Saturday, October 3, 2026
A Tortoise and a T-Shirt
My brother and I took a ride down to St. Augustine yesterday, on a silly mission inspired by one of my recent thrift shop visits. I had picked up a t-shirt in the Bradenton Goodwill from a place called Sunset Grille on Anastasia Island. We decided that since I had the shirt we should "legitimize" it by actually visiting the restaurant. So after dropping off his daughter at school and running some errands, off we went!
We passed the gopher tortoise above south of St. Augustine near the Matanzas Inlet. It was just poking along this driveway eating greenery out of the sea grass. We happened to look down the driveway as we passed and both of us exclaimed, "Tortoise!"
And here I am in front of the Sunset Grille modeling my new shirt. I'm not sure who buys a souvenir t-shirt and then goes to the restaurant it advertises, but I guarantee you I paid less than I would have there! We had grouper sandwiches ($27 each this time, a relative bargain) and explored the town a bit, but we barely got out of the car because, as you can see, we were threatened with a downpour at any minute.
We stopped by a Starbucks where the cashier entered my name into the computer as "Steeve," and the barista dutifully copied that spelling onto my cup. It's phonetically right, anyway.
Our errands also included stopping by the bank, which we have to do again today for reasons that are too boring to explain, and Publix, "where shopping is a pleasure." (An old company slogan, perhaps still in use and deservedly so.) My brother made some impressive steak filets last night, with brussels sprouts and salad. This afternoon, after seeing my older niece, I'll be driving back to Tampa for my flight out tomorrow.
Oh, and I called the billing center for that hospital in Coral Gables I mentioned yesterday -- the one that sent me a peculiar bill for an emergency room visit I never made. I looked them up online and called rather than using the number on the bill itself, in case it was a scam, and they asked me to verify the information printed on the bill -- my billing number, name and address, as well as my date of birth, which I gave since it's easily available anyway. The woman put me on hold, and then another woman came on the line, apologized, and let me off the hook right away. She said they'd identified the error that led to me receiving a bill and to disregard it. They also said they'd send another letter to make clear I don't owe any money.
The whole thing was very strange. But fingers crossed, it's been resolved.



I miss shopping at Publix.
ReplyDeleteI do too! Waitrose is England's comparable store, I think, but none of them are as spacious as a Publix. (At least not in London.)
DeleteThat's a funny way of doing the tshirt and visit! I love the pose in the shirt in front of the restaurant.
ReplyDeleteI'm very glad the hospital billing is fixed without a big fuss. If only the bank did likewise.
I was astonished at how easily they backed down, which makes me think even MORE that it was some kind of scam.
DeleteI'm glad you got straightened out with the hospital. Bad thing to be hanging over your head. Love the shirt and the restaurant looks nice. That's one big tortoise! Safe travels!
ReplyDeleteWe saw that tortoise clearly from the car!
DeleteDid they tell you what the error was? Such a busy trip. I'd be exhausted, on the go the whole time.
ReplyDeleteNo, and I didn't ask, but I wish I had.
DeleteGood to get the hospital bill fully resolved. The response you got seems dubious; the bill is eliminated but why was it originated in the first place. Seems fishy in the billing dept.
ReplyDeleteGreat t-shirt and the restaurant looks pretty good too. Fish sandwiches rarely disappoint, even when they continue to get pricey.
Safe travels.
A fish sandwich is a Florida staple! (And probably a New England one too.)
DeleteI always feel a little blessed when I see a gopher tortoise. They're such interesting creatures. So alien and yet so familiar at the same time.
ReplyDeletePretty amazing that your bill error was so easily (it would appear) cleared up. Glen's having the same problems with Tom's finances that you had with your step-mother's. I am now pretty convinced the banks just don't want to let those funds go.
I like the T-shirt picture a lot.
I do think banks hold onto that money at all costs!
DeleteWell, you certainly packed a lot of fun and visiting into your trip, Steve! Hope you have safe and smooth travels home.
ReplyDeleteIt's been a whirlwind, as is often the case when I come to Florida.
DeleteDear Steeve: I’m so relieved (and surprised) the billing issue with the hospital was easily resolved. Those are the kinds of things that can drag on forever and make you work your last nerve. I love that you bought the T-shirt and then went to the restaurant. That’s a first for me.
