Sunday, August 9, 2026

West End Brown


Another shot of our canna lily, which is definitely having a good year. I guess it likes all this sunshine! And it's in a pot so we keep it watered -- from its perspective, what's not to like?

We had a quiet day yesterday. I wanted Bailey to rest up after our urban outing the day before -- and frankly I needed to rest up, too -- so we stayed near home. I read some of the Len Deighton novel I found in that stack of books outside my neighbor's house several weeks ago, and I also worked my way through all the articles I'd bookmarked on my computer for later reading, so I'm caught up now.


When I walked Bailey in the morning I found that one of my neighbors had discarded two orchids in their yard waste bag, so of course I grabbed them and brought them home and put them in new pots. I now have 13 orchids, which is insane. The next time I complain about having too many plants, remind me why. I just can't pass them up, knowing they will bloom again given enough time.


In the afternoon, we walked to the cemetery. This is West End Green (above), soon to be renamed West End Brown.


And here's the cemetery, with Bailey parked next to that bench for photographic purposes. She still doesn't know how to pose as well as Olga, who was a natural in front of the lens, but she will learn. That's the so-called "butterfly garden" behind the bench, but I didn't see much sign of life there yesterday. The flowers have all gone to seed.

When we came back I knocked on the new upstairs neighbors' door and introduced myself officially. I met the dad and the daughter, and the "wee dog," Wally. I told them Dave was away but as soon as he returned we'd have them over (sans Wally) so they could see the garden and we could all get to know each other. Since they're Americans too, I feel more of an affinity with them than with previous occupants of that flat!

24 comments:

  1. I hope you'll get on well with the new neighbours. It makes life so much more pleasant when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is West End Brown any relation to Leroy? Nice that you met the neighbors. Will you be calling them “The Americans” or “The Upstairs Neighbours”? (Note: I used the British spelling.) I was feeling a little guilty about wanting to add another orchid, but I have a long way to go before I reach 13.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very kind of you to invite the neighbours (American: neighbors) down for a little get together and to show off your famous garden. Just wait till they start singing the praises of The Monster in The White House. Bailey will bark like Pongo in "101 Dalmatians".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Orchids make good presents....
    Being neighbourly.. we need more of that nowadays

    ReplyDelete
  5. Re neighbours and a line in a song, Oh those Russians. But I think you had other people above after the Russians.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Odd that the Russians, worst neighbors ever, have provided you with much nicer people!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with the new neighbours - and Wally. Perhaps he will be the breakthrough for Bailey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hopefully your new neighbors will be good ones. And hopefully they are not MAGA. That would be not so good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. West End Brown. Hopefully it will get green again!
    Now, I am not a plant person, but I don't understand the idea of throwing them out unless they are dead beyond dead. Surely they know someone who would take a plant???

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is it hoarding, if it is plants, and you have a big garden, and space inside.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would have done the same with the orchids. When did they become disposable? Do people really think that after they bloom they should simply be discarded?
    I hope you and Dave and the new neighbors get along well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I need to send my 3 very sad orchids to you on a holiday, and when you have nurtured them back to glory, I‘ll relieve you of them again.
    Very good of you to say hello to the new people uostairs! It should actually be the other way round, newcomers introducing themselves, but this standard custom seems to have gone out of fashion, at least in my part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm the same, have to rescue, discarded poorly plants. My spare bedroom windowsills are a plant nursery. For very little effort you can have a healthy plant again. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope you both get on well with the new neighbours, and who knows maybe Bailey will take to Wally in the not too distant future too. I have never really had orchids before, but some visiting relatives bought me one last year. When the blooms fell off I thought that was it, fortunately I Googled what to do and the next set of blooms that appeared a couple of months later were even better than the first.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You could give your new neighbors an orchid as a housewarming gift! Or next time you are invited over to a friend's take them one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bailey may never become the "poser" that Olga was. I've had a number of dogs that just wouldn't behave for me when the camera came out.

    ReplyDelete
  17. If you would like, I can send my MIL over to stay with you since she too has never passed by an orphan orchid.

    We still always introduce ourselves to new neighbors though I suspect that is a dying trend these days judging from their surprise. I also leave them gifts of excess veggies from our garden and occasionally it gets reciprocated in the form of baked goods.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good neighbors make life so much easier and pleasant day-to-day for everyone.
    It is also nice when you feel some connection.
    Your orchids do very well, and the two new orchids look healthy.
    One of my white orchids is blooming but the other two are just leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think Bailey is posing quite nicely! I am lost in admiration that you can keep 13 orchids. I killed the ONE I had. Embarrassing. That will be fun to get together with the new neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am still aghast at how brown everything is. That is certainly not the England I'm used to seeing. And, it makes me afraid of what will come next.
    Glad you met the neighbors. It's always nice to get to know those living around you. Also glad to see the orchid infirmary is still in business.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm glad you met the neighbors. Yes, Wally might BE dinner if Bailey got hold of him! Nice they are neighbors too-- perhaps easier to communicate with. Boy, that's dry and sad looking. You make me wonder if my sad orchid with no blooms left will come back. It's been woefully neglected in my absence -- I think the last time it had any water was July 21, right before I headed north. I'd love to come home next week and see a surprise but I'm not optimistic! Any hints?

    ReplyDelete
  22. You will have to rename your flat "Orchid Farm". Nice of you to meet the neighbours and I hope you all get along. I don't like most of mine, but stay civil and say hello to most while avoiding the ones who don't know how to shut up after they've said hello. I don't dare say "how are you?"for fear of taking root on the footpath as they yammer on and on not noticing that my eyes are spinning and my brain leaking out of my ears after 40 minutes of non-stop drivel.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Camera quality is my top priority when buying a phone.

    ReplyDelete