It's supposed to be another scorcher today. Not quite as bad as yesterday, which got up to 93º F (34º C) according to the local weather people. Today will be a few degrees cooler, but only a few.
Yesterday morning wasn't bad, and after I walked the dog, I did some reading and took care of a few online errands. Dave and I had pre-planned to go to "The Odyssey" at the local IMAX theatre, so we left after lunch, with a little uncertainty about how Bailey -- alone in the house for the first time -- would handle our absence.
![]() |
| "Iron in the Fire" dahlias |
I really enjoyed "The Odyssey," and it's pretty remarkable, when you think about it, that we are still mining one of humanity's oldest stories -- or series of stories -- for new inspirations. It was big, sweeping, dramatic and LOUD -- too loud, honestly. I covered my ears for parts of it, like the fight with the cyclops in the cave and some of the battles. Dave has a decibel warning monitor on his watch, to alert him when his music room at school is getting too loud, and it was going off like crazy.
I thought the one thing Christopher Nolan could have done better is reinforce the names of the characters -- like, just say their names every now and then so the audience could hear who they are. I know some of the stories in "The Odyssey," at least roughly, but I could not remember the name of Telemachus' mother, and I swear no one called her Penelope until practically the end of the movie. Or maybe I was just overwhelmed by everything else going on.
Anyway, it was a good way to kill off a couple of hours, though expensive. Our tickets were £49, or $66, for the two of us -- and that's before any snacks! Odysseus could have outfitted his whole freaking fleet for that kind of money.
But it got us out of the house and into an air-conditioned environment, which was the goal all along. And when we got home, Bailey was waiting patiently for us, with no evidence of discomfort or anxiety and no damage to the house. Good dog!
And now, as I sit on our garden bench, she's lying on our poor dead grass, and it's time for me to walk her.
Dave made a blueberry pie yesterday, so we now have that for dessert. I teased him for deciding to bake a pie on one of the hottest days of the year, but it did taste good -- so I can't complain too much. We were out of cornstarch to thicken the filling so he used arrowroot, which he read could serve the same purpose. Well, it didn't. (I looked at the container this morning and it expired in 2015, so that could also be part of the problem!)



We have an inside camera which links to our smart speaker (Alexa), it allows us to check on our cat when we are away. You remind me we must check dates on our baking bits.
ReplyDeleteI read The Odyssey more than once for college classes but I wouldn't remember the names of all the characters. I do remember Penelope, though, because I named a certain dog after her. Good for Bailey, handling her first time home alone like a trooper.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Janie
Only 11 years out of date? Should still be OK 😁
ReplyDeleteI know people fudge expiration dates with no problem but, yeah, 11 years might be a bit much. I’m glad you enjoyed The Odyssey. I’m stunned by how expensive it was. Bailey is wonderful.
ReplyDeleteAt the IMAX cinema in Sheffield I paid £7.99 for my "Odyssey" ticket. Sorry - I just thought I would rub that information in. Good to hear that Bailey was a good girl when her cruel daddies deserted her for four hours.
ReplyDeleteI've read on other blogs that "Odyssey" is extremely loud. That would be one reason for me not to see it (apart from me not being all that interested in it in the first place).
ReplyDeleteBailey is such a good girl! You are finding out more and more good things about each other :-)
Eleven years is pushing it a bit! Well done, Bailey, for guarding the house so tidily.
ReplyDeleteWhat a star Bailey is! Poster girl for staffies. The deafening loudness is the reason I quit movies years ago. I see things haven't changed.
ReplyDeleteBailey has settled so happily in with the two of you. She has definitely got her paws under the table!
ReplyDeleteI've heard elsewhere that the sound for the film is too loud. There is an immersive sound level, and a sound level that is just too loud.
ReplyDeleteI've heard the same about arrowroot being a substitute, so there must be something in it.
Are you allowed to water by bucket during a hosepipe ban?
I've just noticed your peace bouquet. Simple and full of meaning.
DeleteThe gap at the end of the sign word barbers between the r and the s looks like a misplaced apostrophe has been removed.
DeleteBlueberries can be especially challenging to thicken.
ReplyDeleteOne of the reasons I no longer go to movies in theaters is because they play them at ear splittingly loud levels. The last time I went, I actually wore a pair of earplugs during the movie to muffle it down a bit.
ReplyDelete$66 for two movie tickets! Wow! Although we don't have IMAX around these parts, premium tickets to our theater are still only about $12. I can't think of the last time I've paid that amount. When I rarely go, it is to matinees for half that. I don't go at that time to save money but to avoid crowds.
Good for Bailey! I'm glad you won't have to be anxious when you leave her alone. I'm also glad you mentioned how loud the Odyssey is - we weren't likely to actually go to a theater to see it, but now we'll definitely avoid it. I really hate loud things!
ReplyDeleteGood on Bailey!!!
ReplyDeleteAnother retirement task - check the dates in your kitchen cabinets (and fridge)!
ReplyDeleteWhen I used to go out to hear bands I became quite adept at using bits of cocktail napkins to use as earplugs. I think every movie I've been to in the last decade (admittedly, very few) have required me to revisit this skill. Why do they do that? It can actually be painful.
ReplyDeleteI hope you gave Bailey an extra treat along with some "good girl!" pats on the head!
ReplyDeleteGood girl Bailey! The first time I left "The Odyssey" was right after the cyclops -- too loud and cold. Then I came back about 40 minutes later and they were fighting again and that's when I left for good. I'll stream it someday. But wow -- I paid 8.50 to go -- in the evening. How can anyone afford to go to the movies in London? I know IMAX is more -- but yikes!
ReplyDeleteWe're thinking of going to see The Odyssey today, but 3 hours! I'll have to take some ear plugs. Or a cocktail napkin.
ReplyDeleteTapioca is a good alternative as a thickener.
Good thinking about going to a movie tat's airconditioned to keep cool.
ReplyDelete