Monday, October 1, 2018

Urban Wandering with Cultural Edification


I spent all day yesterday out and about in London. It's been so long since I've had a wander with my camera that didn't also involve walking the dog or sticking to my neighborhood. I don't know why I've been in such a rut lately, but I should get out more often. It felt great to see some new sights!

I took the tube to Liverpool Street and walked west, with my eventual goal being the Museum of London. The morning was cool and sunny, and I found no shortage of photo opportunities as I circled the Barbican and the massive CityPoint complex near Moorgate.

The museum has a photography exhibit on at the moment called "London Nights," featuring numerous photographers and their efforts to capture the nocturnal spirit of the city from the Victorian era to the present day. It was a fascinating show -- standouts for me were Nick Turpin's "Through a Glass Darkly" series, in which he took incredible portraits of bus passengers through the steamy winter windows, and Philipp Ebeling's "London Ends" project focusing on suburbia. I bought both of their books, because that's what I desperately need -- more photography books. (NOT.)

I killed a couple of hours at the exhibit -- and why does the cafe at the Museum of London have a club sandwich called the New Yorker, I wonder, when there's no sandwich named after London (or anywhere else, for that matter)?

Anyway, I then kept walking through Smithfield and Farringdon, stocking up on photos all the way.


Did you know there's a big pineapple on the roof of the old Smithfield meat market? I didn't either -- but there it is. I know it's an old symbol of hospitality, but in this context it seems more like an advertisement for Hawaiian chicken or luau ham.

I got back home around 3 p.m. to find Olga literally vibrating with anticipation, she was so ready for a walk. After downloading my photos I took her to Fortune Green and the cemetery, and for some stupid reason I did exactly what I was careful not to do the day before -- I let her off her lead to chase squirrels through the underbrush. She did indeed damage her stitches, though not badly. I'm a terrible parent.

10 comments:

Yorkshire Pudding said...

I looked at Philipp (sic) Ebeling's pictures but you are a much better photographer Steve. Your inquisitiveness and eye for urban detail cannot be matched by Philipp Ebeling who is apparently unable to even spell his first name correctly.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

The above also applies to Nick Turpin...including the first name. Shouldn't he be Dick?

Marty said...

Not a bad parent, an indulgent one. It's hard to deny a pleasure when we know how much someone will enjoy it.

Ms. Moon said...

Funny how we put off doing things that we know will bring us pleasure. I'm glad you took a good photography walk. I'm going to be chuckling about Luau Ham all day.

Red said...

A city as large as London will give you opportunities for photos for a very long time.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you got to take a photography walk. I'm looking forward to the photos.

ellen abbott said...

yay for long walks indulging yourself. hard to deny such loving creatures as dogs.

Sharon said...

I was just mesmerized by Nick Turpin's photos. They are fantastic. It makes me wonder how he took them. Did he take them hand-held or did he set up a tripod at a bus stop. That sounds like a great exhibit and one I would have enjoyed seeing. As for the sandwich, that is a strange observation. It would seem more appropriate to serve sandwiches named for the boroughs of London...say 'the Mayfair' or the "Westminster".
P.S. Love the pineapple.

Catalyst said...

I really like the Nick Turpin photos. Thanks for tipping us to them.

jenny_o said...

There is nothing like some new scenery to make a person want to whip out a camera! That pineapple on the roof - what the what?? Too funny.

Let me just say that as the owner of two overweight cats, sometimes we love our pets too much! You are far from alone in that.