Sunday, October 14, 2018

Musk Mallow


Remember those wildflower seeds I planted in early spring? The ones that slumbered dormant in the chilly ground until I finally planted a second batch, which were equally unproductive? The ones we finally gave up on entirely before planting fully grown comfrey and cow parsley in their place?

Well, I never wrote about it, but we did finally get a few peculiar-looking sprouts in the wildflower garden. They never did much until this week, when one of them rewarded us with some completely unexpected flowers! It's a musk mallow, and I'm assuming it came from the seeds I planted because we don't have them anywhere else in the garden -- but who knows. I suppose it could just be a volunteer, too.

Anyway, we like it!

I had a busy day yesterday. Dave went to school to finish recording student auditions for an honor band competition, and I spent the morning cleaning the house and doing laundry and trimming some stuff in the garden. We've tried to leave the garden alone, even though everything's gone to seed, because plants like the teasel and cardoon and thistles and hydrangeas are interesting when they go all brown and dry and rattly. But finally yesterday I had to gently tidy up, trimming some uninteresting stragglers, because it was getting hard to walk around out there in places.

I'm reading "Boy Erased," a memoir about a boy from a fundamentalist religious family whose parents send him for gay conversion therapy after he comes out to them. Apparently it's being made into a movie, which is probably why we just got it in the library. It's a really good read, but all the Jesus-speak makes me tired and somewhat depressed. I can only take so much.

We're off school tomorrow and Tuesday for October break, and today we'll be boarding a train with Olga, bound for Salisbury. Yes, yes, I know -- beware the Novichok. That's what everyone's been telling me, in a mostly joking tone. I'll do my best not to touch any suspicious doorknobs.

9 comments:

Yorkshire Pudding said...

In London, the streets are paved with gold but in Salisbury they are smeared with "Novi" chocolate spread courtesy of Russia's own Willy Wonka. I am sorry to see the weather forecast for Salisbury isn't too pretty but I guess that you, Dave and the hound will still make the best of things. Have a nice break!

Colette said...

I really like the musk mallow photo, and I can imagine how exciting it is for you guys that some of the wildflower seeds actually came up. The joys of gardening!

Sharon said...

Have a great time in Salisbury. I'll be waiting for photos.

Ms. Moon said...

Have not read that book. Conversion therapy has got to be one of humanity's cruelest ideas yet.
Of course you know I love your musk mallow. Reminds me of okra blossoms, swamp mallow, hibiscus, confederate roses...all related. Beautiful, hardy plants.
Have a good journey!

Red said...

Wild seed packages can be a bust. Many times very invasive plants are pare of the seed package. They throw in seeds that are not suitable to the area. But it looks like you got some weird plant out of it.

ellen abbott said...

the flower looks like our marsh mallow but the leaves are decidedly different. religion is to me basically an evil thing and christianity has gone completely off the rails with all it's repression and unhealthy attitudes. condemnation of the other gendered and the abstinence only thing and the weird and creepy virginity balls where the girls pledge their virginity to their fathers. WTF. and blaming natural disasters on whatever group they currently hate the most. it sounds like a good book but I don't know if I could make it through all the Jesus talk.

Anonymous said...

Nice flower bloom you have there. Our weather is best fall here, lots of sunshine and warm temps. So our flowers are really blooming like crazy. Enjoy your break time in Salisbury!

Catalyst said...

That's a very pretty bloom. Have a great time in Salisbury.

Anonymous said...

I love the Mallow plant , we had a lot of growing around our property, there is also a yellow and a white variation I have heard but I've never found, I think wild flowers are natures gift and I love a surprise, I hope you hve a great day,