Tuesday, August 4, 2026
Long Lead Adventures on the Heath
Yesterday morning was about as sedate as possible around here. I did a little bit of light gardening -- watering and deadheading, that kind of thing -- and then sat on the garden bench and read my Thom Gunn biography. I think I may actually polish this book off in a day or two. As with so many books, it was slow going at first but I eventually got into the rhythm of the writing and the drama of Gunn's life and now it breezes along. (It gets much more interesting, in my opinion, in the 1960s, when Gunn moves to San Francisco and experiences the Summer of Love, the mind-expanding possibilities of LSD and the heyday of early gay liberation.)
This was the scene as I read -- parched grass, snoozing dog. (Her limp, by the way, vanished overnight. Whatever was going on apparently wasn't a big deal.)
After lunch I decided to be brave and take Bailey to Hampstead Heath. I wasn't sure how well this would work, given that I can't let her off her leash, but I thought I'd try. So I dug out the new 10-meter lead and off we went. (This leash, by the way, is not retractable. The woman who runs the rescue kennel where I got Bailey specifically told me to avoid retractable leashes -- she says they're not strong enough. That's why I've written about the challenge of using it without getting tangled up in it!)
And it worked out fine. I learned the hard way not to let her plunge into the brush in pursuit of a squirrel, because untangling the lead from the bushes can take a long minute, but if I keep her on the paths she's fine. She loves the walk and she's super-vigilant about the critters. (And on a summer weekday afternoon there weren't many other dogs around, which is a plus with Bailey.)
My real goal was to let her swim, and she plunged into the duckweed-laden pond on Sandy Heath with gusto. Unlike Olga, who used to just wade, Bailey is a full-body swimmer and even dives under to get her head wet. (There are no predators and duckweed will not hurt dogs. Blue-green algae is toxic, but I saw no sign of that in this pond, and indeed Bailey was fine after her swim.)
Afterwards, more walking. Bailey is like Olga in that she is a self-cleaning dog. By the time we got to the Hampstead Heath Extension, she was dry and back to her normal coloring. (She still got a bath when we got home!)
Here's a video for those of you who would like some Bailey action shots. Or inaction, as the case may be, as the first clip shows her dreaming in bed. Then you see a quick shot of a red admiral butterfly on our garden Buddleia, followed by the spectacle of Bailey in the pond.
I'd say the long lead works fine, with the proviso that I keep her out of the bushes. I may also want to get some gloves, because when she sees a squirrel, the risk of rope burn is real!
Last night I watched an action movie called "Greenland 2: Migration" starring Gerard Butler. I watched the first one several years ago and thought it wasn't too bad, but this was just one action sequence after another tied together by the thinnest of plots. There was no complexity. The effects were fun, but honestly, a seventh-grader could have written this movie. (And perhaps did.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





This was a good practice walk with the long leash, for both you and Bailey. It looks like she really loves being in the pond!
ReplyDeleteNever heard of "Greenland" movies, neither the 1st nor the 2nd. But then again, I am not really an action movie person in the first place :-D
I'm not either, honestly, which is probably why I didn't like this one very much.
DeleteBailey has settled in beautifully to her new life. She seems so happy. Glad the limp is gone. Interesting about the retractable leads not being strong enough. Important to know.
ReplyDeleteYeah, I think Bailey is enjoying where she's wound up!
DeleteA happy dog out exploring, you were lucky that she fits in so well.
ReplyDeleteYeah, she's doing great!
DeleteI like the idea of a self cleaning dog!
ReplyDeleteIt's a real thing! We always marveled at how clean Olga was by the end of her walks, no matter how muddy she'd become in the interim, and Bailey is the same way. They have such short hair and maybe just enough skin oil to slough off the dirt.
DeleteNext time, remember your orange swimming trunks and go for a dip in that inviting waterhole with Bailey. This will assist the bonding process. As Bailey was sleeping I was able to read her lips. She was saying, "Squirrel! Squirrel! Squirrel!". That's all.
ReplyDeleteI have no doubt that she's dreaming about squirrels, or related prey animals!
DeleteBailey looks as though she had a great time on that walk. One of our earlier dogs mistook pondweed for grass and just ran straight into the Kennet and Avon canal. Luckily we were able to fish her out pretty quickly as she was on a lead. 😀
ReplyDeleteHa! Olga once fell into a canal and I had to pull her out by her harness. She only made that mistake once.
DeleteI love, love, love the video of Bailey wading into the duckweed-laden pond! Or, as Neil called it, the "inviting waterhole" haha. I wish my dogs were self-cleaning. They're both stinky right this minute (with no swimming to blame for it) and need baths. Ginger, on the other hand, never, ever smelled and always seemed clean and fresh. I wonder why dogs can be so different in that way.
