Tuesday, September 15, 2026
The Uncaged Birds
Bailey and I found this street art on our walk yesterday afternoon. I'm not sure what it means. Obviously caged birds being released, but why does the cage have an English flag? Something about letting go of far-right nationalism?
We also encountered a gigantic tour bus trying to snake its way through the relatively narrow streets of our neighborhood. It was trying to round a corner from a side street onto our street, and it seemed to be having trouble making the turn. As I walked by, the driver opened his window and called out to me, "Can I go down this street?"
I said, "Well, the street's open, but I have no idea whether you'll be able to get that thing down it. I've never driven a bus before!"
He seemed unhappy with this answer, so he asked the guy walking behind me the same question. I didn't stick around for his response. Somehow he managed to get out of there because by the time the dog and I had circled the block the bus was gone.
So yes, I still walked Bailey in the morning and then I walked her again in the late afternoon, despite the fact that her dog-walker started yesterday and took her out for an hour. So she got three walks. The whole reason we're getting the dog walker is so I'll have more freedom to leave home and not be tied down by canine responsibilities, but so far I'm still trying to figure out how he fits into our daily schedule. She expects a walk when she first gets up, and I think she needs one in the afternoon, so who knows. My ideal would be to have the walker come in the afternoon, but apparently that's not an option. We'll make it work.
She had fun on her walk, if this video by her dog-walker, Josh, is any indication. She took to him right away and didn't show the slightest concern about leaving me behind -- unlike Olga, who used to put her tail between her legs whenever the dog-walker showed up, and never liked to leave home without Dave or me.
I also took down our inflatable mattress from one of the dark hidey-hole cabinets over our hallway and blew it up to make sure it still works. Dave's nephew and his girlfriend will be sleeping on it when they visit later this week, so we wanted to make sure it's functional, and it appears to be. We still have some work to do to get ready for their visit, mainly re-hanging the drapes in the dining room, which also serves as the guest room on the rare occasion that we have visitors, and moving some furniture to make room for the bed.
The last time anyone stayed with us was Dave's parents, I think, and that was back in 2018! Can that be right?!


Bailey looks ecstatic. She seems to adapt so readily. What a wonderful dog. I once had a truck driver in Sevilla ask me if he could get down a street. The answer was an obvious “no”, but I thought he really shouldn’t be relying on pedestrians.
ReplyDeleteStaffies are apparently very adaptable dogs by nature, or so I've read. She certainly picked up with Josh right away, no hesitation. Why do truck/bus drivers think pedestrians know anything about their vehicles?!
DeleteI wonder why the tour bus was on your street. My theory is that it was packed with "Shadows and Light" fans - eager to pass by the home of their plantoholic hero. After answering the bus driver you should have sung "The Wheels on the Bus" at the top of your voice, adding "The driver on the bus goes bat shit crazy, bat shit crazy..."
ReplyDeleteWell, it was empty, so clearly the "Shadows and Light" tour was a dismal failure!
DeleteMy first reaction to the street art was it looks like the cuckoo birds leaving the Capital Building. There are few there that need to leave.
ReplyDeleteThat makes sense!
DeleteYeah, that's a good guess!
DeleteYou'd hope the bus driver would know what streets he or she can navigate but then ....
ReplyDeleteI know! He ought to know his clearance better than I do!
DeleteThe video is great 🩶 I often think I must have been a dog in a previous life because I enjoy simple pleasures and like people, but I haven't frolicked quite like that 😀
ReplyDeleteThe art work makes one think, which is good. The obvious thought is freedom, of course. . . Breaking free, reaching for the stars, the sky is the limit. . . Is it a bird? Is it Superman?
Maybe you should roll around on the grass the next time you go to the park? 😆
DeleteFor some reason I get stressed when I see a vehicle trying to maneuver where they don't really belong. Like I'm the one who will get in trouble if they don't succeed. I could probably use a bit of therapy to work through that issue.
ReplyDeleteOh and I love the artwork!
DeleteI agree, it IS a bit stressful. And in this case there were cars backed up behind him, which makes it worse!
DeleteOn rare occasions an 18 wheeler will try and make the turn onto our street with deep ditched on either side and it just isn't possible. Why they want to go down our street in the first place is a mystery. Glad that Bailey seemed fine with the dog walker. I would think that two walks a day would be plenty.
ReplyDeleteI think Google Maps sometimes sends drivers on these weird backstreet routes, not considering the size of their vehicles.
