Thursday, August 6, 2026

More Bailey on the Heath


Our canna lily is beginning to bloom, a bright orange splash near our garden steps. It's interesting how so many of the midsummer flowers tend to fall into the orange and red range of the color spectrum, while flowers earlier in the season tend to be purple and pastel. At least that seems the case in our garden.


Another Jersey tiger moth flew into the house yesterday. I got out my very sophisticated Insect Liberation Kit (a glass and a postcard), captured it and took it outside.


Bailey and I had further adventures on Hampstead Heath yesterday. You may remember from previous posts that the Heath is broken up into several sections, separated by fairly busy roads. On Monday I took her to the West Heath, Sandy Heath and Hampstead Heath Extension, all of which are northwest of the main Heath.

Yesterday, I decided to take her to the main Heath. I've been a little hesitant to do that because of her aversion to other dogs, and the main Heath is definitely the busiest region of Hampstead Heath. But part of what I'm trying to do is test her boundaries and get a sense of what she can comfortably do, and I figured a midday walk in the middle of the week might be a less busy time.

It worked out fine. She is perfectly happy on her long lead and I easily steered clear of other dogs. She's perfectly fine around people so that wasn't a worry.


We did come across a young man walking a tiny white teacup-sized something-or-other who was very focused on his phone. His dog was off its lead, and while he stood staring at his screen and tapping out texts, the dog began advancing toward Bailey. I pulled her back but just as I did so, I slipped on some gravel and fell backwards, so there was a chaotic moment when I wasn't in complete control and imagined her pulling away from me and going for that little ball of fluff. To her credit, she didn't. I stood quickly and said to the guy, "Could you call your dog back, please?"

He looked up and said, "Oh." And called the dog and walked away.

No harm, no foul -- but jeez, buddy, you might want to pay closer attention when your dog is the canine equivalent of a macaroon, and easily carried away by a passing hawk.


I took Bailey up to the scenic overlook on Parliament Hill, which was quite busy with other people and dogs, and again, she was fine. I think she's better behaved than I give her credit for being.


She even got another swim, this time in a much cleaner-looking pond! This video also shows her atop Parliament Hill.

Last night I had to stay up late for a conference call with my siblings about my stepmother's estate. We really are making headway toward settling everything but it's a long, slow process. I'm bleary-eyed this morning because I didn't get to sleep until about 1 a.m. -- and then the dog had me up again four hours later.

I killed time before the call by watching two '70s movies -- "Devil Dog: The Hound of Hell" with Ike Eisenmann and Kim Richards (the kids from "Escape to Witch Mountain") and "This House Possessed," with Parker Stevenson. I have the former on my childhood movie list, which means I must have seen it at some point, though I have no memory of it at all. (It's terrible.) I'd never seen the latter, which my brother told me about and which features a pretty incredible mid-century house. Hey, if your house is going to be possessed, at least it can also be scenic!

31 comments:

  1. You "slipped on some gravel and fell backwards"? Oh dear! ...But is there a picture of this clownish incident? Perhaps the guy with the snack dog got one. I would love to see that image. It could even merit a title - "Pride Comes Before A Fall".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thaniks for focusing on the wrong thing and making me feel worse.

      Delete
    2. You are very welcome Steve. I am here to serve.

      Delete
  2. Bailey is having the time of her life exploring with you. I. remember "Escape from Witch Mountain"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved those "Witch Mountain" movies when I was a kid.

      Delete
  3. I can see Bailey becoming your caretaker as well as companion. Bonding is definitely taking place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Bailey just needed to be around other dogs, even from a distance, to realize it's all okay.
    The guy with the phone, though, could be retrained.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All credit to Bailey for not taking advantage of your tumble, she's a very good girl. Bit by bit you will possibly be able to get her used to other dogs, getting her closer a stage at a time. But do try and stay on your feet. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing! I have that very same Insect Liberation Kit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Little snack size ball of fluff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad Bailey is better behaved than you thought!