ReplyDeleteIt's a first for me too! LOL
DeleteIt was a relief that you and your brother both yelled the same thing.
ReplyDeleteWould we have confused the tortoise otherwise?
DeleteWell hello Steeve! It's good to have that bill thing taken care of. I've had something similar happen with medical bill. They sent me a bill saying the insurance company didn't pay it but thankfully, I had the statement from the insurance company saying they did. It pays to check these things.
ReplyDeleteYeah, it's always good to keep track and how fortunate that you could submit the insurance payment record so they could see the error of their ways!
DeleteAccording to their web site, they offer one free white tshirt when you spend over $60. https://sunsetgrillea1a.com/
ReplyDeleteReally?! And I DID spend more than $60! I was robbed!
Delete(Maybe that's $60 per person?)
DeleteI just learned about gopher tortoises and longleaf pine habitat, very interesting. I like your new shirt.
ReplyDeleteIt's a habitat that is disappearing in Florida, sadly. (Much of it already has.)
DeleteAt first look I thought that that tortoise was a rock!!!
ReplyDeleteThat's probably the evolutionary goal!
DeleteYou are so right about paying less for the shirt elsewhere. I get caught up in the moment and buy way too many overpriced shirts. I read up above that it could have been free though. Oops. That's odd about the hospital bill. I don't know who works in billing departments these days but I've heard many STRANGE stories lately.
ReplyDeleteI suspect it's free to people who pay $60 individually, which I did not do. I guess these medical billers are doing all they can to squeeze a dime out of people.
Delete$27 for a Grouper sandwich? Yikes! It is good though, one of my favorites from times in the tropics. Safe travels home Steeve. :)
ReplyDeleteThat's almost ten dollars cheaper than the one Dave's dad bought me in Bradenton!
DeleteWhy not stick a few more e's in there - like sliding on ice - Steeeeeeve! By the way, when I grew up in East Yorkshire there were two brothers in the next village - Stephen Reed and Michael Reed... so co-incidentally is your brother also called Michael?
ReplyDeleteHe is not, but it's pretty funny that you also knew a Stephen Reed. There seem to be a lot of us out there.
DeleteEvery time I read "grouper sandwich" I think of Frenchy's restaurants and their grouper sandwiches. I didn't eat them but my mom and dad loved them. They lived in Palm Harbor/outside Tampa. They've both been gone a few years now, but whenever you write about FL it brings back such memories.
ReplyDeleteI remember you mentioning your Palm Harbor connection before! I've never heard of Frenchy's. Maybe a local thing in Palm Harbor (which I don't know all that well).
DeleteWell, you may not have found your camera but you did solve an incorrect bill.
ReplyDeleteYou can't have everything, right?
DeleteI spent much of last week in banks, lawyer offices and other official buildings. I’m ready for a week of nothing on my schedule. Lawyers can definitely afford grouper sandwiches since they make $500 per hour!
ReplyDeleteWhich is insane, no matter how many student loans they have to pay off.
DeleteI love the restaurant/tee-shirt story, Steeve, and it's a great photo with total FL vibes!
ReplyDeleteA sort of reverse tourism!
DeleteNice restaurant and t-shirt, Hope it didn't rain. The tortoise almost looks like a shiny black rock.
ReplyDeleteIt rained a little, but nothing we couldn't manage (and nothing like people farther north were getting).
DeleteGreat playing with phonetics, Steeve. English is a suitable language for that.
ReplyDeleteMine isn't (= The Finnish language) 🇫🇮
Think about this: 🐢 Tortoise = taught us: that's from Alice in Wonderland.
The "tortoise" pun from Alice only works with an English accent. We Americans pronounce the "r" too firmly for it to sound like "taught us." :)
DeleteI once knew a man called Marc, and when he ordered a coffee he said " it's Marc with a C ". When his drink arrived the name on it was Cark!!
ReplyDeleteHA! That's the best Barista story I've ever heard! LOL
DeleteA fun story about buying the t-shirt and then going to find the restaurant. Good to read that the hospital snafu was so easily resolved, but still odd. Safe travels back to the UK.
ReplyDeleteStill odd, yes. I can't help but wonder whether I've heard the last of this.
Delete