Sunday, September 6, 2026
A Bird's-Eye View
Another late start to blogging, mostly because I didn't sleep well last night and thus stayed in bed later than usual. I woke up around 1:30 a.m., rolled over and began feeling a sharp pain in my chest -- which of course had me concerned right away. I got out of bed and walked around, and felt fine standing or sitting up, but then when I returned to bed I got the same pain again. I reasoned that it couldn't possibly be my heart, or it would be constant, right? But in an abundance of caution I called the NHS medical advice line, which fortunately for me is a 24-hour operation, and they seemed to believe it wasn't an emergency but they're going to have a doctor call me later today. (Of course, it being the weekend, my regular GP's practice is closed.)
I did eventually go back to sleep, but not before reading the news. I saw that Robin Morgan died -- her ground-breaking anthology "Sisterhood is Powerful" was a popular book among some of my women friends in college. It seems significant that she died just a few days after Gloria Steinem. It's been a tough week for second-wave feminism.
Here's a view of our garden that we don't often see. Our upstairs neighbors, Ian and Sarah, had us over last night for some snacks and drinks on their terrace, so we got a bird's-eye perspective on our growing space. You can see some dry sticks to the right of the bird-bath -- that's one of our big buddleias, which pretty much died in the drought. I cut it back yesterday, even though it's the wrong time of year, in the hopes that it will leaf out again, but we shall see. I think we may have lost it entirely. You can also see the whitish-silvery look of the dahlias, in a row to the left of the central flower bed. They're that color because once again they've become afflicted with powdery mildew. It's just something that seems to happen to them late in the season.
Here's our patio from above. A regular jungle, isn't it? There's the avocado on the left, the tree fern bottom center, the banana top center, a bay tree upper right, the Brugmansia on the patio table in the middle and the neighbor's climbing rose, aka "The Monster," at right.
There really is a patio down there somewhere.
And here's the view to the north out one of their attic skylights, looking up the street. I've never seen any of these perspectives so it was neat to see the neighborhood and the garden from a new angle!




I often experience sharp chest pains when I try to sleep, especially on one side, but they eventually disappear if I prop myself up on two pillows. Possibly acid reflux according to internet searches. No point in me asking my doctor as I can never get an appointment.
ReplyDeleteIt's frustrating when you can't even get in to see a GP! It's hard here, too. I think acid reflux may be exactly what's causing this.
DeleteGetting a new angle on things is brilliant..and having good neighbours us a great thing.
ReplyDeleteHope the medics can sort the problem..Sometimes I get chest pain as I have a couple of vertebra that have been damaged in the past..and sleeping awkward can aggravate that as it affects a rib..which is why it can be felt at the front..So the source if a problem isn't always obvious.
Thinking about the mildew isn't that caused by dry roots and spores in damp air?
The roots shouldn't be dry -- I water the darn things almost every day! But dahlias are very greedy plants so it's possible they're still too dry, especially in pots.
DeleteOh dear! Your grass looks so patchy and very unlike a traditional English lawn so I have a solution. Buy a couple of rolls of artificial grass from B&Q and cut to shape. It will always be nice and green and what is more you will never need to mow it. Sorry to hear about the sharp pain incident and I hope it was just a one-off in the middle of the night when it's easy to get things out of proportion.
ReplyDeleteEven if I were an artificial turf fan, which I am not, I wouldn't pay to carpet the whole garden!
DeleteHope by your next post, Steve, that you will update on the unexpected pain issue and that it was nothing serious. It's nice that your new neighbors have become such good ones in a short time. Seeing the neighborhood from a high view was interesting.
ReplyDeleteThe pain hasn't returned to that degree of severity, but I still feel a twinge lying on my right side. Who knows what it is. If it persists or gets worse I'll have it checked out.
DeleteBeing socially in the company of neighbours must have been nice, and how interesting to see views from their perspective. I think more neighbourly things should happen in London.
ReplyDeleteI agree!
DeleteLove the view of the rooftops!
ReplyDeleteIsn't that great? It would be very cool to have such views. I wish they could look south toward the city.
DeleteHow fun to see home from a new perspective.
ReplyDeleteYeah, it was interesting!
DeleteYou might consider the pain is really in your chest wall, maybe you've been lifting stuff? Pulled by Bailey? There's a few possibilities aside from heart.
ReplyDeleteChest wall is very likely, and pulled by Bailey is certain!
DeleteWhat a great view of your garden and neighborhood. And even better that you are, at long last, able to enjoy the company of your neighbors. Now, about that chest pain -- good that it eased when your position was changed but I hope they can give you some definitive answer -- a rib out of whack or similar. It's just good to know. Keep us posted.
ReplyDeleteI'll follow up on it if it worsens or doesn't go away after a while. I think it's probably just some minor musculoskeletal injury.
DeleteThat's what happened to me in '24. Woke up in the middle of the night with a weird pain which eventually led to all those procedures I had done during the summer starting with the false aneurism scare. I wish there had been a 24 hour hotline then.
ReplyDeleteNice to get along with your neighbors and how fun to see your garden from above and the view of the neighborhood.
The 24-hour hotline is very helpful, especially when you're dealing with something that is borderline concerning and you don't want to go to A&E if you don't have to.
DeleteLet me give you my diagnosis: How's the ole gallbladder? That's a pain that can grab your attention real quick!
