Sunday, April 28, 2024

Dollis Valley Greenwalk, Part 2


Yesterday was a rather gloomy day, but it was fairly dry in the morning so I decided to take a walk. I wanted to finish the Dollis Valley Greenwalk, which you may remember I started at the beginning of the month.

I'd already walked the first half, from Golders Green to Totteridge & Whetstone. So I took the bus and tube up to where I'd ended, picked up the trail again and kept heading north. Almost immediately it became a very grassy walk through parkland and past uninteresting housing estates. I encountered damp dog-walkers, frolicking muddy canines and kids on bicycles.


I didn't find much to photograph -- even Dollis Brook was narrow and unimpressive along this stretch.

Eventually things got even more rural and I wasn't seeing any houses. The path turned westward and I was walking through fields and along hedgerows. The Greenwalk joined the London Loop, the large circular path around outer London that I walked several years ago. So I'd been on this section of the path before, and I kept waiting to recognize something familiar -- but I never did. There just aren't many landmarks.


This is a cuckoo flower (Cardamine pratensis), also called lady's smock, mayflower and a bunch of other names. I found clumps of them all along the more rural parts of my walk. I also came across a field of yellow-blooming cowslip, and saw lots of buttercups, wild garlic and other spring flowers.

Eventually the section of Dollis Brook I was following was mostly buried in shrubbery and hedgerows, and in the rare moments that I saw it, it was no more than a rivulet. I came to the end of the walk at the edge of Totteridge Fields, and crossed some busy roads and adjacent farmland (on a public path) to reach The Ridgeway in Mill Hill.


The Ridgeway, as you might have guessed from the name, runs along a high point and offers expansive views across North London, including Wembley Stadium in the distance. (Similar to the view I got from nearby Sunny Hill Park a couple of years ago.)


In Mill Hill I came across an inviting-looking pub called the Three Hammers, so I stopped in and had a pint and a hamburger for lunch. They have a "Psychic Night" on Wednesdays -- an interesting alternative to the typical pub quiz for bringing in patrons! I predict I won't go.

From there I caught a bus to the Mill Hill East station. I thought it would be fun to take the tube from there, thus passing over the arched brick viaduct I walked beneath on my first leg of the Greenwalk earlier this month. My plan was to make a video to share. But to be honest, the whole thing was such a non-event -- I was over the viaduct before I realized it, and it didn't seem that high up from the train. Oh well.

I took the tube to Finchley and then caught a bus home from there. Altogether I think I walked five or six miles. Dollis Valley done!

21 comments:

gz said...

It is interesting to see something almost rural so near to built up London.
A remnant of what was between the settlements that have been swallowed up by Greater London

Sue in Suffolk said...

You have better places for walking in London than we do out here in rural Suffolk!

Moving with Mitchell said...

It’s wonderful how quickly you leave urban and find rural in London. I wonder what “Psychic Night” entails - although I don’t wonder enough to want to participate.

River said...

Dollis Valley done and probably never again? I have no idea what buttercups and cowslips look like so I shall visit google images and find out.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

With your many walks and your inquisitiveness, I have little doubt that you know London better than the vast majority of Londoners. You have surely earned the right to dress like a pearly king while singing "The Lambeth Walk"...
Once you get down Lambeth way
Ev'ry evening, ev'ry day,
You'll find yourself
Doin' the Lambeth walk.

Bob said...

I imagine it was quite peaceful to be so near the city and yet a world away.

Debby said...

I can't wait until Thursday morning's post to find out if you really didn't go to Psychic night. You could be a psychic.

Boud said...

This sounds like one of the less exciting walks. Despite wildflowers.

Ellen D. said...

It's nice that there is still a bit of country so near the city. A quiet getaway! Sounds like a peaceful hike.

Ms. Moon said...

You put a gloomy day to purpose! Good for you.

The Bug said...

Once again, thanks for taking us with you! Like folks who've already commented, it's interesting how quickly London turns to rural (although I guess I don't really know how long the tube ride was).

Sharon said...

That pub is very inviting. It would have drawn me in too. It does look very damp and chilly in these photos. It makes me appreciate our fine weather the last few days here in AZ.

ellen abbott said...

pretty little flower poking up out of the grass. it's really kind of amazing to me that there is still rural land around London compared to Houston so I looked up some statistics. Houston has a little over 2 million people to London's almost 9 million and yet Houston encompasses 640 sq miles to London's 607.

Susan said...

Walking 5-6 miles in one day is very impressive. The city has maintained good green space as you show in this post. The stream, trees and grassy woodland areas are thriving in London. Your Pub lunch sounds terrific.

Kelly said...

"I predict I won't go." That made me laugh!! 😂 It sounds like you had a lovely walk.

Tasker Dunham said...

Yet again, you show us that London is not all tarmac, stone, bricks and mortar.

Jeanie said...

What is the big arch (over Wembley, I think?) for? I find it impressive but confusing! That pub looks terrific and your lunch sounds very good!

Margaret said...

But did you look into your crystal ball to predict that? ;) That's a great walk; I only do about 3 miles or so.

Liam Ryan said...

Enjoyed reading this. The cuckoo flower is pretty. Put more flower photos!!
I think I'll add the greenwalk to my list of things to do .

Catalyst said...

I love the look of the "Three Hammers" pub. And the food on their menu looks equally inviting.

Red said...

You saw a lot in those 5 or 6 miles.