DeleteBailey is an exuberant dog. The video was fun.
ReplyDeleteShe definitely is!
DeleteMust be a new driver or one confused by construction? How odd he didn't know. I hope you can figure out a good schedule with the walker. That would be a big help.
ReplyDeleteI think he was being led astray by Google maps, or some other map program.
DeletePossibly the bus driver was a bit lost. I see tour busses in Lexington and Concord (MA), and the route is always the same.
ReplyDeleteBailey seems happy with her dog walker, and she must be overjoyed with three walks, although two sound perfectly fine as well.
The street art carries many interpretations. For me, the message is fly high, fly free.
Yeah, I think two walks is adequate, but she has come to expect one first thing in the morning, before her dog walker arrives! I need to eventually break that habit, maybe. She can always go out in the garden.
DeleteI was wondering how you ended up with an English accent:) Bailey looks very happy and relaxed with the dog walker.
ReplyDeleteMy thought about the tour bus was, were they trying to drive by your famous neighbor's house.
Ha! Yeah, that is not me. LOL
DeleteI don't think there are celebrity tours here, fortunately. The bus was empty so I think he was just trying to get it from one place to another.
That video by your dog walker was great. Bailey is sure enjoying life! I like the sound of Josh's voice. Made me wonder if you or Dave have picked up a bit of an English accent?
ReplyDeleteWe have not! We still speak full-on American! Just as English people who move to the states very often retain their English accents.
DeleteBailey was really enjoying that grass! I wonder what that tour bus driver was doing on a residential street.
ReplyDeleteMy guess is, a maps app led him astray.
DeleteI get a fair number of semis that attempt to tackle our road which is very narrow and a cul-de-sac to boot. They end up keeping the trees trimmed as I often have to pickup branches off the road where they broke them in their attempts to escape back onto the main road.
ReplyDeleteWhy on earth are semis trying your street, I wonder? Unless they're delivery trucks or moving vans there for a reason.
DeleteYes, they are always delivery ones. Occasionally I have ordered some large item that comes on a semi. They lower it down using power liftgates and leave it in your driveway. I have to figure out how to get it the rest of the way.
DeleteI think if I'd been asked that question by the bus driver I would have said, "I have no idea." Because honestly- why would some random pedestrian have any sort of accurate information on that?
ReplyDeleteYes. I like Josh's voice too. Sounds like he's a good guy.
That is a very, very long time to go between house guests.
Exactly! Why would he expect me to have any knowledge of where his truck can maneuver?!
DeleteBailey is really settling in with y'all. She is cute.
ReplyDeleteShe IS cute and she's a good girl, despite her neurosis around other dogs. I hope Alice is calming down?
DeleteI can't remember what I said about Alice, but (bless her heart) she crossed the Rainbow Bridge during covid (along with many of our aging pack around that time). She could have qualified as "best dog ever", but really that title belonged to Angus, our first Rottweiler.
DeleteIf that nice Street Art was about letting go of Far Right Nationalism, that can only be a good thing. I think the Far Right has really given everyone fatigue Globally and is so unlovely. I like the Art tho'. Bailey looks like you wore her out on that Walk. *LOL*
ReplyDeleteI hope people get disillusioned with all the false promises and the racist bullshit that the far-right promotes. Seems like it's happening in the states.
DeleteI'm thinking of the slow deflation of an air mattress overnight.
ReplyDeleteThat's excellent that Bailey likes the dog walker.
Yeah, I worry about the deflation issue too, but it ought to be able to hold air for a night at least!
DeleteOh the joys of rolling in the grass...
ReplyDeleteMakes you want to try it, right? :)
DeleteDogs really keep us occupied.
ReplyDeleteThat's for sure!
DeleteBailey is clearly loving every single second of that walk 😀
ReplyDeleteYeah, she was having a great time. LOL
DeleteThat's excellent that Bailey likes the dog walker--no worries about leaving on your trip. Or at least, not that concern. I have NO clue how our Irish coach driver navigated those narrow roads; I heard some imprecations and grumbling when cars came bearing down us on the narrow roads; apparently, they're supposed to give way, back up or let us by. We certainly couldn't back up!
ReplyDeleteYeah, cars in London are supposed to give way if possible, or back up if not -- recognizing that larger vehicles don't have the same maneuverability. I'm sure the car drivers curse the buses too, though!
Delete