On our morning walk yesterday Bailey and I passed this wooden fence, which seemed to be keeping an eye on us. And looking none too happy about it, I might add.
Maybe it knew what was coming next.
Not long after that walk, Dave and I were sitting in the living room talking with our guests, and Bailey was snoozing on the couch. (On my lap, in fact.) She spotted something out the back door and immediately flew off the couch and outside, as she often does. I didn't think anything about it. Chasing squirrels, blah blah blah.
Only this time, Dave's nephew looked out the door and said, "Holy shit, she caught the squirrel!" And sure enough, there was Bailey, standing at the back door with a bloody motionless squirrel at her feet. She was very proud of herself, but as is often true when a dog kills a squirrel, she had no idea what to do next.
Of course I felt terrible all day, especially because I think this squirrel might be the one nesting in our walnut tree. All I could do was bury it. Nature, red in tooth and claw. (Though whether Bailey is really "nature" is debatable!)
This makes two creatures Bailey has definitely killed -- remember, she killed a rat in the garden within days of her arrival here. And she may have killed that bird in our bedroom, though that situation was so weird I hesitate to draw conclusions. I'm not entirely sure the bird didn't bonk itself into the window trying to get out.
Olga also killed a squirrel back in her youth, so this situation is not entirely unprecedented.
We mostly stuck to our neighborhood yesterday, taking Bailey to the cemetery in the afternoon. Then, last night, we took Dave's nephew and his fiancee to dinner at Fallow, which is probably Dave's favorite restaurant in London. This is the place that specializes in cooking and serving livestock that would otherwise go to waste -- their beef comes from dairy cows, for example, and one of their specialties is cod's head, a part of the fish that would normally be discarded. (A cod's head is huge and they serve just half of it -- and there's a surprisingly large amount of good meat on it.)
Then we went to see "Book of Mormon," which Dave thought his nephew would appreciate. We saw it 13 years ago (!) and loved it, but there's a lot I'd forgotten -- it's by the same guys who write "South Park" so the humor is very edgy and in some places downright cringey. They enjoyed it and so did we, but I'm not sure that show has entirely aged well. (It's been adapted a bit over the years, with Jeffrey Epstein now written into the script, among other changes.) The first time around I called it "a little bit shocking, in a good way" and it remains shocking, but I'm less sure about the good.
And just now, as I was writing, a squirrel ran up the avocado tree on the patio right outside our living room window. Bailey is going nuts.
These squirrels clearly have a death wish!
Apropos of nothing, I wanted to also share this photo from our walk on Friday of the Ukrainian flag flying atop a building near Parliament Square. I was happy to see it occupying a prominent place on the London skyline, and thus hopefully in people's minds.
Only this time, Dave's nephew looked out the door and said, "Holy shit, she caught the squirrel!" And sure enough, there was Bailey, standing at the back door with a bloody motionless squirrel at her feet. She was very proud of herself, but as is often true when a dog kills a squirrel, she had no idea what to do next.
Of course I felt terrible all day, especially because I think this squirrel might be the one nesting in our walnut tree. All I could do was bury it. Nature, red in tooth and claw. (Though whether Bailey is really "nature" is debatable!)
This makes two creatures Bailey has definitely killed -- remember, she killed a rat in the garden within days of her arrival here. And she may have killed that bird in our bedroom, though that situation was so weird I hesitate to draw conclusions. I'm not entirely sure the bird didn't bonk itself into the window trying to get out.
Olga also killed a squirrel back in her youth, so this situation is not entirely unprecedented.
We mostly stuck to our neighborhood yesterday, taking Bailey to the cemetery in the afternoon. Then, last night, we took Dave's nephew and his fiancee to dinner at Fallow, which is probably Dave's favorite restaurant in London. This is the place that specializes in cooking and serving livestock that would otherwise go to waste -- their beef comes from dairy cows, for example, and one of their specialties is cod's head, a part of the fish that would normally be discarded. (A cod's head is huge and they serve just half of it -- and there's a surprisingly large amount of good meat on it.)
Then we went to see "Book of Mormon," which Dave thought his nephew would appreciate. We saw it 13 years ago (!) and loved it, but there's a lot I'd forgotten -- it's by the same guys who write "South Park" so the humor is very edgy and in some places downright cringey. They enjoyed it and so did we, but I'm not sure that show has entirely aged well. (It's been adapted a bit over the years, with Jeffrey Epstein now written into the script, among other changes.) The first time around I called it "a little bit shocking, in a good way" and it remains shocking, but I'm less sure about the good.