ReplyDeleteLast it was checked, it was fine. I had it scanned not too many years ago. Three, maybe?
DeleteI always cut my buddleia back at this time of year and it survives. They're normally as tough as old boots. Hope your pain gets sorted, have you been lifting anything heavy or it could be your doggy pulling on her lead. Xx
ReplyDeleteThey ARE normally tough, which is why I was so surprised by how severely this one declined! We usually trim ours in February, though now that you mention it, we do a light trimming in autumn.
DeleteCostochondritis? Jessie had that once as did Kathleen. It can cause sharp pains in the sternum area. Oh, the human body is constantly trying to scare the daylights out of us.
ReplyDeleteI love your neighbor's view of your garden! Do you suppose they ever get jealous, looking at what you have and they do not?
It seems like something along those lines -- maybe something skeletal. Hard to tell. I would feel strange living above a big garden and not having access to it, but in London it's very common.
DeleteHopefully it's just something musculoskeletal. It's easy to think the worst in the middle of the night. Nice to get a new perspective. I guess the russians never invited you upstairs? I love that first photo!
ReplyDeleteI went upstairs once when the Russians lived there, and that was just to see the source of a leak that was damaging our wall -- so it was a very targeted visit, and the place was under renovation at the time. I've never seen it finished.
DeleteAttribute your pain to living in the world at the moment- aren't you pleased that I am not your doctor. Anyway hope that resolve soon and Mary is right, check out costochonditis,, whatever that is, Dr. Google will help...
ReplyDeleteHigher up perspective of garden and neighborhood is interesting- Great opportunity to see from that level. You do live in a grand neighborhood!
Dr. Google is usually NOT the place to go, in my experience. It just freaks me out!
DeleteWhat A View !!! Definitely Gives Off A "Better" Perspective Of The Garden - And That Last Photo Is Mind Bending With The Possibilities - Talk About An Ideal Time Lapse Perch
ReplyDeleteWay Flipping Cool ,
Cheers
Yeah, it would be very cool to put a camera out there and take pictures through the day and then run them all together, watching how the light changes.
DeleteGood neighbors like, Ian and Sarah are great to have. Your snacks and drinks on the terrace made a nice evening. The views from their terrace show your garden is thriving and the neighborhood from ahigh looks great.
ReplyDeleteSharp unexpected pain in the middle of the night is scary. You are lucky to have a nurse hotline and know this is not an emergency but should be checked out.
Yeah, I am thankful for that hotline, for sure. Probably the alcohol in the evening did me no favors.
DeleteGosh, that's a great view of your garden! I bet your neighbors are so glad to have such beauty to look at with none of the gardening work!!
ReplyDeleteHope the pain has gone away and stays away, Steve!
Well, that's the flip side of not having access, right? No responsibilities!
DeleteWhat a wonderful opportunity to see your beautiful garden from a different angle. I also do this sometimes through my neighbor's window whose house is higher than mine. (We live on a hill).
ReplyDeleteIt's amazing how much of a difference a little elevation can make!
DeleteIt's always cool to get a different perspective.
ReplyDeleteWhat Boud said about the chest pain, and do you have reflux? That can cause a lot of chest pain.
I do have reflux, supposedly, and it waxes and wanes. I may get back on my lansoprazole if this problem persists.
DeleteOh these are great shots from above. I love the one looking down your street.
ReplyDeleteIt's interesting to see all the rooftops! Not a view I usually get.
DeleteGreat that you get different views. Sounds like you have some good neighbors.
ReplyDeleteYeah, they're great.
DeleteWowser...that balcony is high up! I love the view, choosing between that and having your backyard, I would choose your garden.
ReplyDeleteWell, it's a little distorted because I took the photo with an iPhone, which tends to telescope objects so they look farther than they are. But it IS higher than a typical first-floor balcony in the states, I think.
DeleteChoose one branch on your buddleia and cut it back about a foot and check the cut area, is the inside of the branch dry and brown? cut again another foot down and check again. If you get all the way to the base and no sign of life or colour in that branch, the bush is most likely dead, but still it could just be that branch, so don't give up right away. Keep watering and see. You could dig to the roots and cut into one of those to check for life but that's a bit extreme. Powedery mildew often appears when there is not enough air circulation, same as with mealy bugs.
ReplyDeleteI'm taking a more passive approach. We'll just leave it until next spring and see if it reappears.
DeleteI can spend hours looking through satellite images of places I have been too so I can understand the attraction even if it isn't from miles higher in the sky.
ReplyDeleteIt's just interesting to get a new angle on an old view! I'm also intrigued by satellite images of our neighborhood, which really shows how all the properties connect.
DeleteMy acid reflux has reared its ugly head again (it's mostly under control) & I have been SUFFERING. I mainly feel it in my throat, but it often starts out as chest pain. Very annoying & scary! I'm still trying to figure out how to calm everything down.
ReplyDeleteI love the few of your garden from above! It's a jungle down there - excellent!
Have you tried lansoprazole (Prevacid)? It works pretty well for me when I have a flare-up.
DeleteI dislike those mysterious pains. I always imagine the worst. The view is stunning from up there and how nice to have congenial neighbors. (for a change)
ReplyDeleteYeah, it was a little concerning! But I didn't wake up Dave. I wasn't THAT worried.
Delete