    This will make you laugh - I remembered to look at the print that Mike's aunt gave him from his grandmother's house. It's John Constable! Ha! The Hay-Wain. Very pastoral.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dig The Video As It Captures Her Bat Like Ears - And Amazing Views Back Into The City - Bummer On Dealing With The Estate Biz But It Is Definitely A Process For Sure - Ours Took Over Two Years And That Included A DipSh*T Lawyer That Previous Drew Up The Family Trust - Trust , Yeah Right

    Walk On ,
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  10. Examples of a self absorbed society abound everywhere and for just about any task imaginable.

    I would have guessed Bailey would have been comfortable in the sight of other dogs because she came from a shelter presumably with other dogs all around. But sight and up close and personal are two different things.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A macaroon snack dog. Love it 😄

    ReplyDelete
  12. She is a good girl! I really like how she doesn't bother any of the people at all.
    My calla lily has been blooming all summer and is really fabulous looking. I think I have to move its bulbs inside for the winter and then replant in the pot in the Spring. I've never had them before and so am not sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant canna lily like you have. I always get those mixed up.

      Delete
    2. I actually stopped to look up Canna lily vs. Calla lily when I began reading this post.

      Delete
  13. I'm glad she's doing better on leash than expected. I don't understand people who have their dogs off leash and then don't pay attention to their dogs. I hope you didn't hurt yourself when you slipped.

    ReplyDelete
  14. People more interested in their 'phones than anything else shouldn't have dogs, or children!
    I love the cat art in your previous post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These walks are such good bonding time for you two. And I'm impressed she didn't freak around the other dogs in the distance or the macaron. Maybe it's just if they seem too close? Time will tell. I'm wondering if that view of Parliiament Hill is where they filmed the last scene of Notting Hill.

    ReplyDelete
  16. There was a guy with a tiny, tiny little dog at the river yesterday. The man was covered in tats and kept the dog in his arms almost the entire time. He sometimes kissed the little pooch. There are signs everywhere that dogs are not allowed at the park and sure enough, here came a sheriff dressed in all his equipment. He strolled down the dock and he and Mr. Dog Owner had a little chat. I guess the sheriff told him that as long as he kept him contained it would be okay because he left and Dog Guy stayed. Still, I worried about alligators. Dogs that size are perfect gator bait.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just amazing to see water - ponds and ditches are dry - don't know about rivers as there are none close enough to see.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad that you were not hurt in the fall, Steve. The guy who was paying more attention to his phone than his pet should not have one. The lily is really a striking color.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We both have a canna lily photo on our blogs today. Your bloom is much prettier. That clean water pond is much more pleasant than the green one. I loved seeing Bailey taking in the view on the hill.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bailey is working out well. She's going to be a great friend. I bet that guy was walking his mothers dog, performatively. Not caring much.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Accidents happen -- thankfully you did not get hurt. Bruised possibly but no broken bones or sore back is best.
    I love your orange canna lily, and it has more blooms to come.
    Baily listens to you and that is ideal. She stops and looks to you when you call her name. The pond looks clear and perfect for Bailey's swim.
    I find that some people are not responsible dog owners and those are the people and dogs that I give a wide berth. Better safe than sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  22. "canine equivalent of a macaroon" - One shake and the lights would be out for small pooch! Small hawk overhead could feed its family. Tiny dogs are freaky! Bailey on the heath is a wonderful thing. Paradise for the girl! she seems to respond well, knows her name, knows the fally over guy , in full control of the lead... kind of hilarious..

    ReplyDelete
  23. I liked the macaroon reference; the coconut image was perfect for the tiny white dog. We seem to live in a more oblivious culture than ever before. I've had several close encounters with people walking with eyes glued to their phones and unaware of anything or anyone else. That's great that Bailey handled herself well! Sorry about your fall. Ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You and Bailey are doing great! I vicariously love your walks (and her wades). How great to have another water dog.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  25. Aren’t possessed houses always scenic? So wonderful to see Bailey enjoying herself and exploring. It’s a relief that she likes people, but it sounds like she’s already adjusting to seeing other dogs around.

    ReplyDelete
  26. That's a lovely video of Bailey.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete