Friday, September 25, 2026
Lobstah at Ballast Point
A day of errands yesterday. Specifically, I took my stepmother's better jewelry into town to get some appraisals and offers from jewelers who may want to buy it. My stepsister already got one appraisal and a single offer, and we wanted to confirm it was fair with more data.
I found a second jeweler who seemed promising, but when I brought them the jewelry they said it was too high-end for their store to sell quickly. (My translation: They didn't want to pay for it because they couldn't turn it around fast enough.) So they recommended another place, and I took it there, and sat while a woman named Kaila who looked scarcely old enough to be out of high school examined each piece. It was a very pleasant experience, actually, chatting with her while she tested the metals and scrutinized the stones. She made an offer in the end nearly identical to that of the first jeweler, plus an offer for a piece the first jeweler didn't want -- so there's our confirmation plus possibly an additional sale.
We may finalize some of these sales today, but first -- we're off to see yet another notary this morning! Fortunately, since I'm here in the USA, this should be a much easier process than the rigmarole I went through to get something notarized in London. My stepsister seemed to think it might not even cost us anything, which would be a refreshing change.
After the jewelry chore, I went to Ballast Point Park and sat overlooking the bay. The pier still isn't open after hurricane damage a couple of years ago -- it was closed when I went in February 2025 as well. It's not closed to the seagulls and terns, though, and they seem to love it.
I had a lobster roll with slaw and an iced tea at Leon's Lobstah Shack:
I sat out on their covered patio and spent most of my lunch trying to keep my napkins from blowing away. (Successfully, I might add.)
Afterwards I took a drive through South Tampa, passing this funky looking little drive-through coffee shop on the way.
I popped into a favorite thrift store and found a fantastic shirt from India featuring tigers on a pink background. It's in serious need of an ironing -- and if I'm saying that you know it's bad, because I never iron anything. Photo to come once I've spiffed it up a bit.
This sign is voicing the enthusiasm that every Floridian feels when the summer heat departs. It's actually not too terrible out there now -- humid, but bearable. Our high temperatures are in the low 80's F (roughly 28º or 29º C).
Last night my stepsister, her husband and my nephew went to dinner with my stepmother's sister (my step-aunt, I guess?) and her husband. About eight years ago, my stepmother gave me and Dave some cookbooks that belonged to her mother. We've kept them all this time, but we've never so much as opened them, so I decided to bring them back thinking my aunt might want them. As it turns out, my stepsister wanted them -- so anyway they've now found a new home back in Florida.
I had fantasies of making "Royal Diplomatic Pudding" and some of the other far-out, elaborate dishes in those old cookbooks, but let's face it -- I am not that person.
Dinner was a yummy caesar salad with shrimp and a martini. (I was not driving!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





I usually go by first names. I know someone named Kaila is going to be a lot lot younger than someone named Betty or Ardeth.
ReplyDeleteI have a date next Thursday with a notary. But as always around here, it is completely a free service.
Do they even have lobster's in Florida? I would have guessed not, or at least like the kind that comes from Maine. I can still close my eyes and get my mouth to water at the thought of that lobster roll and lobster bisque I had at a sea side food shack some five or six years ago now.
Good news on the jewelry and notary. Handling the estate can be such a chore so it's nice when it gets simplified.
ReplyDeleteIt's nice to know that the jewellery offers match up and the appraisers can be trusted isn't it. 'Leon's Lobstah Shack' reminds me of 'The Lobster Roll' the roadside food place in The Affair, a Netflix series.
ReplyDeleteSounds like you were successful with the jewelry. I smiled at the photo of the sign that said "Hello Fall". I guess it is all relative, but I have never thought that fall was a thing in Florida!
ReplyDeleteI remember using the ICE COLD AIR shop in Winter Park, for one of the two Toyota Corollas. (I had two white Corollas coupes at the same time.)
ReplyDeleteGood idea to get a second opinion on the jewellery. Love the coffee shop! It spells "Summer in Florida" very loudly to me, even though I have been to Florida (in Tampa and nearby) only once in my life, and that was 26 years ago.
ReplyDeleteAfter the extremely hot and dry summer we've had, I am welcoming autumn with arms wide open, too. It's still too dry but at least it's not baking hot any longer, and it's so easy now to air the flat in the mornings and when I return from work.
These stories of your step-mother's estate ensure that I will leave everything neat and tidy so that those left behind won't have much to deal with. I definitely don't have any jewelry worth any money, so there's that:)
ReplyDeleteI love that shot of the gulls. You're such a good photographer.
I Am So Digging Your Retirement - Excellent Write Up - Keep Shopping And All The Best Today With The Big Notary Stamp
ReplyDeleteLets See The Shirt ,
Cheers
Tampa is a seriously interesting place. It has funk and charm and history and different cultures and their food. Not to mention businesses, universities, a beautiful waterfront, and a heck of a lot more. I can't wait to see your shirt! And good job on bringing the cookbooks to your step-sister.
ReplyDeleteThose cookbooks are world travelers. It will be great to get the estate settled, if you ever do. A free notary? Not any more where I live. Cheapest is the library.
ReplyDeleteNobody wanted the jewelry? No daughters or granddaughters? Low 80s in Florida, we're still in mid-90s.
ReplyDeleteSounds like you are getting a lot done with your stepsister. Will you have a visit with your brother, too?
ReplyDeleteYour dinner and lunch sound great -- seafood is my favorite. And boy, you had super productive time. Then time for fun, too. Well done!
ReplyDeleteLobster rolls are an all-time favorite! I did not know lobster was available in FL, thinking they were only found in cold sea water.
ReplyDeleteSecuring a couple estimates on the jewelry is wise. Afterall, you do not want to give it away unless a family member wants it.
My local bank provides notary services for free by appointment for account holders.
Lucky find at the thrift shop!
A lobster roll sounds delicious! You got a lot done. I'm excited to see this new shirt you bought.
ReplyDeleteThe photo with the birds is fantastic!!
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like a great visit with cooperative weather, too. Thanks for showing us around.
ReplyDeleteI hope you told Leon about the unfortunate mis-spelling in his business's name. And as for "Royal Diplomatic Pudding", for a moment I thought you were referring to me!
ReplyDeleteThe water certainly looks very choppy.
ReplyDeleteI look forward to seeing the neatly pressed tee shirt.
I never make anything fancy although it is tempting to try out new recipes. They've been a disappointment in the past. I had the same experience with my step-grandmother's jewelry, especially her wedding ring. My cousin decided she wanted it after all; she thought we were being offered too little money even though I took it three places with similar offers. Sigh.
ReplyDeleteIt takes a long time to settle an estate even if things are quite orderly.
ReplyDeleteSounds as if things are going well, jewelry wise. It was 66° this morning in Jacksonville. Thought I'd die from happiness.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Janie
I have zero knowledge about jewellery and felt let down when I took my mother's pieces to a jeweller and was told rather snarkily that it was all "K-Mart Junk" and better off thrown away. I gave the whole bagful (very small bag) to the nearest opshop/thrift shop.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds as if you are having an interesting time sorting everything out with family.
ReplyDeleteLeon's Lobstah Shack: beautiful photo!
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear things are progressing.
ReplyDeleteMartini: I vaguely remember and old Hollywood movie with "tee many martoonis" and a quote from some other movie: "Blood is thicker than Martini" and then there's "shaken not stirred" 😎🙃😀