And just now, as I was writing, a squirrel ran up the avocado tree on the patio right outside our living room window. Bailey is going nuts.
These squirrels clearly have a death wish!
Apropos of nothing, I wanted to also share this photo from our walk on Friday of the Ukrainian flag flying atop a building near Parliament Square. I was happy to see it occupying a prominent place on the London skyline, and thus hopefully in people's minds.




The knots on the fence - what a good spot! Did you edit the colours? As for the funeral of poor Steve Squirrel, I trust you recited the dead squirrel prayer...
ReplyDeleteSquirrel, I honour your last breath
Squirrel, I aid your soul's release
Squirrel, I cry for your spilt blood
Squirrel, I pray that you find peace
That's one down. An estimated 2.7 million living in Great Britain to go. Wake up Bailey! You got work to do gal!
The colors are unedited! Sadly I think Bailey would treat British red squirrels just as harshly as the American grey ones. She does not discriminate. (Not that there are any red ones anywhere around us.)
DeleteOur cats bring in mice, if killed they don't know what to do with them, we have had loads of live mice as well. I love the fence, big brother and all that!
ReplyDeleteCats are less immediate in their killing, and they tend to play with the prey a while. Dogs kill it outright.
DeleteBailey must be a very speedy dog!
ReplyDeleteI shouldn't worry too much about one less because as pigeons are rats with wings then squirrels are rats with bushy tails - but more fun to watch!
It's true -- we certainly aren't lacking for squirrels around here, even with that one down.
DeleteBailey is fast. I’ve never seen a dog catch a squirrel. They’re usually much too quick and alert. So sweet of her to bring it to all of you. I love the fence and its eyebrows.
ReplyDeleteShe was trying to provide!
DeleteWell at least she has a hunting spark in her body, she won't go hungry when the Apocalypse arrives ;)
ReplyDeleteIt's true. She is equipped to survive on her own! (Hopefully it won't come to that, though. :) )
DeleteMy neighbor's Jack Russell has killed several squirrels that ventured onto the patio. The friend's buried a few, but the message doesn't seem to get around the squirrel community. He's okay with cats, fortunately.
ReplyDeleteI think Jack Russels are bred to be rodent-killers, aren't they? As are terriers of many types.
DeleteThat 'eye' fence is very cool; I'd be worried about it following me home.
ReplyDeleteAnd Bailey was just being a dog; it's all about the chase never about the aftermath.
It's true! They're never that interested in the prey after they've killed it.
DeleteDynamite Girl - Love That Fence !!
ReplyDeleteCheers
Crazy, isn't it?!
DeleteLove that Ukrainian flag view and the fence, too. That Bailey! Boy, that's a lovely sight for guests to see! She's got an instinct, that's for sure -- and a lot faster than I would have suspected.
ReplyDeleteWell, Dave's nephew is a hunter and he and his fiancee live in rural Michigan, so this isn't anything they haven't seen before.
DeleteI have to wonder if the person building that fence saw the knots in the wood and made sure they were aligned properly. It's almost too good.
ReplyDeleteThis is the thing about our pets- dogs, and cats both. They may appear to be domesticated, they may sleep on our pillows, they may eat the special foods we give them but a moment can arise which releases the wild in them. Bailey's inner wolf took over long enough for her to catch and kill that squirrel.
It can be a bit disconcerting, can't it?
You might be right that the "eyes" were lined up deliberately. I think the boards are usually cut sequentially and nailed to the fence in order, so you often see boards with the same knots in them -- but not quite like this! Plus the way they've discolored as they've weathered is pretty cool.
DeleteYes, our pets are wilder than we'd ideally like them to be!
You might want to try training Bailey to "leave it!" when she goes after something on your walks ... carry treats when she obeys! When she hightails it out the door ... do the same thing ... "leave it! Leave it!"
ReplyDeleteSquirrels may be a dime a dozen there, but still ... training her will be a plus for the squirrel community!
Oh, we use the "leave it" command all the time. She may or may not listen!
