Saturday, August 15, 2026
Tiring Out the Dog
Remember what I said about our nights cooling off? Yeah, never mind. The last two nights have been pretty darn warm. We can sleep with the fan but it hasn't been comfortable.
Today, though, our hot spell is supposed to break. It's 67º F right now and it's supposed to climb to a high of 80º F (or 27º C). That I can handle.
As you can see, the bathing beauty in our neighbors' front garden has been given a pair of sunglasses to help her cope with the hot, bright summer. They're not positioned very well, sadly. I imagine she's still struggling with some glare.
Bailey had a restless night on Thursday -- she got us up two or three times -- and I'm convinced it's because Dave and I didn't give her a second walk in the afternoon as usual. (We went to "The Odyssey" instead, as I mentioned in my previous post.) So yesterday, I gave her a long morning walk through the neighborhood, where we found a little stencil of a bicycle-riding mouse, among other things.
Then, in the afternoon, I took her to Hampstead Heath to give her a swim. Unfortunately, after walking all the way there, we found this sign at the dog beach:
Well, that's a bummer. I'm glad there's no obvious sign of dangerous algae, and I'm glad they're testing, but it's a shame the beach was closed.
So I took Bailey over to Sandy Heath, to the pond there -- the one with the duckweed -- and it wasn't closed or posted. I let her swim as usual, though I'm beginning to think (as some of you have said) that maybe I shouldn't when the weather is so hot and it's been so dry. Even with no visible sign of dangerous algae, those are the conditions in which it forms.
It's interesting -- growing up in Florida I always had dogs, and I lived on couple of different lakes, and I don't remember ever hearing about the risk of blue-green algae. We always just let the dogs swim if they wanted and everything was fine. I mean, they're dogs, right?! They're made to ingest filth! I guess that's why I'm a little skeptical of this risk, but perhaps I should take it more seriously. (I do always look first for visible algae, for what that's worth, but apparently its presence is not always obvious.)
So, Bailey girl, this may be your last swim for a while -- at least until it starts raining again. If it ever does.
She did have fun and she got a lot of exercise, so mission accomplished. After a bath when we got home she was downright exhausted, and we all slept like logs.
We had our new upstairs neighbors, Ian and Sarah, over for drinks last night. Their 10-year-old daughter came too, but she quickly grew bored and didn't particularly like the zero-sugar Irn Bru we gave her (the only soda we had, a freebie from a take-away order), so she went back upstairs in short order. The adults had a good time chatting and I think we're going to get along with these neighbors just fine.
While we were talking, Ian's phone exploded with a loud alert sound, and then Dave's went off too, and then mine. In fact we could hear phones going off all around us, in nearby houses and apartments. It was the UK government sending a "severe alert" about the high risk of wildfires, and discouraging people from using barbecues, fireworks and that kind of thing. I can't remember ever getting a mass alert on my phone from the UK government, so that was interesting in a mildly scary way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




I’ve never experienced one of those mass alerts. That WOULD be scary. So nice that you had your neighbors down. Bailey sure does love the water. A shame about the algae concerns. She seems like you’ve been together forever. How was she with the neighbors?
ReplyDeleteFine! She has no trouble with people at all and in fact she's super-friendly. Some random guy greeted her on our walk yesterday and she was practically in his lap within minutes!
Delete"They're made to ingest filth!"...I thought that was members of the MAGA cult, pornographers and school librarians of course! By the way, those of us without smartphones are spared annoying government alerts which arrive just as heatwaves are ending.
ReplyDeleteThe alert made me jump it was so loud.
ReplyDeleteWe can see the end of summer on the horizon, the lake will be open again before we know it.
ReplyDeleteWe're still in the midst of our heat wave .... thanks climate change ... and usually sleep with windows open and the celling fan going but last night even that wasn't enough. I may leave the AC tonight and I hate that!
ReplyDeleteToo bad about the beach but these days you can't be too careful. Hopefully they can resolve the issue so Bailey can swim.
Now as a UK citizens, you might receive more panic inducing alerts, such as Greggs has gone into receivership! Our dog caught something called folliculitis from swimming in the local free flowing but perhaps polluted creek.
ReplyDeleteAs I wrote, our recent emergency test phone alarm was so quiet, not many noticed it.
I suppose global warming as something to do with the increase in blue algae during our hot summers. Like you, I grew up letting dogs swim everywhere.
ReplyDeleteBecause we lived on a farm where there were no close places for dogs to cool down at, we would buy one of those cheap plastic "kiddie pools" (I have no idea what they are called on that side of the pond) and just lay it in our side yard and fill it full of water for them to lay in and cool off during hot afternoons. More than once a stranger would come down to the farm and while standing there talking to us, would start eying the kiddie pool and two nearly full gown teenage boys nearby and wonder just what we did in the afternoons!
Yes, we plan to get one of those for Bailey, but because of our hosepipe ban there's no point right now. We'd be prohibited from filling it!
DeleteThose phone alerts, I've had them wrt flooding, definitely get your attention, to the point where you're too rattled to take it in. Or maybe that's just me.
ReplyDeleteExcellent Day For Moving About There My Man - I Know She Loved The Swims And The Sense Of Adventure In General - Good On Ya For Hosting The Neighbors - Always Appreciate Your Photos
ReplyDeleteWay Cool ,
Cheers
Jim, the man who's been working with Glen on the Tom situation, told us that they get dog pools instead of kiddie pools for their grandchildren. They're cheaper and scratch proof! I'd never heard of such a thing. I just looked them up though and yes- they are out there. Anyway, like you said, you couldn't fill one up now.
ReplyDeleteBailey's a hoot. She really is a darling.
I'm glad your new neighbors seem like a good fit.
I do love that lady in the bath tub.