Friday, October 2, 2026

Gloria Dei


This is the Gloria Dei Lutheran Church on Anna Maria Island, a landmark since it was built in 1964. Unfortunately it was damaged in hurricanes Helene and Milton a couple of years ago, and sadly the church is now closed and the property is for sale. The building was designed by Victor Lundy, from the renowned Sarasota School of Architecture, but it looks like it's going the way of the dodo bird. An application has been filed to turn the entire site into houses.


Sue and I walked past it early yesterday morning, and we enjoyed the light from inside illuminating the stained glass clerestory windows and front door.


Apparently the city tried to acquire the property to preserve the church and surrounding green space. but it couldn't match the $10 million listing price, so private developers have won out.

Sad.

Yesterday was my last day on Anna Maria. As I mentioned, Sue and I walked early in the morning, and then I hit the road after breakfast to drive up to Jacksonville to visit my brother. I don't have any photos from that trip, because I stuck to the interstates and they just aren't very interesting. I stopped for a coffee in DeLand but otherwise kept the pedal to the metal.


In Jacksonville, my brother showed me that there's a Trump counterpart to the stickers that Biden-hating Republicans were plastering on gas pumps during his term. Excellent!

Oh, and speaking of politics, I got word from the local Supervisor of Elections that my ballot was received. So my vote is officially in.

Today we've got some errands to run and hopefully some time for fun in between. Among the things I need to look into is a very strange bill I received for an emergency room visit in Coral Gables on July 11 -- it's in my name, but clearly I was not in a hospital in Coral Gables on that day. (I don't think I've been to Coral Gables in at least 30 years.) I'm not sure whether it's identity theft or some other scam. The bill was initially for $1,400 but the hospital has supposedly written off all but $140, which they want me to pay. Sounds dubious! I thought I'd call the hospital and see if they know anything about it. Definitely one of the weirder pieces of mail I've ever received.

9 comments:

  1. You think me living in the heart of a very very red part of this country should have seen the Biden sticker you are referring to on a gas pump but I never have. Nor have I seen the Trump one which I thought was pretty clever. Perhaps residents of my rural area are just not into sticker graffiti. On a similar vein, I saw a video recently of someone who carried stickers in their glove box that said, "I park like an asshole" and had a video of attaching it to vehicles that can't seem to park between two lines in a parking lot. I briefly thought about ordering up some of those but there are a lot of guns out here and I don't really want to get shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had any of those "I park like an asshole" stickers I would have to put them on my own car. I'm the worst. BUT I TRY!

      Delete
  2. Even church architecture is unique in FL. The pointy dome on the church is most unusual.
    The Coral Gables ER bill has to be a scam How did they get your contact info and how much info do they have?
    The shortage of housing is bringing lots of new construction. We've had a new $1M plus condo complex built in a farmland acreage. Less farmland and open space are sad. People are downsizing to condo living.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Puzzling about the hospital bill. I'm wondering how they even found you. Or if their ai has mixed up two people of the same name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every gas pump in country needs one of those stickers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That church does indeed look like something a 60's Florida church would look like. Florida's just a quirky place, isn't it?
    I hope that you and your brother and his family get to have more than just a little fun. Enjoy your time together- it's rare.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the church, for the architecture, not what goes on inside, or went on inside.
    Too bad it couldn't be saved.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keep On That Walking Journey My Good Man

    Happy Trails ,
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too bad about that lovely building. Shame that can't use it as a neighborhood clubhouse when they build all of those houses. They could put a pool and park around it.
    Weird hospital bill does sound fishy. Have fun with your brother!

    ReplyDelete