ReplyDeleteI think true water dogs, like labs, tend to smell more than other dogs because they're oilier. Some breeds definitely have a stronger scent.
DeleteI’ve heard warnings about retractable leashes before and I imagine with Bailey’s strength it could be a real problem.
ReplyDeleteYeah, she's too strong for one of those spindly little things.
DeleteShe's definitely happy in her new home, and getting you used to the long lead. Interesting about the retractable warning. I never had a problem even with big dogs lunging about. But I had to wrap the loop around my wrist as well as hold the handle, hand alone not strong enough.
ReplyDeleteI do that with Bailey's lead, too. It's probably good practice no matter how big your dog is!
DeleteAt the SPCA where we got Shirley, and then later Murray, they warned against retractable leashes. I really enjoyed watching Bailey frolic in the pond. You are giving her a great life. If Shirley were in that pond it would take her hours to dry off!
ReplyDeleteIt made me happy to see her swimming, too. She loves it so much.
DeleteI'm playing catch up with blogs this morning. Just read that you got Bailey. It made me very happy to read that.
ReplyDeleteStay tuned for more Bailey adventures! :)
DeleteI imagine she loved the swim!
ReplyDeleteOh yeah! She had a great time! More to come.
DeleteSweet doggie. You are learning each other.
ReplyDeleteExactly. We're figuring each other out.
DeleteShe's brave to plunge right in. Looks like she enjoyed it!
ReplyDeleteShe did not hesitate at all! Brave or foolish? Unsure.
DeleteYou will never be able to keep her out of that pond next time! She looked like she was in paradise. If you head back to the shore, she'll be all over the sea! I couldn't help but imagine as she swam in the duckweed, that she was taking a swim in the reflecting pool. Would they put her in jail, I wonder?!
ReplyDeleteYeah, I wonder how Bailey would treat salt water. Olga never liked the ocean because of the sound and movement. I wonder how many dogs wind up in the reflecting pool? It must happen!
DeleteWhat a great walk! The long lead seems workable and best of all it allows Bailey to swim and explore. I suspect she is going to love the beach.
ReplyDeleteLeather gloves (or finger-less work-out gloves to protect your hands/palms) for holding the leash and reducing pressure to your hands are a good idea. (Leather for the Winter and finger-less for the Summer?)
Even just some gardening gloves would probably work.
DeleteSo when she takes off after a squirrel and comes to an abrupt stop at the end of her leash, does it take your arm off? Hopefully as she ages she will be more tolerant of other dogs.
ReplyDeleteWell, I can somewhat control the severity of the pull when she comes to the end of the lead -- and I can see it coming -- so there's time to prepare! Yeah, I hope she grows calmer with age.
DeleteBailey really was enjoying that water. If there had been fishes in there I think she might have caught one.
ReplyDeleteI don't know that Greenland movie but my friends Julie and Dave are in Iceland right now and headed to Greenland for the eclipse in a few days.
The Greenland movies have very little to do with actual Greenland. It's more about the world being destroyed by a comet impact.
DeleteIt's lovely to watch dogs dreaming and Bailey had plenty to dream about. She has such expressive ears and clearly enjoys life.
ReplyDeleteYeah, I think she's having fun!
DeleteI can't imagine trying to maintain 10 meters of line with a young dog attached to the other end!
ReplyDeleteBy the way, I posted a copy of my Robert Wood sofa art in a blog post today for your benefit. I couldn't find an email to just send it to you. But perhaps somebody else might get a kick out of it besides hopefully you.
I saw the post! Loved it! I just let the 10 meters play out if we're in an open area like a field or pond. It's only when trees are around that things become problematic!
DeleteUntil I enlarged that swimming photo, Bailey looked a little like an alligator. Perhaps I need more coffee this morning? It's great that you're establishing some routines! Bailey seems like a perfect fit for your family and different enough from Olga that the two dogs can't really be compared.
ReplyDeleteHa! I almost posted a close-up of Bailey in that photo but ultimately I didn't. You can just see her head above the waterline.
DeleteI enjoyed this post. Bailey is living her best life, for sure!
ReplyDeleteI hope so!
DeleteI enjoyed the video... the long lead seems to work well.
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan
Yeah, it works well in many circumstances. Not great for areas with trees or other vegetation.
DeleteBailley has taken to you guys like she's been with you since her beginning.
ReplyDeleteShe's only a year and a half old, so she's still pretty close to her beginning -- but her younger life was quite hectic, it sounds like.
DeleteDefinitely get some gloves, leather or suede for tough long lasting usage. With Bailey and butterfly as a title I was a bit disappointed to not see Bailey chasing a Butterfly, but maybe in her dreams she was.
ReplyDeleteI think she WOULD chase a butterfly if given a chance. It might not end well for the butterfly.
Delete