Monday, October 4, 2021

In the Breezeway


I'm getting downright lazy about carrying my camera these days. I took the photos in this post with my phone while walking the dog yesterday morning. The phone does a good job for such a compact device, but there's definitely a trade-off in resolution. I'd like to go back and shoot this shop again with the big camera.

We had a pretty nice day yesterday. I sat out in the garden with the dog in the morning and read. The New Yorker had an interesting article about the National Trust in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, which owns historic properties such as Georgian and Victorian country houses and estates. As you can imagine, given the era in which the older properties were built, many are historically tainted by slavery, having been built by slaveholders or people who profited from trade in human beings. The National Trust has been wrestling with how to recognize that, and of course their efforts have been a cultural lightning rod.

This is why I love The New Yorker -- they carry articles about issues I haven't seen elsewhere and present them comprehensively in a single narrative. Remind me of that the next time I bitch about the price.

"Why are you making me stand in the corner?"

I cleaned the house, including the dreaded bathroom, and then in the afternoon Dave and I walked Olga to the cemetery, where I experimented more with the 360-degree camera. (I keep calling it a 3-D camera, but that's something else entirely.)

Here are a couple of videos I made while at the cemetery, the first beneath the breezeway of the chapel (Dave is hiding behind a pillar because he didn't want to be in the shot) and the second in a circular garden where we watched another dog chasing its ball.




Remember to click on the video and drag the image around with your cursor to get the full effect.

I took several more but rather than embed them I'll give you links if you're really, really interested:

-- Throwing Olga's tennis ball at Fortune Green
-- Walking near some of the graves
-- Walking a shady path (moving the camera)
-- In the rose garden (looking very autumnal!)
-- Under a big tree

That's probably more 360-degree camera work than you ever wanted to see. I'm going to return it to work today so I won't subject you to any more, I promise.

Dave and I continued with "Squid Game" last night. We've almost finished it. It's a crazy show, and apparently it's burning up so much bandwidth in South Korea that the country's broadband provider has sued Netflix to pay for the additional Internet traffic!

40 comments:

Anonymous said...

While the technology it is rather clever, the quality of the image seems quite poor. Any idea why?

Steve Reed said...

I think it's just what the camera is capable of. A 360-video is a LOT of data, so maybe it can't manage as much detail? Or it could have to do with your connectivity and playback -- make sure you've chosen the highest video viewing quality (HD) in YouTube. (Gear symbol at bottom right of video)

gz said...

Love that shop doorway with dog!

Moving with Mitchell said...

We saw the preview for Squid Game last night and said, “Well, that looks crazy... and stressful.” The video quality is excellent and I especially love watching you and Dave try to avoid your close-ups. That photo of baby in the corner is wonderful.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

"Walking a Shady Path" sounds like a great title for your autobiography.

Susan said...

I made the mistake of moving it too fast! It's the next best thing to being there.

Mary said...

"Nobody puts Baby in the corner!" As my DH would say, "What movie?" It's a great photo.

Love Olga in "Under the Tree" - not wanting to go after her ball that she evidently thought you threw too far. Turning around and barking at you to tell you off. :)

Bob said...

I love that almost Optical Illusion Olga, and I love the 360-views, too!

Ms. Moon said...

"He's just ball-obsessed."
I had to laugh. Nice.
The 360 degree camera sort of turns filming on its head, doesn't it? "Wait- what's happening over here?" Pretty cool.

Ellen D. said...

That's terrific! I feel like the oldster saying, "what will they think of next?" It so interesting to me!

Anonymous said...

Those 360 videos are so interesting. What a wild view of your world in your hands.
Love the photo of Olga in the corner.

ellen abbott said...

the one you posted yesterday, I could move the cursor and the image moved. these today just showed the 360˚ in a straight line. funny to see you walking off at each edge of the picture. using the cursor to move the image didn't work.

Sharon said...

That camera is lots of fun. I enjoyed those videos, it's like standing there myself.
I watched a really good movie on Netflix this weekend. It's called "Official Secrets" and it's based on a true story that I knew nothing about. It happened in the lead up to the Iraq war and I think because it happened in the UK, we didn't hear about it in the states. How it ended was a big surprise to me.

Edna B said...

That camera is really quite unique. The videos are fun. In my younger days I probably would have liked to have one. Enjoy it, hugs, Edna B.

The Bug said...

What fun! Thanks for the tip about the quality - that helped a LOT!

Ed said...

I have never heard about a 360 degree camera. But I can think of a lot of applications that would be neat.

I also had never heard of the Squid Games until last night when it came up in conversations. I made a mental note to watch a few episodes and then here I read about it yet again. I will soon be part of the bandwidth problem I guess.

John Going Gently said...

Squid games has put Korean tv on a par with its cinema output

Kelly said...

I think the camera is quite clever and I'm glad you had the chance to play with it some and share that with us. Olga seems to be a fairly vocal girl.

Michael said...

I loved looking at the 360 videos. Technology is amazing!

Catalyst said...

Re: the price of the New Yorker, I said I was going to cancel my Washington Post subscription because it was going to be $150 per year. When I tried to do it this morning, they asked me why and I checked off that it was too expensive. They promptly offered me another year at half the price so I took it! You might try that with the New Yorker.

Steve Reed said...

It's a very cool doorway. I love that tile.

Steve Reed said...

"Squid Game" IS stressful, and violent, as I've mentioned. But it's entertaining!

Steve Reed said...

It could be yours too!

Steve Reed said...

Virtual reality!

Steve Reed said...

Ha! I never liked that movie much. Yeah, sometimes Olga thinks she wants to do something until she actually starts doing it. LOL

Steve Reed said...

She does match the floor, doesn't she?

Steve Reed said...

In a way it films TOO much. Like, part of filming (or taking a picture) is composing the shot. This doesn't allow any composition at all!

Steve Reed said...

It IS pretty fascinating and fun to play around with. I wouldn't want to make every video this way, though. :)

Steve Reed said...

It is really interesting. I love having a 360-degree record of one of our cemetery walks!

Steve Reed said...

That's weird! It sounds like the videos aren't knitted together for you. I don't get why they would be different for you than for everybody else. Maybe try it again another time and see if you get the same result?

Steve Reed said...

Or try another browser. If you care, that is. :)

Steve Reed said...

It is kind of like being there, isn't it? I'll try the "Official Secrets" movie.

Steve Reed said...

It's a fun little gizmo, but not something I need to buy!

Steve Reed said...

Oh, good. That works with any YouTube video if you ever get one that seems to be low quality.

Steve Reed said...

We've used it at school to film student performances. Hope you like "Squid Game." Be prepared for some blood!

Steve Reed said...

It makes me wonder what other TV shows they might have on offer!

Steve Reed said...

She never barks in the house, but when she gets excited (or frustrated) outside she speaks up!

Steve Reed said...

Isn't it? Can you imagine how mind-blowing that would have looked to us 20 or 30 years ago, if we'd been able to see into the future and what devices we'd have now?

Steve Reed said...

I've heard this from several people. Apparently the NYT does the same thing. Maybe this is why the New Yorker put me on auto-renew -- to deprive me of the opportunity to interact with anyone!

Ed said...

I watched the first episode and Red Light, Green Light. Yes, a healthy dose of blood was seen. But I do plan to watch more.