Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Back Home Again


I am back in London, where the WiFi is blessedly fast. Woo hoo! Our flights back home were uneventful -- we passed through Abu Dhabi once again, and this time we made our connection. It made for a long day of flying (about 12 hours) but we endured.

Yesterday Dave and I sat on the patio at our hotel in the Seychelles and talked about how, for the most part, we had been spared rain. Almost as soon as we said it a series of little rainstorms developed around us, including this one across the bay. We still only got spattered with a few drops.

I felt a bit stir-crazy just sitting around all day waiting for our 5:30 p.m. taxi, so while Dave read I took a walk to a neighboring beach. I found four or five little shells (devoid of hermit crabs, I swear) and some beach glass. Isn't it funny how a beach can take a broken bottle, wear away the sharp edges and turn it into something desirable?

Dave and I also spent part of yesterday talking about the things that most surprised us about the Seychelles. One is the complete absence of sea gulls, at least from what we saw. Have you ever seen a beach environment with no sea gulls? Instead they have long-tailed tropicbirds (left), the closest thing I could find to a gull. Much more elegant, and better behaved, too.

I was also surprised by the predominance of French. I expected the Seychellois people to speak English, the Seychelles having been an English colony for more than 100 years. But the earliest settlers were French, and the French influence never waned.

Olga comes home this afternoon, and then it's back to our London routines!

7 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

Home again and with such beautiful pictures and memories. Did you bring home the beach glass?
I am sure Olga will be incredibly delighted to see her fellas.

Elizabeth said...

That is some bird. I'm glad that you're home safe and sound!

Lynne said...

Beautiful! I love the light on the bird. I much prefer them over gulls!

I love collecting sea glass. What colors did you find?

Welcome home!

Sharon said...

Beautiful water scene and that bird is so graceful looking.

Linda Sue said...

Olga will wonder if you are magic. appearing and disappearing like that. she will be so glad, as am I.The blues of your beach photo are delicious! Welcome home!

ellen abbott said...

That is so cool that y'all go to all these really beautiful places. What a life and I mean that in the best possible way.

The Bug said...

So glad you had a good time (& took us along)!