Sunday, April 2, 2023

Triffids and a Flash of Green


I spent most of yesterday reading "The Day of the Triffids." It's not a very long book and I'm almost done. I've enjoyed it a lot. Kids who want dystopian fiction (and a surprising number do, even though we're basically LIVING it) might really enjoy it.

One big difference between the book and the movie is that in the film, the triffids -- ambulatory carnivorous plants with a fatal sting -- are aliens attacking from space. But in the book, they're creations of man, hybridized in a lab. So there's a commentary about the potentially self-destructive aspects of our own science.

Anyway, when I finally got myself off the couch, I took Olga for a walk. Three guesses where we went, and the first two don't count!


It's pretty muddy out there, as you can see, but at least the bulbs are still going strong.


I found this child's (I assume) drawing lying on the path. I can't make heads or tails of it. At first I thought it was in French, because one of the words looks like Avril, French for April. But the bottom seems to say "I saw a (something)." So who knows.


The cemetery was full of people walking tiny, tiny fluffy dogs -- I swear, more tiny dogs than I've ever seen in one place. Is this a thing now? Olga looks like a Bulgarian power lifter next to all those little wisps of dandelion fluff.


Dave was away all day at a student concert and didn't get home until about 7:30 p.m., by which time I was 3/4 of the way through watching "A Flash of Green," one of my favorite Florida movies. I'm sure I've written about it before -- it was adapted from a John D. MacDonald novel and produced in the early 1980's for "American Playhouse," starring Ed Harris and Blair Brown. For a long time it wasn't easily available -- I used to have it on an old VHS tape but I could never get it on DVD. Now I see it can be streamed through Amazon, at least in the United States.

It's all about corruption and small-town politics and the push to develop Florida, loosely based on the construction of Bird Key in Sarasota. I love it because even though it takes place in the early 1960s, before I was born, it reminds me of the Florida of my early childhood -- the shell marl roads, the trailer parks, the neon signs, the old cars, the empty beaches, the wildlife. Plus the main character is a newspaper reporter, though his reporting career is more eventful than mine ever was!

19 comments:

River said...

I like that stacked stones gravemarker Olga is standing next to.
I saw The Day of the Triffids so long ago I can't remember a thing about it.

Moving with Mitchell said...

Will see if I can download Day of the Triffids for a quick read. That final photo of Olga is a keeper (of many keepers). I love the ”stacked stones” grave.

Coppa's girl said...

I remember reading "The Day of the Triffids" as a young teenager and frightening myself! When I saw the film years later, it all seemed rather tame and the triffids didn't seem scary at all.
What a lucky girl Olga is to have such long and interesting walks. My dog, Indy, can't walk far now that she has been diagnosed with cancer in her paw and leg. Much of the time she's hopping around holding the "poorly paw" up. It gets her a lot of fuss and attention from every one we meet and I'm sure she does it for effect most of the time!

Bob said...

I got Triffids confused with Tribbles for a hot second there.

Love that stone marker Olga posed in front of; very cool.

And I thought the whole tiny dog as an accessory phase was over.

Ed said...

I'm not surprised, I've been walking though cemeteries for years. At least in this town, sidewalks have always seemed like an afterthought for upkeep. Vast areas don't even have them and those that do park across them or use them as an extension of their lawn and even then, they are often so heaved and broken that you have to focus intently on your feet just to walk down them. Cemeteries on the other hand are full of nice paths, no traffic unless I'm there during a funeral and even then, easily avoidable and it is very peaceful. But I have to admit that it would bug me to be planted in one knowing that I would be used as a dogs toilet for eternity. I know you pick up after Olga but around here, nobody does unless someone is watching.

Flash of Green seems interesting. My great grandparents lived through that period of time down near Fort Meyers. Their trailer house complex is no longer there. I'll have to check it out.

Andrew said...

I love the last photo of Olga. Sixties, before you were born Steve. Ok.

Boud said...

I too here's double take at the comment about before you were born..and I'm hoping someone can decipher the writing.

Boud said...

I typed "did a" not "here's", I swear.

Ms. Moon said...

I've never seen "Flash of Green" but I think I would like to. I was alive in the sixties.
Tiny, tiny fluffy dogs? Maybe they are going to be the ones to take over the world.

ellen abbott said...

those stacked blocks are an interesting monument.I don't think I've ever seen the Day of the Triffids which I actually find hard to believe since It sounds so familiar. One of those in the cultural memory I guess.

Sharon said...

I had totally forgotten about the actress Blair Brown. I liked seeing her in movies. It's looking very muddy for your walk with Olga. I'm sure she doesn't mind but it must be hard on your shoes.

NewRobin13 said...

The stacked stones are so interesting. I like how Olga is posing with them.
I think about the "self-destructive aspects of our own science" quite often. The news is filled with it everyday. I think we are living with that stuff on a daily basis.

Ellen D. said...

I think the child is spelling out their name and trying to come up with words for each letter. I can't make out any of the words. I think her name would be ISAURE OUI which matches with what she wrote on the bottom. That's my guess!

Kelly said...

Best I can tell, the note appears to be an acronym of sorts using the letters in the two words at the bottom, the second of which looks like "oui". So yes, I believe it's all French!

I love ALL the Olga photos today and I'm glad you enjoyed the book!

Margaret said...

I at the top isn't French but it looks like d'u avril later on in the note. It will have to remain a mystery, I'm afraid!

John Going Gently said...

I loved the book and for an English sci-fi film, it was cracking

Catalyst said...

I remember reading many of the Travis McGee novels of MacDonald back in the day. They were great!

Jeanie said...

I remember that title from my PBS days but not that particular episode. Sounds interesting. That Olga! And thanks -- tribbles and triffids!

Colette said...

Thanks for the tip, I must see that movie!