Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Bleecker Street, March 2007


I went to a great little vegetarian restaurant with some folks from the Zendo a few weeks ago. We were having a meeting about the newsletter, which I help produce, but I kept getting distracted by all the great light in this restaurant. It streamed in through the front windows and reflected up onto the walls in squares and spangles, I suppose off the cutlery and glassware. I snuck away at one point to snap this photo of the fireplace, with the curled shadows from the fireplace tools creeping up the face.

Fortunately, the friends I was with know about my photography and my blog, so they didn't wonder what the heck I was up to.

I had an interesting adventure on Sunday. I am not a home-improvement whiz by any means, but with the caulk in my shower looking old and cracked and potentially leaky, I decided to tear it all out and re-caulk. I bought a tube of caulk and borrowed a caulking gun and did the whole tub. Here's what they don't tell you about caulk: It just keeps on coming. Once you open that tube, you've got to manage a slow leak of caulk from the tip, which means constant wiping or it will be all over your bathroom. And the fumes! Pee-yew! It was a little crazy, but I managed, and the job turned out well, which made me feel so...capable!

Maybe now I'll be inspired to tackle my kitchen faucet, which mysteriously shuts off of its own accord. Sometimes when I turn it on, it goes THUMP and the water stops. I have to turn it off and turn it on again, this time slowly. I've noticed that if I turn it on slowly it doesn't happen, but I still always turn it on quickly, because I want the faucet to do what I want, not to do what IT wants. Which says more about me than the faucet.

No comments: