Our biggest sunflower is putting on quite a show, with four flower heads and more on the way farther down the stalk. I've discovered if I precisely position the flower and the phone, I can pretty much block out the defunct satellite dish behind it!
We've had a couple of interesting dog-walking days around here. As I walked Bailey through the nearby housing estate early Friday morning, a man came up to me carrying a small child on his shoulders. He was perturbed because there were a couple of drug-users on the nearby playground, where he'd planned to take his kid. "Needles all over the place!" he said. He told me he'd called the police and was just waiting for them to show up.
I looked through the fence and sure enough, a man and woman were entwined on the ground beneath the swing set, completely oblivious to the world. I kept walking but looped back again several minutes later and the police were there, with medical debris strewn on the ground and the man in handcuffs. The woman was sitting on a swing, smoking. I can't verify the presence of needles but I wouldn't be surprised.
So that was a little slice of urban life.
And then yesterday, as we walked through the cemetery, the "Jambalaya" woman was back, along with what appeared to be several family members. They'd set up some lawn chairs and were blasting a new soundtrack: "Take Me Home, Country Roads," "Red Sails in the Sunset" and "Ghost Riders in the Sky." (Which seems kind of appropriate for a cemetery.) I Shazammed one of the songs and it turned out to be a recording by an Irish duo, Foster & Allen -- who also do a version of "Jambalaya," so perhaps we're being treated to their entire greatest hits album.
I suppose if you don't have a garden, hanging out in the cemetery and listening to music is a good option for a summer day.
Bailey loves to play tug-of-war with her blanket.
I'm enjoying filmmaker Derek Jarman's later diaries, collected in a book called "Smiling in Slow Motion." You may remember I read his book "Modern Nature" several years ago -- his earlier diary entries largely about gardening at Prospect Cottage, his house on the shingle beach at Dungeness -- and even visited the garden soon after. "Smiling" is ultimately going to be a sadder book, detailing his period of decline before his death from AIDS in 1994. But while he mentions medical issues he so far hasn't dwelled on them, and the diary is full of gossipy observations about his friends and fellow show-business luminaries, not all of them complimentary. Jarman was a fierce critic of the sort of bland, corporate inclusion fostered by many gay rights organizations -- he called himself "queer" and lived a libertine life, and I love his rebellious energy.
Plus, he's so funny. On a flight from Berlin in 1992, he wrote: "I can't believe this, they've put a baby in the seat next to me! I cough and splutter and say loudly to HB, ' My AIDS is playing up today.' In alarm, the entire family relocate."



Part of this post reminds me of New York City in the 1970s. Similar scenes of urban life.
ReplyDeleteCities are cities, regardless of the time, with all the attendant excitement and problems.
DeleteWere they pine needles? Perhaps the couple cite needlework as their hobby. Maybe they are producing a modern day version of the Bayeux Tapestry complete with sunflowers, cops, Prospect Cottage and yappy little dogs with false teeth.
ReplyDeleteYappy little dogs?! I beg your pardon!
DeleteWhat satellite dish?
ReplyDeleteThe police acted quickly, as they should.
I thought Foster and Allen were really really old. I knew one of their songs, but I can't recognise it from the list. Or was there another couple..... yes, Flanagan and Allen.
I must have read Jarman's Modern Nature. I now feel inclined to read more.
See? I concealed it well! I do not know Flanagan and Allen. I think Foster and Allen are indeed quite old.
DeleteI love Jarman’s solution to a child in the seat next to him! The sunflower is something else and I wouldn’t even have known about the satellite dish. Poor parent having to face (and shield his child from) druggies and drug paraphernalia. Another great shot of beautiful Bailey.
ReplyDeleteThe only reason I mentioned the dish was because I made such a big deal out of it several posts back! LOL
DeleteSuch an evocative account of a slice of life in London.
ReplyDeleteAs colourful as ever...
Still "The Big Smoke" in many ways!
DeleteI have Jarman's book somewhere, the garden one as I call it. Never liked his experimental films though. He captured a facet of life with intensity, his garden was the still centre.
ReplyDeleteI think I've only ever seen "Edward II." I also saw "Aria," in which he directed one segment, but I don't remember it. And I've seen some of his music videos.
DeleteWe had a spate of "needles all over the place" a few years back, with someone disposing of used needles by dumping a dozen at a time in various gardens, I remember scooping them up as I saw them with thick rubber gloves on and into a paper bag, then into the nearest bin. It's useless wishing they would be more responsible. Bailey looks to be enjoying life very much with her tug-of-war blanket.
ReplyDeleteYikes! I can't imagine having to clean up someone's used needles. That's an urban experience that so far I have happily avoided.
DeleteMy eldest daughter found needles at the end of her garden in sleepy Dorset when her children were tiny. Addicts don't care where they leave their rubbish.
ReplyDeleteNope. It's all about the next fix.
DeleteI love the look on Bailey's face.
ReplyDeleteAnd I love Jarman's humor.
Isn't that a hilarious photo? I love her little teeth.
