Saturday, May 6, 2023

Mysteries, Medical and Otherwise


Not sure what happened at our Domino's pizza on the high street to require that it be cordoned off with hazard tape. At first I thought some type of crime might have occurred, but there's nothing in the news. Maybe they just got a paint job or a new sign or something.

Well, yesterday wound up being far more exciting than any of us intended. Right after I clicked "publish" on my last post, Dave left for school -- and within minutes came home again. He'd been complaining of pain in his abdomen, which with his Crohn's is not all that unusual, but it was worse than normal and he didn't feel he could go to work. He has some untreated hernias and the pain seemed to be associated with those, so in an abundance of caution we went to the emergency room (or A&E, as it's called here in England, for "accident and emergency").

We were both concerned that the hernias may have become constricted or his bowels otherwise blocked. I went to the hospital with him and we sat together until about 11 a.m. By then he'd been seen by a nurse and sent for a CAT scan. I went on to work while he waited for the scan results.


This is a painting in the emergency department. Is that not the ugliest thing you've ever seen? There's actually a lot of nice art at this hospital -- but this piece, not so much.

Anyway, poor Dave wound up waiting around until 4 p.m., when the doctor finally told him there was no visible obstruction. His blood tests showed slightly elevated levels of inflammation. The doctor offered to keep him overnight to treat him for the pain, but Dave elected to come home. He seems better today.

Crohn's -- the adventure never ends.


I, meanwhile, had a busy half-day at work, with everyone checking out books for the long weekend. I finished the inventory up through the 800s, still with just a handful of missing materials. Most of the middle schoolers are away on trips next week, so I should be able to do a lot more then.

On the way home I passed this wall of wisteria, which smelled heavenly.

We are both looking forward to yet another long weekend -- we have Monday off in celebration of today's coronation, which we will probably watch on TV, because how often do you get to see something like that? But I'm not going to join the crowds in Westminster, especially as the weather might be iffy. I feel a little bad for Charles and Camilla because there seems to be a distinct lack of public enthusiasm, but I suppose they're laughing all the way to the bank, as the saying goes. (We did put up a coronation display in the library and yesterday our school cafeteria served its take on "coronation quiche," so we're doing our part!)

28 comments:

sparklingmerlot said...

Poor Dave. I have heard that Crohn's is just awful. Not just a bit of a tummy ache.
Enjoy the coronation. It is being televised live tonight. I won't be watching. I am sure I can catch up on all the good bits later.
The wisteria is glorious.

Rachel Phillips said...

There is masses of enthusiasm for the Coronation here with lots of things happening over the Bank Holiday. I don't know about lack of enthusiasm, perhaps that is just what the media wants to stir up but I wouldn't know as I do not watch the news.

Moving with Mitchell said...

That wisteria is gorgeous. Wish I could smell it. What a crappy day for Dave and you. Hope he's feeling much better.

Moving with Mitchell said...

And another thing (or two): That painting is an awful choice for an emergency room. All Domino's should always be cordoned off with hazard tape.

River said...

The wisteria does look amazing but I'm glad I can't smell it through my screen. I have allergies.
Sorry to hear Dave isn't so well right now. I've heard crohn's is nasty and needs particular care.

Boud said...

I hope Dave does better, that's a miserable chronic ailment.

I watched the last Coronation on TV, the only owners of a TV on the street having invited everyone in to watch! It was all day, and by mid afternoon there were kids sleeping all over, not used to screen time. Pouring rain.

Bob said...

A house across the road from us has a massive wisteria bush/shrub/plant and it's glorious when it blooms.

Ms. Moon said...

Poor Dave! And I thought that perhaps he was having a kidney stone! I am glad it was not that but so sorry he has to go through these things. I have not watched one minute of the coronation. No particular reason just too busy, I guess.

Marcia LaRue said...

I woke up at 6 a.m., so I have been watching what is remaining of the coronation! Charles looks (to me) scared and tired! Camilla is probably thinking: holy shit, I'm the damned queen!

gz said...

Hope Dave is feeling better.
Coronations seem to have a tradition of rain...even longer than the relatively young tradition of a public coronation!!

Sharon said...

Sorry about the stressful day but glad it was nothing serious. I hope he is feeling better now.
I got up very early this morning and watched the coronation. As you say, a bit of very rare history. It was fascinating.

ellen abbott said...

