Tuesday, July 28, 2026

Bailey


Meet the newest member of our household -- Bailey.

As you know we applied several days ago to adopt her from a local dog charity called All Dogs Matter. We got Olga from the same organization back in 2012, so it was only natural for us to return to them. The process unfolded smoothly -- because they know we've been dog owners in the past -- and yesterday the woman who runs the group told us we could come and get Bailey at their kennels in Waltham Abbey in far northeast London.

We were initially thinking we might go Wednesday, because Dave had Zoom meetings yesterday and today for school. But I volunteered to go on my own, because I wanted her here as soon as possible -- so that's what we did. (I also picked up Olga on my own, so there was precedent for this!)


I met Bailey at the shelter and walked her around the grounds, and played with her a bit. Here's what we know: She's about a year and a half old, she's had at least one litter of puppies and she's only recently coming out of heat. She was apparently abandoned after producing those puppies. She has a microchip but it's blank -- there's no owner information registered -- and the chip itself is Romanian. We don't know whether this means Bailey came from Romania, or whether someone imported Romanian chips and implanted them here.

There's been some confusion over her name. The shelter office named her Bailey and put her on their web site with that name. But apparently the carers at the kennel called her Tali, as in Natalia, because of her Romanian connection. Dave and I had already agreed that Bailey seems a good name so I think we're going to keep it. The dog doesn't seem to know either name, so I'm not sure it matters to her.

After meeting her, I called the same taxi service that I took from the tube station to the shelter, and a nice guy named Graham who is a fellow Staffy enthusiast himself drove me from Waltham Abbey all the way back to West Hampstead, at what seemed to me a bargain rate. The odyssey took all afternoon but I finally got Bailey home around 4 p.m.


Dave, meanwhile, was out buying some supplies, including food, treats and poop bags. He gave Bailey a stuffed hot dog with a tuggy rope inside, and she promptly eviscerated it (as you'll see in the video below). I got out Olga's old Kongs and her old bed, and we still have some of her other belongings, so we're good to go with dog equipment.

Bailey is about the same weight as Olga, but her legs are shorter and she's a bit stockier.

I told Dave a better name for her might be Sherman or Pershing. He didn't get the tank reference, but she really is shaped like a tank. Or, as Dave said, a torpedo.


So now, it's getting-to-know-you time in the PapenReed household! Bailey has already showed a fondness for Dave's chair, which was also one of Olga's favorite retreats.

I'm both excited to have Bailey with us and sad, deeply sad, that she's not Olga. I know that's unfair and I think the feeling will go away with time, but it is what it is. Bailey seems more hyper-vigilant and laser-focused, with a bit of ADHD, but I think some of that will subside as she relaxes. 

The rescue people made a big deal about Bailey's nervousness around other dogs. They said she has a strong "prey instinct" and always chases squirrels and cats (which, again, is something we're used to). Yesterday evening, as we watched TV in the living room, she kept leaping at houseflies.

Apparently she doesn't tolerate yappy dogs very well and the rescuers recommended I keep her on a lead while walking. She's still very young, so I'm hopeful that as she grows up and calms down, and gets more comfortable in our household, she'll be a little less triggered by other dogs and we can eventually let her off-lead. I got such joy from watching Olga romp through the woods on Hampstead Heath that I can't imagine not doing the same with Bailey. Just not right away.

Meanwhile, I'm thinking I'll order one of those long leads from Amazon so she will be attached to me but with some freedom to run.


She's got a lot of puppy energy but she seems well housebroken and she's shown no destructive tendencies, aside from thoroughly killing her toys. Here's what she looks like as I'm typing this post:

44 comments:

  1. Hello Bailey - she's a lucky girl to end up in your home. Hope you have lots of fun together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy for you all....a new friend for you and Dave, and a loving home for Bailey!
    I have never let the " white menace" off the lead, but I do use an extending lead on country walks...gives him a lot more leeway to move about and sniff etc. I would recommend not using one by roads. though, as it is easy to loosen it if not concentrating!!
    Wishing you many happy years with Bailey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the new addition to the family. We can now look forward to lots of happy dog posts in addition to the regular garden, flowers and caterpillar posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many congratulations Steve! Your face! You look as happy as Bailey but Dave's face says that Bailey has just farted! Thumbs up to Graham the taxi driver. I hope that Bailey gives you at least half the fulfilment you received from Olga though, as you suggest, comparisons are unfair. She's a different dog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations (and to Bailey on lucking into a great home). As for soft toys...who needs stuffing anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your smile says it all, I still think of Grace, they find a special spot in your heart, the hardest part is remembering you have a puppy not an older dog, enjoy your new life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it when people get a dog from a rescue centre, my own dog is a rescue, I've had him ten years and love him to bits.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome Bailey, looking forward to see a lot more of you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Many congratulations to the new parents. Bailey is lovely, full of energy and curiosity. Having a young dog after years of a gradually slowing older dog is quite a jolt, but great fun. Eviscerating toys is all part of the joy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This warms my heart. I’m already in love with Bailey. She looks so happy to be with you. Imagine what she’s thinking as she freely explores the garden. What a lucky family. I look forward to getting to know her through you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful life the lovely Bailey will have! And I'm glad you're familiar w/shelter dogs. Takes them a bit to get settled; so many returned, sadly, b/c they haven't "calmed down." (I volunteer at a shelter.) You'll always think of Olga. I think I always miss a dog who has passed but I honor their life by adopting another.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy days for all of you. Bailey is a teenager, a bit of a handful, but will calm down eventually ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are such a lovely charity , my much loved little Bichon came from them and had 15 happy years with me his little successor Betty is a joy and delight also an All Dogs Matter rescue . So glad Bailey will have a loving home and hopefully help fill some of the Olga shaped hole !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations, she is adorable, and just look at her happy face on that taxi ride home with you. She knows she has fallen on her feet at last. We had a JR that obliterated any toy that had a squeak, just to get the little plastic squeaky thing out of it. Once that was popped she was happy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Welcome Bailey!! This is such wonderful news, Steve. Congratulations to all three of you!