DeleteBailey living her best life.
ReplyDeleteShe's definitely having a lot of fun!
DeleteSometimes the sadness of the reality of life overwhelms me. The ways we handle addiction are generally so very wrong. I have no answers though.
ReplyDeleteNow I must read Derek Jarman. What an incredibly prolific man he was!
It's interesting that the guy's first reaction was to call the police. I'm not sure I would have done that. I might have just gone to another playground. But then, I suppose they might have OD'd or otherwise been in need of treatment, so his call might have helped them.
DeleteTug On My Girl
ReplyDeleteCheers
I wish you were here to play tuggy with her. There's only so much of it I can handle!
DeleteI wonder if the car music folks were playing the tunes their deceased folks enjoyed while alive! Perhaps, huh?
ReplyDeleteBailey is a stocky little gal!
That's a very good thought -- that might be exactly what they're doing. Bailey is indeed a boxy little dog!
DeleteI think I must remember Derek Jarman's words on my next international flight in coach! I'm guessing someone related to that group recently died or they were remembering the anniversary of the death. Doesn't seem like quite the place for that unless it was for a specific reason!
ReplyDeleteI don't think it's a recent death because I don't think any of the graves in that area are recent. But they may be using the music to help express memories, as Marcia suggested above.
DeletePlaying music for the dead in the cemetery?
ReplyDeleteAt least it wasn't "Monster Mash."
DeleteYour sunflower is gorgeous; it looks about 10 feet tall. Amazing.
ReplyDeleteHow sad that a playground was taken over by drugs and a father with his small child had avoid the park. I' m glad the police took action.
DJ's works sound epic. Rebellious, for me, is always great.
His solution to sitting next to a baby is pure perfection.
It reminds me of being single and dating and being approached by someone not for me. I'd say: I'm looking for a father for my baby. Problem solved!
It is very tall, though partly because it's in a tall planter. Funny line about the baby! I imagine that did work! LOL
DeleteThere was a small 4 unit apartment complex at the opposite end of the block of the street the Houston house was on. A bunch of crack heads moved into one of them and the park became less than desirable. Neighbors would inform the police and they knew those guys were there but until they had some sort of evidence, more than just neighbors reporting what they suspected, they couldn't do anything. No obvious law breaking. The neighbor next to to the apartments on the cross street built a tower on the front corner of his property and sat up there every night with a rifle on guard for the neighborhood. Eventually the landlord evicted the crackheads and the neighborhood started to improve. So the guardian neighbor moved to the next neighborhood he felt needed him. Fun times in an inner city neighborhood.
ReplyDeleteWell, I'm sure it's no fun having a crack house in the neighborhood, but I can't imagine building a guard tower in response. (And sitting in it armed!)
DeleteWhat a wonderful post, bits of all sorts. I cannot imagine playing loud music in a graveyard, although walking around them can be fascinating. Perhaps they know someone buried there who loved that particular kind of music ...who knows!!
ReplyDeleteYeah, I wonder if -- as Marcia said above -- they're playing music that a deceased relative used to enjoy.
DeleteThat is such a gorgeous and huge sunflower. What a treat to see. And, interesting urban life stories all around. That lady has an eclectic mix of music.
ReplyDeleteI loved Jarman's way to get someone to move on an airplane. They pack flights to overflowing these days so I'm not sure that would work any longer.
I wondered the same thing. Where would that family go now?!
DeleteWell at least the man called the police. So many would have just shook their head in disgust and kept on walking.
ReplyDeleteYeah, calling the police was probably the thing to do, though I'm not sure I would have thought to do it.
DeleteThat's an incredible sunflower! John and I had an experience when coming back from Tacoma where a woman was wandering in the road, obviously out of it. Further along, there was a fire truck, so John stopped and told them about her. Meanwhile, several other cars were stopping to let the firefighters know. Not sure what happened--it was a tribal fire truck and we were near/on the reservation. All cities have their grit, eh? Bailey is adorable and obviously enjoying herself!
ReplyDeleteIt's scary how many addicted and seriously troubled people there are out there. And for all the ones we see, there are so many behind closed doors.
DeleteThe tug-o-war photo is so cute!
ReplyDeleteThose little teeth! :D
DeleteThose songs remind me a lot of the ones that my dad wants played at his wake (he wants a wake, and this specific playlist). Maybe they have a loved one buried there that loved this album. But I guess probably not. Ha!
ReplyDeleteNo, I think that's a definite possibility!
DeleteI once had a sunflower with so many heads - they can be so truly wondrous - I think my multiheaded one was about 3 or 4 generations after the seeds had been planted so I do wonder if the cross-breeding with the other local sunflowers had encouraged this. I haven't been here since Bailey so congratulations.
ReplyDeleteWelcome back, Jeanie! There are lots of different types of sunflowers and some are designed to grow multiple heads. I must say I didn't realize these were going to do that when I planted the seeds, but I'm glad!
DeleteI love Bailey's face in that photo!
ReplyDeleteSo fierce!
Delete