments:

  1. I hope by the time you read my comment that the long awaited rain has materialised, and that everything went well with your walk to the vet's and Bailey's spaying.
    We have those thunderstorms in the forecast for tomorrow. On the maps the weather people always show us it is moving our way, and then cooler temperatures will follow after today is going to be at around 32C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS: Immaculate gardens and lawns? Not something I'd ever aspire to. A bit of wilderness is much, much better for wildlife, and ultimately for humans :-)

      In the photo in front of Kenwood House Bailey does indeed look like she's floating! The way her paws are positioned and the "stripes" in the lawn work together.

      Delete
  2. Poor Bailey! Little did she know that that happy walk was the swansong of her bitch-hood.... and today her Stanley Tucci daddy will take her to see Josef Mengele at the sterilisation facility where countless unsuspecting bitches have been before her. It's a dog's life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judging by my " Rain Today" app, you are just about to get some decent rain which hopefully will continue north to us!
    I can also see the elephant in that tree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All our cats have always been 'done' even the males, I think it's better for them, hope she recovers quickly. we had a sprinkling of rain early this morning, the rest of the weather front had moved away from us, our ground is still very dry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much to enjoy here (except the thought of poor Bailey’s day). The video is hypnotic. You might be the next Andy Warhol. Bailey in front of Kenwood House does have an unreal quality and I love the Kinks connection. Fun to revisit Frank N. Furter's castle and Olga.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All the best for Bailey and her procedure.
    I can't remember how many times I've been to see the Rocky Horror Picture show and once the theatre version. It was a major cornerstone of my student years. And as my daughter reminded me today, I taught her to dance the Time Warp when she was a toddler.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck Bailey! That last picture of her is so sweet. She's a lucky girl to have a home with you and Dave.

    I, too, was sorry to hear about Tim Curry. What a week. First Dolly, now him. If it comes in threes, I wonder who's next?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Were these photos all taken with your new camera? I am impressed.
    The tree more resembles a dinosaur to me.
    The moving sheet is like a theatre curtain raising and falling, opening your garden view and then closing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I nearly typed Olga. The park photo with Bailey is just wonderful.

      Delete
    2. I nearly typed Olga, too, when I commented about the picture in front of Kenwood House.

      Delete
  9. Bailey DOES look like she's floating in that photo! Ha! And that last one of her is adorable. I hope everything goes well with her procedure and recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bailey does look like Giant Dog in front of that house!

    We got our first rain in a month yesterday; it poured for over an hour and really cooled things off and made everything fresh and green again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was surprised at how calming that sheet video was!
    Hope Bailey is doing fine and her procedure is all done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope things go well for you and the dog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Washing drying in the breeze is a wonderful sight and smells so lovely when dry.
    We had no thunder and lightning, but heavy rain fell this morning. How awful it must be for those poor souls in Nepal.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bailey does look out of proportion to Kenwood House but, what I'm really struck by is how brown the grass is. I hope you get enough rain to perk things up.
    Thanks for reminding me about Flickr. I'm going to check there for some of that metadata. Sometime about 4 years ago, I stopped uploading to Flickr. I still pay for it but I think I quit because I started using Apple iCloud.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Are you a Kinks fan? I've always loved them.
    Bailey will heal quickly, I think, and she won't miss her uterus. I guess. Who knows what doggos feel and think? We humans like to believe they aren't as aware of some things as we are. She's such a pretty baby.
    I would cry with joy if we got a good rain. It's just not happening. Lying liar of a weather widget.
    I love your sheets video. I, too, find those shadows on sheets in the breeze so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tell Bailey she will not having all those males hanging around her and she is destined for a puppy free life. And give her my best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bailey as balloon is such a cool photo- Helium pup. Her portrait with the "good "camera is perfectly beautiful- shiny girl- contented girl. Good that you took her for a long walk, she is going to be feeling shite for a couple of days at least. Major surgery! I know this fact- I got spayed some years ago and it did take a long time to heal, dogs are better at it than humans.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Did you take all these photos with your new camera? They're amazing, so much detail, one can fall right into them. Love the one of Bailey snoozing. I suspect her recovery from spaying will be much easier under your care than it would have been at the adoption place. Though I'm sure they would have taken care of her, it wouldn't have been the same.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hopefully you'll get the rain predicted and the moisture will help revive the landscape. I love your urban garden along with your cafe table set!
    Perfect lawns and gardens are not my priority as well. The lived-in rustic/woodland look works for me. To achieve a perfect lawn takes full-on dedication or a biweekly hired lawn service and monthly spraying (fertilizers and herbicides) as shown by my neighbors. All that spraying can't be healthy for anyone, so I avoid being outside on my property when spraying takes place and a day after.
    I'm thinking of you and Bailey on surgery day. She's in good hands and will come home to TLC for her recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It makes sense that the dog get spayed while with the owners, probably less stressful. I hope the storm holds off in full force till you return. Hey, I'm retired, and you will not find me with a perfect lawn. Not in my skill set. I appreciate, even envy them. But nope! And how nice to see Kenwood again. Tim Curry. Sigh. Such a talent. And to add to the third, Shelley Fabraes. Not that she's a biggie but still part of the childhood TV screens. (And later too, though I didn't watch those.) Dropping like flies. I can think of a couple I'd happily replace any of the three with. Bet you can too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Bailey does look like a floating giant in that photo! Does Ireland get the same weather as you do? Planning my jacket game. Not a downpour but more of a drizzle would mean that the water-resistant raincoat would be OK. Best wishes for the surgery and recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Bailey has such a big mouth and an even bigger tongue. Texas had a historic drought over a decade ago, I don't remember the year but the entire state was in the highest extreme drought level and half of it was on fire. We were still commuting then and would pass by Memorial Park on our way in, a heavily wooded park. Every week there were more dead trees. The state lost millions of trees. Hope you get that rain and wish we would soon. I'm tired of having to go out and water every day.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, that sweet, unsuspecting face in the bottom photo! I'm glad you took her for a swim since that will be off limits for awhile. I was quite sad about Tim Curry, too. I always associate him with RHPC and had forgotten how many other things he did.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It has been a sad week for celebrity passings and glad you also mentioned Tim Curry because we just recently re-watched Clue and he was such fun as Wadsworth the butler who when asked what he did, replied that he "buttled." And, Dolly Parton was an incredible human being beyond words with her sincerity, generosity and talent. Hope that all goes well with Bailey's appointment and also that you DO get some thunderstorms, after you are both back home.

    ReplyDelete