    I understand the sadness about Olga, but the best way to honor her memory is to make a great home for another dog in need. And just think of all the fun times you can have with her now that you're retired! I can't wait to read all about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is indeed a day of joy! Welcome to Bailey becoming part of such a loving family!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations! Bailey has a wonderful new home!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Bailey, you won the adoption lottery! It won't be long before she's established in the family and the not-Olga pangs recede. I think you're both happy with your new family member.

    ReplyDelete
  19. She's beautiful. The rule of threes. Three days, three weeks, three months. The first three days are the hardest, the next three weeks things settle down, they start to trust you after three months, except for Charlie, it took a year for him to trust us.
    She is a lucky dog.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations on your new family member. Sweet Bailey appears to be settling in nicely. She looks quite happy sitting with Dave in the leather chair and then curled up sleeping after her busy day.
    A long lead is also good for teaching recall which will be important when she is off lead and running in the parks. Walking London streets and parks with Baily will be great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have to imagine a shelter dog is like a child that wasn't birthed. It takes some time for both you and her to get to know each other and feel comfortable. From what I have read here about your relationship with Olga, being comfortable with each other will come soon as the trust develops. Congratulations on your new dog!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yay! A happy day for Bailey AND Steve and Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  23. She's adorable, especially sleeping! 😁
    It looks like she'll have a field day roaming her now yard.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Over The Moon - And Check Our Your Smile !! Congrats On Bailey Bird And I Believe That Reminiscing Over Queen Olga Is A Flipping Ok - Once She Realized That This Is Home , After Being Shipped Around , She Is Going To Be An Absolute Delight - Yes , It Will Take Time But You Are Full Of Free Time My Man - Couldn't Be Happier For You & Mr Dave - So Looking Forward To The Daily Photos , Not That I Was Opposed To The Garden Photos This Summer

    Happy Paws ,
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  25. Staffies always seem to be smiling and Bailey is smiling from ear to ear! She is adorable!
    I imagine she has been spayed and has had all her necessary shots before she could leave the rescue!
    Looking forward to seeing how she integrates into your home ... ♥️

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congratulations! Bailey is a cute bundle of energy. You two are going to have som much fun this week getting her settled in. She looks happy to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Welcome, Bailey! You don't know it yet but you are just about the luckiest little doggie girl in the world.
    She's gorgeous! And it is so natural for you to feel this way about her not being Olga. But I think of it like this- you loved Olga so much and she brought you and Dave so much joy that you wanted to have that sort of love and energy in your lives again. You will never replace Olga, you will only add to the love in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Well of course you were approved. Bailey checking out her new digs, she looks very happy to be there. The foxes and cats are in for a big surprise. It might be the squeeky in the hot dog toy that she was after. My sister had a dog that every new toy that had a squeeky in it, it was removed promptly and first thing. You will always miss Olga but I think maybe not so poignantly after you form an attachment to Bailey.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congrats! Bailey is so lucky to end up with you and Dave. Wishing you all many happy adventures together. I love how she is sniffing every part of your garden - exploring her new home.

    ReplyDelete
  30. She's a very handsome dog-- young and energetic; she already looks very comfortable at your place. You'll establish new routines with her and I'm excited for more Bailey tales! Mari has destroyed so many cat toys with catnip in them that I've given up.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Congratulations! Irene in Arizona

    ReplyDelete
  32. You look so happy - and I perfectly understand the sadness, too. When we got Pukky after my Mimi had to be put to sleep, I tried very hard not to unfairly comparing the new cat to my baby but couldn‘t always avoid it. And although I loved Pukky very much, too, she was never (and never was meant to be) a replacement for Mimi, but her successor.
    Baily will need love, time and patience but you and Dave are rhe right people to give her all that.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'll admit to tearing up when I saw that photo of you with Bailey. You've needed a loving dog in your life again. Knowing all that has come before with your beloved Olga it is easy for me to understand your conflicting feelings. I've been there. Luckily, love isn't measured out in one-time doses. Clearly, you and Dave have plenty to go around and Bailey is going to be the fortunate recipient of a terrific home with good people.
    As for her treatment of the stuffy (as is true with my staffy): Must disassembled!!
    All the best with getting to know each other--quirks and all. x

    ReplyDelete
  34. All the best to you, Dave, and Bailey. She's an interesting looking dog, big smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Lucky Bailey and lucky you! Look forward to seeing much more of her.
    Xoxo
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  36. You sound excited to have Bailey. All best with this dog.

    ReplyDelete
  37. This is BIG NEWS! You are dog people and I'm so glad she's found a home like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love her!!! I'm so excited for ALL of you and look forward to getting to know her. As her personality makes itself known you will quit making comparisons to Olga. You have plenty of room in your heart for this sweet girlie. Olga will never be forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Steve! I am so happy for you and Dave. I just posted a video of Shirley and Murray on my blog, and then I went to read my followed blogs and I saw this wonderful post. I know what you mean about Olga. I felt that way about Murphy when I got Shirley. When I was watching the video Shirley came over and watched it with me. When she saw/heard the toy being demolished she whined!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Meeting you one at a time was a good strategy..and looks like it worked!

    ReplyDelete