Monday, April 10, 2023

Battersea Bridge to Westminster


We had sunny weather again yesterday, and it looks like we might not have that again for a while, so I seized the opportunity to walk another portion of the Thames Path. I walked about four miles from Battersea Bridge to Westminster, along the river's south bank.

I started the walk by meandering around on the foreshore of the Thames, because the tide was out and the pebbly river bottom was exposed. It was very firm here, unlike farther downstream when it becomes perilously silty and muddy.


Then I got up on the riverside path and headed toward Battersea Park. Above is the beautiful but relatively fragile Albert Bridge.


The plants along the walkway were sending out their fat springtime buds.


I revisited the Battersea Power Station, where there were lots of people reclining on the grass and enjoying the sun. I didn't go inside, but Dave and I have made it a goal to go up to the viewing platform in the smokestack sometime this week.

This fun pavement game adorns an outdoor patio. It looks like the adults enjoy it as much as the kids!


I finally, FINALLY got to see the Sky Pool near the U.S. Embassy. It's 25 meters long and spans a gap between two residential buildings, 115 feet in the air. No one was swimming yesterday -- it's still too chilly -- but I can still imagine what a bizarre experience that must be. It's open only to residents of the surrounding buildings who are members of a fancy rooftop club, so I will probably never know for sure.


I was taken with the crazy reflections in this window of an office tower farther along the path. It's like a funhouse mirror. The yellow and white squares at left are full-sized passenger buses parked across the street!


I had a nice view of Westminster Palace and the Houses of Parliament across the river. You can also see the two white towers of Westminster Abbey, just to the left of the palace's tall Victoria Tower.


This is the National Covid Memorial Wall, which bears 220,000 red and pink hearts, each one representing someone who died with Covid on their death certificate. Anyone who thinks Covid is a mild illness should see this -- it's a good representation of the heavy toll the virus took, particularly in its early days.


And finally, near the Westminster tube station, this guy was handing out free Qur'ans, which seems like a potentially provocative thing to do on Easter. (Maybe he's always there.) But as he says on his signs, Muslims believe Jesus was a prophet -- just not the last or most important one. I liked the unifying approach of the message.

22 comments:

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Isn't a Qur'an something like a samosa? I would have asked for a vegetable one.

Moving with Mitchell said...

Your photos are wonderful. Another great walk that I'd love to do. What a beautiful day.

Andrew said...

The Battersea pavement fun appeals to me.

I guess trucks and buses are not allowed on the Albert Bridge.

All really nice photos.

Ed said...

As usual, I feel nothing but jealousy as I read about your Thames walks.

Did you grab a Quran? I know I would have. I read enough to know that we share Moses and Jesus with them but know very little about Mohammed. I think it would be interesting to read it, I guess as long as it was in English and not Arabic which I can't read.

Lynn Marie said...

Easter, Passover, and Ramadan were all occurring yesterday. Only happens three times in a century, so yesterday was a very special day for the religions of the world.

ellen abbott said...

the three Abrahamic religions. you'd think they would get along better being siblings and all.

220,000 covid deaths in the UK? over a million here. the pavement in the park looks like fun.

Boud said...

The three Abrahamic religions had a kind of planetary conjunction this year. I noticed a lot of reaching out by ministers of all three to the others. Modeling the behavior.

Great views of famous buildings there, thank you. That mid air pool is several nightmares at once --heights, water and glass!

NewRobin13 said...

That was a lovely walk, Steve. Thank you for taking us along through your beautiful photos.

Ellen D. said...

Another terrific walk, Steve! I think that pool looks awful - I would be so scared up there!
No religion for me. Ironic that religions that preach peace and love end up fighting and hateful so often it seems...
Enjoy your break!

Sharon said...

A perfect day for a long walk with so many interesting things to see. You got a great shot of that pool at the top of those buildings. That memorial wall is very sobering. That "game" in front of the power station is a clever idea.

Ms. Moon said...

Nice walk, Steve! I'll be looking forward to seeing pictures from the smokestack.
What IS it about religions always wanting to "educate" others on their own particular brand? And then of course, recruit them if possible. Although this guy could just be trying to simply educate, not recruit.

Kelly said...

When you say the Albert Bridge is fragile, exactly how do you mean that? Should the people in those cars feel nervous driving over it?

The Bug said...

That was an excellent ramble! But I wonder what in the world power flossing is (or am I misreading that in the patio game?).

The Padre said...

Outstanding Day For A Lovely Outing - Playing Catch Up Here - Slip Olga Girl An Uncle T Just Because Treat

Cheers

Allison said...

Beautiful walk! You have such interesting things to look at. You and Dave chose well when you headed off to London.

Margaret said...

What a beautiful and fascinating walk with the photos to illustrate it! Loved the reflections in the window, the pool and the bridge.

Michael said...

Oh my, the sky pool! I have never heard of such a thing. Amazing!

Red said...

Swimming pool 115 feet in the air. that's crazy. You won't catch me swimming there.

Catalyst said...

I'm with Red. That's insanity.

Jeanie said...

That skypool is fabulous. I'd LOVE to swim there. And wonderful photos, as always. It looks like a great walk. I'm so glad spring has landed in your world.

sparklingmerlot said...

The skypool would be an experience. I do like the idea of the three religions getting along but still think the whole thing a patriarchal nonsense designed to keep people under control.

River said...

A lovely walk, but all those hearts :(