DeleteThe eyes on the fence are great. The artist did a nice job carving them.
ReplyDeleteBailey has the drive to hunt. Her instinct takes over very quickly and she's fast.
Teaching her the "leave it" command (as Marcia suggests) is a good idea.
Being on the other end of her leash when she suddenly goes into hot pursuit could cause you to fall or twist an ankle.
The eyes aren't carved -- they're natural knots in the wood that just look like eyes when positioned next to each other. I'm pretty strong (if I do say so myself) and Bailey hasn't pulled me over yet, but I can see how as I get older that might be a problem. (Of course, she'll be getting older too.)
DeleteI love that picture of the violas growing out of a tiny crack in the concrete. Surely whoever built that fence noticed the knots and purposely flipped the board. Looks like an owl face peering out. Minnie doesn't even bother to chase squirrels anymore but she is 11 now.
ReplyDeleteAren't those violas great? I love how readily they re-seed. You may be right about the knots.
DeleteSome future archeologist is going to wonder what the heck was going on in your back yard with all the different animal burials.
ReplyDeleteHa! It IS beginning to be a little like "Pet Sematary" back there!
DeleteThose eyes on the fence are very striking. You can't help but feel watched. Sorry to hear about the squirrel. I have to keep reminding myself that hunting is normal behavior for animals. I saw The Book of Mormon years ago and I'm a pretty open minded person but, I did find it a bit too cringe-worthy for my taste. It certainly has maintained it's staying power. It's still playing in New York and London.
ReplyDeleteYeah, Dave and I were marveling at how long it's been running. Imagine how much money it's made for its creators!
DeleteMari would love to get outside to kill birds. Animals do have that predatory instinct, even for the cute animals. :( I've never seen Book of Mormon; I don't know much about it--does it skewer the LDS religion?
ReplyDeleteYeah, it satirizes the experiences of Mormon missionaries in Africa.
DeleteHow about that! Bailey provided some entertainment for your guests! It happens more often than you'd think around here. In fact, Fred and Grady are both walking wounded at the moment from something they took on (much larger than a squirrel).
ReplyDeleteI hope Bailey doesn't accidentally knock over the TV in her excitement!
I'm sure if we lived in a more rural place Bailey would be bringing home more than just a single squirrel! (And would probably be walking wounded herself.)
DeleteThat fence is creepy!
ReplyDeleteAaw, poor squirrel. It won‘t have babies this time of year, but I can‘t help feeling sorry for it and just hope it was all over in a flash.
I was actually worried that it might have babies or be pregnant, so I'm glad you don't think that's likely.
DeleteI like Marcia's advice about training Bailey to "leave it". What if she went after a sickly animal or a dangerous animal that might hurt her. I worry about those types of things.
ReplyDeleteCute shots of the fence and the flowers!
I don't think anything in our garden could hurt Bailey, though a fox might do her some damage. I think you just have to let dogs be dogs, especially on their own turf. When I'm out walking her I tell her to "leave it" all the time.
DeleteYou've got a very talented dog whether you like it or not.
ReplyDeleteHa! That's one way to put it!
DeleteI feel sorry for the squirrel and proud of Bailey at the same time. The little patch of "johnny-jump-ups" is lovely, I haven't seen any in quite a while.
ReplyDeleteThey seeded themselves from a nearby planter.
DeleteBailey brought the squirrel to the door to show her love and respect for you. You're supposed to cook the squirrel for supper. The fence makes me think of the eyes of Doctor T.J. Eckleburg in The Great Gatsby. Those eyes are going to watch everything you do for the rest of your life. The squirrel knows.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Janie
Ha! Yes, I remember the eyes of T.J. Eckleburg! Dave and I joked that if we were really ecologically minded we would be eating that squirrel.
DeleteThat fence is spooky. Bailey must be very quick on her feet. Cue the chorus: 'It's the ciiiiircle of liiiiife....'
ReplyDeleteDo you suppose the Book of Mormon is cringierg because the times we are living in are cringier?
Or maybe I'm just more sensitized to humor that appears to make fun of people. I think as a society we've moved away from that since "South Park" and "The Book of Mormon" first came out.
DeleteLiving on the edge of red squirrel territory, I have no qualms about despatching the greys - rats with bushy tails!
ReplyDeleteWell, one down, several zillion to go!
Delete