I guess I'm glad they didn't find anything about Dave. I am glad they didn't find anything new and terrible but it sucks when they just shrug and say 'don't know'. that wisteria is beautiful. ours have been done blooming for a while now.

I'm not watching the coronation. don't care about the British monarchy and I really don't understand the American fascination with it.

NewRobin13 said...

So sorry to read about Dave's pain and ER visit. Crohn's is such a paintful bummer. I hope he is doing well today.
I just watched the crowning of the King in a short video in the NYTimes. That crown is crazy big and awkward. Such an interesting tradition.
Our wisteria is still in the almost leafing out and almost budding stage.

Red said...

You hit the nail on the head when you describe Crohns as a never ending adventure. Schools take advantage of celebrations as a teachable moment.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Everybody I know likes Charles. We have all grown up with him and we wish him well in the years ahead. I am so relieved that the coronation went smoothly and there were no nasty incidents involving publicity seekers or wicked terrorists. Three cheers for The King! Hip-hip-hooray! Hip-hip-hooray! Hip-hip-hooray!

Sorry to hear about Dave's Crohn's flare up.

Jennifer said...

I hope Dave feels better. Crohn's sucks.

Margaret said...

That painting is certainly not restful as art should be in a medical facility! Hope Dave continues to feel better. What a nasty condition Crohn's is! I have had several students with severe cases of it. Miserable.

jenny_o said...

I'm going to go against the general opinion and state that I like that painting! I would especially like it in a hospital where I want something to take my mind off whatever I'm there for. For about twenty years now, our hospital main floor has hung local paintings along the corridors and I always try to stop and see what is new. There's a wide variety and they are all for sale.

I hope Dave feels better soon. I don't know if a person ever gets used to a chronic condition that can flare up whenever it wants. I have mild IBS (mild because I've found many of my triggers and avoid them) but sometimes it's there for no apparent reason and it sucks. Not comparing that with the severity of Crohn's, but the unpredictability can be similar and I feel for Dave.

Andrew said...

Metal work in the Chesterfield Dominos' car park was being painted three days ago.

Northerners don't seem to like the royals, so minimum public display.

Kelly said...

Poor Dave. I hope it's just the inflammation and he continues to feel better.

The painting doesn't seem serene enough for an emergency department. It should be a nice landscape, or puppies and kittens.

Allison said...

Have you read the recipe for the Coronation Quiche? Talk about a calorie bomb, and not heart healthy! Lard! Double cream! It all sounds delicious, but I think I would prefer the Coronation Chicken Salad from Queen Elizabeth's do. Here's hoping Dave improves and stays that way.

Ellen D. said...

Poor Dave. Glad he got to come home but sorry it took a long painful day in the ER. One thing we learned years ago when my middle son had emergency brain surgery - if it takes a long time in the ER, then you don't have an urgent problem. They do rush you if you are in immediate danger. So it's a blessing and a curse when you have to wait hours in the ER. ;)

Catalyst said...

You might have asked that guy in the yellow garment sitting next to the tape what it was all about.

I had a friend once who suffered from Crohn's and she did suffer.

I read one recipe for Coronation Quiche, which apparently is Charles and Camilla's favorite. I decided to leave it to them. Think I'd prefer the Coronation Chicken Salad, with toasted almonds and mango chutney.

Fresca said...

When I saw Emma Thompson at the coronation, I thought—hey, I know her neighbor! (You!)
I felt so close. 🙄😄
The Guardian summed up how I felt: it was ludicrous, yet magnificent.

I hope Dave feels better.

That art looks like the pavement after a car accident.

Debby said...

Oh. Poor Dave! That Crohn's is a terrible affliction. I wondered how you fared with the coronation hoopla! Enjoy your extra day off.

Debby said...

Ps Domino's pizza is a crime.

Pixie said...

I hope Dave is feeling better. I forgot about the coronation today until after it was over. It's sort of anticlimactic when in you're in your seventies I think.

Jeanie said...

I've been away so I'm catching up and I hope by now Dave is back to normal and much improved. That's always scary. (And that painting doesn't help calm a person, does it?). That wisteria -- wow. We can't seem to grow it here and I love it.