Thursday, March 14, 2024

Butternuts and Pirate Monkeys


I've photographed these windows before, in context as part of the shopfront. But when I passed them a couple of weeks ago I thought I'd do a close-up. They need a good cleaning, and some of them seem like they may have a second layer of yellowed plastic behind them, and that duct-tape repair job at upper right has got to go -- but still, don't you love them?

And with that, let's take a look at some other random photos I've stacked up over the past several weeks.


My neighbor had this sitting out with her trash. I had no idea what a "Butternut Box" was, and the instruction to "open and sniff" seemed a little strange. (No thanks!) Turns out it's a brand of designer dog food. Her dog is obviously eating better -- or at least more expensively -- than Olga.


When I went to see the Winter Lights at Battersea Power Station a couple of weeks ago, I was amused to find this pigeon strutting around inside Starbucks, looking for crumbs. That's a pretty enterprising bird. Not only was it inside the power station, but it was also inside an enclosed shop where it knew there would be food. There's a reason pigeons dominate the urban landscape.


A student returned this book to the library with color-coded sticky notes inside the front cover. I suppose they were using those colors to gauge their reactions as they read? Doesn't seem like there would be many "happy/yay! 😊" moments in this book -- at least not until the end.


Found this eye-catching sticker on a street sign. CSKA Sofia is a football club in Bulgaria, not to be confused with CSKA 1948 Sofia. (I didn't know any of this until I looked it up.)


Another fun sticker -- Pirate Monkey!


Here's Olga with some big, colorful graffiti we found last weekend. This wall used to be regularly buffed (painted over) so I'm not sure how long the graffiti will last. Seems like maintenance has diminished lately.


Finally, as I walked home from work a few nights ago, this gigantic tractor-trailer was trying to back into a parking bay behind and beneath the new apartment buildings on West End Lane. It was blocking the roadway all the way across, with a couple of guys directing, and this was during evening rush hour. I was surprised more people weren't complaining or honking but they seemed to take it in their stride. I guess driving in the big city presents plenty of obstacles like this. I'm glad no one was in an ambulance trying to get by.

16 comments:

gz said...

Beautiful windows..sadly in need of tlc.

I like the graffiti art wall. Some of those are not just Tags, there is a lot of work there. Is it specifically a wall for this?

Poppypatchwork said...

I love the windows and like you I would love to see them restored, they are beautiful and would be stunning.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

A typical Reedesque collection! I wish all books had little summary post-it notes at the front so we wouldn't have to spend hours reading the actual text. I wonder what post-it notes would say at the front of "The Bible"?

Andrew said...

Very nice windows indeed.
You are sparing your ageing Olga Butternut Box food for her best food possible?
Nice and interesting photos.

Bob said...

I love the Deco windows and hope they will be repaired one day.
Smart, resourceful bird.
And I love the concise yet cogent book review.

Ms. Moon said...

I'm assuming that the captured American prisoner of war died at the end after being released. Perhaps? Or maybe a fellow prisoner. Gosh darn it, now I want to read the book.
I probably won't.
Who names a dogfood brand "butternut"? Well, someone, obviously.
Those windows really are pretty. They remind me of the windows inside a Monticello building that is now an antique store. They are original to the early years of the building when that part was used as a residence.

Red said...

Now that kid is a great reader...one who thinks about what they read.

Sharon said...

That giant purple head looks like it's about to take a bite out of Olga but she doesn't seem too worried.
I love that window. That is well worth restoring and keeping. Backing that big truck into that space would be a serious challenge. I'll leave that to the experts.

Kelly said...

I know I've said this before, but Olga is SUCH a good sport about posing.

I like the pirate monkey. 😃

Liam Ryan said...

Hello.,
I discovered your blog via Yael's blog post as I liked your comments there.
Anyway, you're a librarian in London ... hmmm, maybe our paths have crossed!!
What a strange thing to leave in the front page of the book.
Liam,

Susan said...

Your walks in the city always produce lots of photo opportunities. The windows are beautiful. The bird inside Starbucks is funny. In my Starbucks, people would be alarmed and working to move it outside. I remember being in the tropics and small birds flying around the cafe.

Jeanie said...

That's a huge truck for a narrow street! I always love your random photos. And those windows are especially lovely. I love the tags on the book -- I hope the prisoner was released and that accounted for the Happy Yea!

Catalyst said...

That's a beautiful building behind the big truck.

Margaret said...

The windows are lovely and should be restored. There are probably many gorgeous (and old) windows and buildings in England that could use some TLC which makes it a herculean task.

Debby said...

You do 'random' better than anyone I know.

Steve Reed said...

GZ: The other side of that wall is a basketball court where graffiti is apparently allowed. But on this side it will be covered pretty quickly, I suspect.

Poppy: I hope whoever takes that shopfront next doesn't just rip them out! Surely not!

YP: Adultery! Fornication! Burning in a lake of fire!

Andrew: Olga eats plain old canned food and she LOVES it.

Bob: I think it's color-coding for notes that will then be attached to pages. Like, a reminder that sad events are tagged with blue, happy ones with green. Know what I mean?

Ms Moon: I was assuming he gets released at the end and thus, a happy ending. I don't think those notes necessarily go in order of plot. But maybe I'm just being optimistic.

Red: They definitely seem to be paying attention!

Sharon: I felt a bit bad for the driver. So much pressure, in such a public place!

Kelly: She really is very good about standing still, though I think she hates it.

Liam: Welcome to the blog! If you're into libraries you've come to the right place. :)

Susan: I was surprised at how everyone just took that bird in stride. I suppose the power station must remove them from time to time. (I don't want to think about how that might happen.)

Jeanie: That's what I was guessing, but it really is just a guess!

Catalyst: Our "high street" (main shopping street) is lined with buildings like that.

Margaret: A lot of the stained glass windows you see in antique shops in America have been removed from structures torn down here. They were very common in Victorian-era houses.

Debby: I have a good head for random! LOL